XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

As long as you use a quality oil the sump temp should be +95°C. Most oils these days are good up to at least.

Here is a good article from an oil supplier, they quote 100°c operating temp.

engine oil Archives - Oil and Energy Pty Ltd

What Is The Optimum Engine Oil Temperature? - Hot Rod Network

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 2,662 Posts

Hi Guys

Now I'm really confused, with what appears to be a bit of a difference of opinion on Oil Temps.

Warrjon: Many thanks for that link, that Article was 'Mega Interesting'

I also really like Gregs idea, of 'Checking Engine' Temps so I'll make a start with my Grey XJS which has an Original OEM Oil Cooler.

By taking some readings with my Infra Red Thermometer, at the Places that Greg has suggested and then use those as a Control Sample.

To compare the Readings on my Red Car, which is only fitted with an Oil by pass pipe.

At least it is at the moment, until I fit an After-Market Oil Cooler.

My Indispensable Infra Red Thermometer came in very handy for Checking the Temperature in the Loft during Winter.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The problem with the full flow oil cooler is the thickness of the bars, it blocks air flow to the radiator, my oil cooler the bars are as thick as the fins effectively blocking almost 50% of the air flow through it to bottom of the radiator.

Engine oils are designed to work around 100°C and oil temperature will not vary (in a properly operating system) much even between hot and cold days.

What is important is to use a good quality oil, I have seen test results where Castrol GTX mineral oil out performed Valvoline VR1 synthetic at 120°C for load carrying (ie ability to reduce wear)

Coolant temps are far more important to keep lower, try to keep water temps around the 85°C mark.

Now on to the Infra Red Thermometer. Be careful when measuring temps with an IRT in an engine bay, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Distance to Spot ratio (DTS) as you move the IRT away from the target the measuring spot gets bigger. The IRT averages the reading over the entire spot area. So if you point it at a hose and the IRT is too far away you could also be measuring the exhaust heat shield giving you an incorrect reading.

Matt black surfaces will give you the most accurate reading and polished shiny surfaces will give you the most inaccurate reading. Could vary ±10°C.

If you have the IRT too close the reading will be out but most likely only a couple of degrees. The IRT should have the calibrated distance on a label on the IRT. But in an engine bay better to be too close than too far away.

I used to repair and calibrate IRT's for Australian military.

I'll stop my rant now. I've taken my meds...........

The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Jonathan-W (03-04-2017), orangeblossom (03-04-2017), paydase (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,403 Likes on 5,511 Posts

OB, as Warrjon said, a far far more accurate way to measure temps like these is the gadget I spent 10 whole pounds on, a remote sensing job with wires where you actually tape the capturing end to the item concerned.
I have an IR thingy as well, but could never get properly reliable repeatable temps from it, let alone point it at the correct places!
This is the sort of thing I mean:
1300°C Digital LCD Dual Channel 2 K Type Thermometer Thermocouple Sensor Trusty | eBay
Two channels is best, so you can be sure you are measuring (eg) cooler in and out temps under identical conditions
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 03-04-2017 at 02:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Jonathan-W (03-04-2017), orangeblossom (03-05-2017), paydase (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Cheers!

I will bear in mind your advice about the Full Flow Cooler and as for Oil I am using Semi Synthetic 10/40 Castrol Magnetec.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Just had a look at that Thermometer Gadget.

Maybe obvious to you but why do some of these have Two Channels, just wondering what you use it for, or why you would need it anyway?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts

Warren is spot on wrt IRT's.
It's important to be close enough to the measured component, avoiding other areas interference as far as possible.
Also try to target dark and rugged enough surfaces, to mitigate the emissivity issue.
Finally, if possible try to measure always on the same targets so to be able to compare with previous temperatures and detect evolutions.
But I agree that these devices are very handy and practical, I've also bought one.

Greg is right wrt to the relevance of thermocouples to make absolute and accurate measurements.
Unfortunately, thermocouple based thermometers are not as practical as IRT's.
Useful though to identify precisely what is going on.

orangeblossom (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paydase

That Hand Held Thermometer comes in really useful but I think you are right you need both and need to take the readings from exactly the same spot whenever possible.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

On the way home last night, I was looking through the Window of a Shop that sells Old

Posters and Old Football Magazines.

And in one of the Boxes in the Window, was what looked like Original Jaguar Post

Cards, which looked like they were something that maybe Jaguar gave away as some

sort of Marketing 'Freebee'

There were only about Four of them, hard to see through the Window as being Sunday

Night the Shop was closed but one looked like it was an XJS Facelift Convertible.

There was also loads of other Jaguar related Stuff, again hard to see through the

Window at night.

Has anyone heard of these Postcards before?

From what I could see they looked like the real deal, as produced by the factory.

Do you think they might be worth getting?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

only to us

orangeblossom (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan

Couldn't resist the Temptation!

In fact I bought the whole boxful of Jag Stuff they had but here is one of the Cards.

Original unwritten Post Card Jaguar XJS Celebration Convertible

Reverse Side of one of the Jaguar Postcards but only one of the Jaguar XJS

Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

I would have TOO!

orangeblossom (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan

I've just been having a Sort through some of the Stuff that was in the Box and found some really interesting Items.

One of which could be useful to XJS and other Jaguar Owners and I've never seen anything like this in my life!

Its 'Similar' to a Brochure and has a list of all the Various Jaguar Wheel Options, that were available at the time that you placed your order for a Car.

On the Cover are Photos of various Jags, with empty holes where the Wheels should be and inside is a Sliding Card, with Photos of the Wheels without the Cars.

And so by Sliding this Card in or out, you can see which Wheels would look best on your Jag.

Its really worthy of a Decent Photo, so I'll try and do one Tomorrow and put it up on here.

Jonathan-W (03-09-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Does the oil cooler go bad often? I mean is it a problem area for most cars?

Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Default First Run of the Year for 'The Bullet' my 'Grey XJS'

With Winter now finally over, I can get back to working on 'Cherry Blossom' my Red XJS while also getting my Grey XJS out of 'mothballs'

And though I wasn't intending to Road Tax this Car until April, in the UK we are having some unusually very nice Weather and so I thought to hell

with it 'Why Not'!

So back Taxing her from the 1st of March, so I could drive her to-day on March 11th, I Started her up and then backed her out of the Garage.

Then having done some 'Pre Flight' Checks decided to go on a short 'shake down' run out to 'Tesco's' to fill her up with 'Momentum' Tesco's

finest 99 Octane Petrol.

There is something incredibly Special about the 'First Run Of The year' and didn't know if the novelty of owning such a wonderful Car might have

finally worn off, to the point where driving her now would feel quite normal.

But as I climbed aboard her for the 'Maiden Voyage' I have to admit I was feeling quite sick with excitement, while the GF with instructions in

hand, was trying to master the Stereo, which I had recently fitted.

Then as She purred out of the driveway, I snicked the Shifter into 'D' put on a pair of Shades and off we went and couldn't help feeling the eyes

of the World were upon us, as heads were now turning in our direction as we sped off down the road.

With the Exhaust Pipes roaring like Blowtorches, even though we were just doing 30 mph until that is we got onto the Freeway, by which time the

GF had now got to grips with the ICE.

Where for reasons unknown She just happened to pick one of my favorite Tracks of all time, which is that Awesome Salsa Bopper 'Dance The

Night Away' (The Mavericks) and if that doesn't 'do it for you' maybe nothing will.

So now with her warmed up and running on point we then headed off to the Garage and when we pulled onto the Forecourt, in the looks

department you can see why this Car 'Slays'

There are no words that adequately can hope to describe it, though maybe you could start with 'WOW!' and then take it from there, as I swear

that I could taste my own blood start to trickle down my throat. 'Its that sort of Car'

But that kind of pleasure just doesn't come Cheap and as such there's always a downside, where starting with an almost empty Fuel Tank, I put

£100 worth in, as I didn't see much point in filling her right up!

So having left the Garage, we thought that we would Celebrate and go out somewhere for a bite to eat, at a Famous 'Fish and Chip' Shop that

was only 60 miles away!

All in all a great day out that didn't disappoint in any way but where the hell did all that Petrol go!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-12-2017 at 03:18 AM.
warrjon (03-11-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsCat
Does the oil cooler go bad often? I mean is it a problem area for most cars?
Not a problem area in my experience but l make a point of anti seize on the union threads. If left to corrode it will be a problem undoing them.

Daim (03-12-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Default But Why do you call a 'Garage' a 'Shop'?

I came across this Article I thought I'd like to Share, though I reckon they've missed quite a few, so if they're Car related please feel free to add them on.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/uk-us-c..._medium=native

Old 03-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Here ya'r!

XJS, LIMMO, XJ6 Series 3, Jaguar OE Viscous Fan New Old Stock EBC4553 | eBay

Brand new untouched new old stock fan blade...

The right part, the right colour, the right item

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
Jonathan-W (03-15-2017), orangeblossom (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

I got one exactly the same as that off a scrap XJ6 that didn't have any Stress Cracks but the dish wasn't deep enough and so the Blades touched the Belts.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I thought it was a black one?

orangeblossom (03-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12