XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
I used to have almost as much as that, but now I'm confident with the car I only keep a fire extinguisher and tools to change a wheel.
Once you get confidence in your's you can trim the tools down too
too true...
when on the way home from work the alternator belt broke... I knew because the warning light came on and voltage dropped on the meter...
still she drove fine all the way home...
and started and drove on to the ramps so I could change all the belts and have the fan shroud powder coated.... and still started again to roll her off the ramp... must be a good battery...
I have sun cover for the top down parking.. and some blankets to place over for cat protection... and a car cover... fire ext. and fluids and a few wrenches also

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-04-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,809 Likes on 2,637 Posts

Hi Warrjon

Now that I've got that 1/4 - 3/8 Socket Set, that in itself has helped to reduce the need that I was feeling to carry so many Spanners.

The Problem in the UK right now is the Weather and I haven't had a Trip out ever since I fitted my 'New' Shock Absorber Bushes.

So I can't even tell what difference they may or may not have made until I do.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan

Weather in the UK seems to consist of Sunshine and Showers at the moment, which is not very confidence building.

As most of what passes for Summer, was spent working on 'Cherry' and getting her back on the road after such a long time.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bro

Paranoia really set in when I thought that I'd got a dropped valve

So I basically filled the Car up with Tools every time that I went out (probably not something you can fix at the side of the road Lol)

Pics are on the way Bro but I need to get out and find some Scenic locations.

paulyling (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

We get a fair bit of rain in winter where I live, I just get out and drive, we did a 300km trip today and I noticed the wiper blades need replacing.

orangeblossom (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

In the UK its 'meant to be Summer' although you wouldn't know it at the moment, so not much point in driving a Convertible with the Top up. 'I'd rather wait for the day'

The MOT had some Amusing Moments, when the Tester also noticed that her Wiper Blades could be in need of replacement

(The rubber had gone hard through lack of use)

Then just for a moment everything stopped as he looked at the look of Horror that he could see on my face.

Him: 'You don't take her out in the rain'

Me: (Stony Silence) moving my head from side to side as if to say 'I think you must be joking'

Him: 'Just Sayin' anyway She's Passed!

Me: No Words but crying tears of Joy, as I ended up hugging the Tester, like a long lost friend.

(I love those guys!)

Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

Alex

might be an idea to carry a reel of hose repair tape. Got me out of the brown stuff once, not in the jag but in one of my old cabs. It wont always work but it could get you home

orangeblossom (08-05-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leo newbiggin
Alex

might be an idea to carry a reel of hose repair tape. Got me out of the brown stuff once, not in the jag but in one of my old cabs. It wont always work but it could get you home
Hi Leo

Great idea and its already there in the pic.

And what's more its not raining! (at the moment) so who knows we may even do a trip to test out those Shock Absorber Bushes I put on.

But the Weather is so unpredictable that it can change in a blink.

A Roll of 'Gaffer Tape' always comes in handy

Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Default Major Problems on the Test Drive after 17 Years of Restoration

First of all the Speedometer decided to Stop Working, causing the Speedometer Needle to fall back to Zero, just as I was driving over a Railway Crossing

at no more than 20/25mph on this very tight dangerous bend.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I then retraced my steps and did it again although the Speedo worked perfectly when I drove over it a Second Time.

This was followed by what could be a Major Mechanical Problem, so I'm going to have a Word with Greg and the Wizard and then report back.

To be continued..............

Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Default It looks like I'll be needing my New Socket Set!

Its All Gone Horribly Wrong!

Looks Like I will Have To Pull Her Apart All Over Again

Fan Clutch Seized!

Please Remind Me why I bought one of these Cars

It Started off as such a Perfect Day, with the Sky covered in White Fluffy Clouds and even the Sun was Shining.

Even my New Shock Absorber Bushes had improved the Handling just a 'little bit' but more about those later. (It makes interesting reading!)

So after having a leisurely drive to our favorite Picnic spot, we headed for home, where on the way I could easily tell that something wasn't quite right.

She Started to run Colder and the Marker on the barrel gauge was falling, which was then accompanied by a Roaring Sound from under the Bonnet/Hood.

I'd recently heard the very same sound coming from my Merc, which was a faulty Thermostat on the Fan Clutch.

So knowing what the Problem was, I knew I'd get her home although I had a feeling that putting her right was not about to be an easy fix.

Removing the Fan on a Merc is a Ten Minute job and if you can't replace the Radiator in about 30 Minutes, then you are not really trying.

Whereas fixing an XJS can often be measured in days.

Having got back to Base in one piece, I had a look under the Bonnet/Hood where further inspection confirmed that the Fan Clutch was Seized.

Seized to the extent I couldn't turn it, even with the ignition off and after giving the Engine plenty of time to Cool down.

At which point I am totally lost and haven't a Clue how to fix it, as I have never ever heard of a Fan Clutch Seizing before.

I'm hoping that Greg and the Wizard together with the rest of you guys, will be able to help, even if its only in the form of some moral support.

But in any event it looks as though I will have to pull her to bits and then start over.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Fan clutches seizing up is not particularly unusual.

Not a terribly difficult fix; you've been thru worse.

In a nutshell....

Remove four nuts holding the clutch to engine. Fiddly task; loosen one nut a few turns and go to the next; loosen a few turns and go to the next; repeat, repeat until the clutch can be shifted forward enough to actually remove the nuts.

Remove fan and clutch from the car as an assembly and take to the workbench.

Remove old clutch from the fan; install new clutch; reassemble.

Replace fan itself if in any doubt as to age or condition.

As I recall you'll have to remove the fan shroud attachments/fasteners so the shroud can be shifted aside a bit to allow working room and allow the fan and clutch assembly to be wriggled out.

Have extra nuts on hand. I can almost promise you'll drop a few into the abyss of the engine bay, never to be seen again.

It isn't the most pleasant job but you'll get through it!

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 08-07-2017 at 08:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Jonathan-W (08-07-2017), orangeblossom (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

This might help a bit

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...and-drive-unit

The fan is attached to the clutch using bolts (item #3 in the illustration.)

The clutch is attached to the engine (a pulley, more specifically) via studs, washers, and nuts ( #5,6,7)

Cheers
DD

orangeblossom (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug

Cheers!

This sounds like a Fun Job (not) would I need to take the Top Closing Panel and the Cross Pipes off?

I can't seem to remember how I did it the first time.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Space around there is extremely tight. After I dove in and managed to loosen and then remove the four nuts, I thought there would be absolutely no way to re-attach it... But after stepping back from the car and drinking some amount of non-H2O fluid and calming down sufficiently, I managed to put it back in place, eventually. I was not able to re-use washers -- they kept falling. So, I just tighten the nuts.

Will require a lot of patience. A lot of patience. Be prepared to swear a lot, too

orangeblossom (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hi V1roK

Cheers!

One of the worst parts is that I will have to drive over 10 Miles just to pick up some more nuts and washers 5/16 UNF (I believe)

They don't sell anything UNF where I live, no tuning Shops like in the USA

Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
One of the worst parts is that I will have to drive over 10 Miles just to pick up some more nuts and washers 5/16 UNF (I believe)

They don't sell anything UNF where I live, no tuning Shops like in the USA
One of the most underrated little tools I got that I absolutely love and use on regular basis is a telescopic stick with a magnet. Surprisingly, I am able t target and recover more than 80% of dropped nuts, bolts, and washers. Well worth $10 I paid for the stick, in my opinion

orangeblossom (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

If I recall correctly, and that's a big IF, I was able to remove and replace my clutch without pulling the shroud. It was fiddly as could be but possible.

The first difficulty youre you're going to run into is not being able to rotate the fan to access each of the four nuts!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Around 2014 I replaced all belt at the front. In order to do that, I removed the fan. It can be taken out from the top. It is fiddly but it can be done. I think I loosend the bolts that hold the radiator pack in place to gain a bit more access.

Btw., the viscous clutch couldn't care at all about if the ignition was on or not There is no electrical connection to it. The only thing is, ignition off means engine is off and no risk of touching some moving blades...

I'd either get a new one (cost something like £150 or so from SNG) or a good used one. And while you're at it, maybe see if the new black fan fit the new unit better... Just a suggestion.

Thumbs up!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Vrok

Cheers!

I'll get one.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
If I recall correctly, and that's a big IF, I was able to remove and replace my clutch without pulling the shroud. It was fiddly as could be but possible.

The first difficulty youre you're going to run into is not being able to rotate the fan to access each of the four nuts!
Hi Jig Jag

As I've got to pull it all to bits, I was wondering if I ought to invest in one of those Silent Electric Fans, that fit inside the Shroud like you've got on your Car.

Did you finish doing your evaluation?

Please could you give me the make and model again, so I can do the maths and weigh up the options.

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12