Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak on 'Cherry Blossom'

Power Steering Leak!
On 'Cherry Blossom'

I think I just committed one of the 7 deadly Sins!

Not Checking my 'Power Steering Fluid'

As Checking it and Topping it up, is one hell of a lot easier than having to repair or replace a Power Steering Pump.

I can well remember the Chill that ran down my spine, as I removed the Screw Cap from the Power Steering Reservoir and looked down the neck with a Torch.

All I could see was Bare Metal OMG!

Have I completely messed it up or else just got there in the nick of time?

There was only one way to find out and that was Top it up with Dextron 111 and then wait and see what happens.

But there was a problem:

For reasons that cannot be explained, the Filler on that Reservoir is underneath a hose and is in a really difficult place to get to.

Which is possibly one of the reasons why Checking the Power Steering Fluid often sometimes gets a little neglected.

But not any more!

As I made up a simple little device to make Topping it up a lot easier.

All you need is a Plastic Container with a Pump on Top and for this I used an empty bottle of Shower Gel, after Washing it out and drying it first.

Then all I did was to push on a length of Plastic Tubing on the Spout and you could also use something like a Golf Tee or a Screw, to Block off the end when not in use.

Fill it up with Power Steering Fluid and then you are good to go!

But whether I've got a leak or not, I don't as yet know but I checked it after a 100 mile Trip and the level hadn't gone down.

And now I check it every time that I take the Car out.

So far so good at the moment but 'The Jaguar Gods' will decide.

Home made device for Topping Up The Power Steering Fluid.
All you need is a Plastic Bottle with a Pump on Top and a piece of Plastic Tube.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-08-2017 at 06:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (09-10-2017), paulyling (09-10-2017), warrjon (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,870 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Location of the power steering cap/dipstick is one of those "interesting design features"

Clever bit with the hand pump thingy.

I have a slender funnel that I can *just* wriggle into position for topping-up....and a drippy steering rack means I've become rather adept at doing so.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

That's a pretty good reuse! Not for brake fluid or other hygroscopic stuff.

I've drilled a 1/4" hole in the cap of the bottle before. Finger on it, upside down, put it right at the opening and uncover. Nice little controllable stream, and you can easily switch it on and off. A bolt seals it up nicely.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

God DAM do you how long I have been using a funnel and garden hose and over filling the PS reservoir.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:12 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

G'day OB

I have been dealing with the exact same problem for some time now. One day I went to check the reservoir and it was bone dry. I freaked out too lol!

I can see it leaking around the rubber boots of the rack and pinion underneath.

I have been talking to the great WoOz and he has recommend for me to swap the DEXIII for a fully synthetic PS fluid. Sometimes if you are lucky enough it will seal up the leak. Also you can purchase PS fluid stop leak fluid to add to it as well however Grant warned that some of it is just "snake oil".

Obviously it isn't going to do too much if it is too serious but the WoOz has said this method has brought him some success of the years.

He mentioned to me to syringe out any remaining DEXIII you can. Add the fully synthetic, but don't overfill. Turn on the car and full lock your steering back and forth 3 - 4 times. Now, check your reservoir and add if needed. Lather rinse repeat for about 3 or 4 goes and it should be enough to seal up the leak if not too bad.

Finally top it off with an egg cup full of the "Stop leak" snake oil for good measure.

I think this was pretty much it.

I did the same method to mine, only after 1 go round she seems to have stopped leaking for now. I still think I have a slow leak but driving it heaps and keeping an eye on it.

I hope I para phrased all this right. If there are any errors it would be on my behalf and not the great WoOZ lol

Last edited by paulyling; 09-10-2017 at 02:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by paulyling:
Grant Francis (09-10-2017), orangeblossom (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Don't use leak stop... That stops leaks, sure, but also blocks fine channels...

paulyling (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:40 AM

cheers Daim. To be honest i haven't used my stop leak yet. Just the full synthetic fluid.

When you say fine channels, do you mean some stop leaks block up the Power Steering System?

Old 09-10-2017, 05:52 AM
Received 10,466 Likes on 6,911 Posts

Alex,

Well bloody done.

You nicked HER Body Wash for power steer top up, AND the mincer machine (camera bracket), MAAAAAAATE, you are one VERY brave Jag owner.

OR

You have failed to inform her once again, and will just duck a tad quicker when she does find out, HA

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-10-2017 at 05:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
orangeblossom (09-10-2017), paulyling (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

OB,

Your XJS will be fine, fairly certain that if the PS was completely empty you would have noticed!
If you try to turn steering without power assistance you will know what I mean.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul_59:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
cheers Daim. To be honest i haven't used my stop leak yet. Just the full synthetic fluid.

When you say fine channels, do you mean some stop leaks block up the Power Steering System?
Yep. The little channels in the pinion tower for example.

Always think: leak stop has something g in it to stop leaks. But the same stuff will block as well.

Jaguar used to say to fill some rad weld or what ever they called it back then into the cooling system incase of any leaks. The stuff though would also reduce radiator flow...

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Some stop leak products are designed to soften older, hardened seals so they'll have some chance of actually sealing again.

I've used this product a couple times. I think it's a seal softener; not sure.

https://lucasoil.com/products/proble...ring-stop-leak

It isn't quite the miracle product that the advertising copy would suggest but it absolutely did stop some *minor* R&P leaks and with no negative consequences that I was able to discern.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (09-10-2017), orangeblossom (09-10-2017), paulyling (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
OB,

Your XJS will be fine, fairly certain that if the PS was completely empty you would have noticed!
If you try to turn steering without power assistance you will know what I mean.

Significantly low fluid level typically announces itself by a pronounced growling from the pump. Then, about a day later, usually, you'll start feeling the assist diminish....which is your second reminder to top-off

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

if you want to go safe, ypu can overhaul the pump... The Saginaws are really simple. I overhauled mine around 2014. New seals, new coat of paint and done. Nothing else required.

orangeblossom (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Can You Tow An XJS
In Neutral?

Hi Guys

Nothing Bad's happened, at least not yet but I do have a bit of a problem, or should that be a dilemma.

My Three Car Garage only holds Two Cars, as the Space for the Third one is given over to Tools and Workshop Space.

Outside, I've got a Car Port with a Car Lifter underneath, where my Best XJS 'Cherry Blossom' had been sitting unloved, unused and un-started for 14 Years.

How I'm not looking at a pile of rust I'll never know but She looks every bit as good as the day I took the keys out and then just walked away and left her there.

Just as good apart that is from an absolute Shed load, of Mechanical Problems to sort out, where my Automotive Skills were Zero.

And if it wasn't for help from you Guys, She would still be sitting there now.

A very Special mention to Forum 'Legends' 'Greg and Grant' for guiding me every step of the way.

From the moment I picked up a Spanner in earnest for the very first time, although of course I'm really into it now.

Not forgetting 'Warrjon' (Ace Auto Electrician) as well as Guys like 'Daim' who has 'almost' convinced me, that every job is easier if you take the Engine out! (Lol)

And my 'Bro' Paul, who I can bounce ideas off and picks me up whenever I've felt low.

Ok now back to the plot!

I absolutely do not want to leave my best car 'Cherry Blossom' out in all Weathers this year, as now I've got her running I want her tucked up in the Garage for the Winter.

Also the same with my Grey XJS '50 Shades'

As things stand at the moment my Third XJS 'The Ice Princess' will need a lot of work to get her mobile.

So what I was thinking of doing was to Tow her out of the Garage and leave her outside for the Winter 'Covered Up'

Then I would have enough room for the other 2 Cars.

The only alternative being to keep all the Tools outside, so that I can get 3 Cars in the Garage and hope they don't get stolen but even so 3 Cars in the Garage is still a bit of a squeeze.

Any ideas?

paulyling (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,032 Likes on 2,014 Posts

OB,

A suggestion:

As you've said you "absolutely do not want to leave CB outside this winter", and as IP needs a lot of work (better done in the garage than outside), then why not leave 50SoG outside with a good cover on her? Take her out for regular drives on nice crisp winter days, as you'll have no excuse when she's just sitting there waiting to be driven. Remember you get extra street cred driving an XJS in the snow!

As you've seen with CB, a good cover and plenty of airflow means that cars can last very well outside. My convertible was outside for 13 years, sometimes under 6" of snow, no cover and driven every day at one time. And it still looks pretty good! 50SoG will be fine! You just know that if you cram 3 cars in the garage and move out all the tools, you won't drive any of them and you won't get any work done on any of the cars!

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 09-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (09-11-2017), paulyling (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Do you guys have rental storage over there in the UK?

You could hire a storage place for one of your kitty's.

Overhere we have these secure compounds with little roller door garages. You pay the fee and swipe the key. Come and go as you please. People move boxes in there when they are in the middle of moving, some people put cars in there etc.

Just a thought. Might be pricey though.

orangeblossom (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding the towing question...

YES, you CAN tow an automatic in neutral BUT there is an important rule... I know it in kph: 30 km @ 30 kph. So that woukd be round about no more than 20 mi @ 20 mph. The reasons are simple:

1. The transmission oil pump will not be spinning (it is powered by the engine on the input shaft via the torque convertor)
2. ATF is not only a lubricant but also a coolant (hence why it is cooled)
3. Any more than 20 miles/30 km is better getting a tow truck out

IF I had to tow mine, I'd whip under the car and disconnect the four bolts on the differential between input shaft and prop. They come undone really easy, mostly because they can't rust as they get covered in muck and oil. Then you can tow it as far qs you wnt wirhout damaging the transmission. Just tie the prop up tomthe body somewhere and off you roll...

BUT I highly doubt your property is that large so sure, tug her out!

orangeblossom (09-11-2017), paulyling (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 10,466 Likes on 6,911 Posts

1) As Paul said.

2) Build a bigger shed.

4) Install "walls" on the carport, thus making a "garage of sorts".

Outside storage does suck, and if thats all you got, thats all you got.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
1) As Paul said.

2) Build a bigger shed.

4) Install "walls" on the carport, thus making a "garage of sorts".

Outside storage does suck, and if thats all you got, thats all you got.
Yep. Outside storage can be annoying... Bit on the other hand, cars are made for weather. Even convertibles. And being an English car, if it can't take a few showers and bucket loads of water from the sky, then it isn't British! My car is, even though it has stod outside the last 4 years(!!!) in a very good condition with minimal rust. It is just important to let the car air for a little while on a dry day. Open a door and let it ventilate. Keeps it dry inside.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
G'day OB

I have been dealing with the exact same problem for some time now. One day I went to check the reservoir and it was bone dry. I freaked out too lol!

I can see it leaking around the rubber boots of the rack and pinion underneath.

I have been talking to the great WoOz and he has recommend for me to swap the DEXIII for a fully synthetic PS fluid. Sometimes if you are lucky enough it will seal up the leak. Also you can purchase PS fluid stop leak fluid to add to it as well however Grant warned that some of it is just "snake oil".

Obviously it isn't going to do too much if it is too serious but the WoOz has said this method has brought him some success of the years.

He mentioned to me to syringe out any remaining DEXIII you can. Add the fully synthetic, but don't overfill. Turn on the car and full lock your steering back and forth 3 - 4 times. Now, check your reservoir and add if needed. Lather rinse repeat for about 3 or 4 goes and it should be enough to seal up the leak if not too bad.

Finally top it off with an egg cup full of the "Stop leak" snake oil for good measure.

I think this was pretty much it.

I did the same method to mine, only after 1 go round she seems to have stopped leaking for now. I still think I have a slow leak but driving it heaps and keeping an eye on it.

I hope I para phrased all this right. If there are any errors it would be on my behalf and not the great WoOZ lol
Hi Bro

Thanks for that Amazing piece of useful information!

I never knew about any of that, except that when 'The Chips are down' you can guarantee that 'The Wizard of Oz' will always ride to the rescue.

What Stuff are you using?

Is it called Dexron 3 Fully Synthetic?

As for the 'Snake Oil' I may hold off and just see how it goes but when you look down the filler neck and then see Metal instead of Oil

It sends a Chill right through your veins and is enough to really freak you out.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-11-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12