Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts
Default Another Fine Mess!

A Long Way Down!

Rescuing 'Cherry Blossom'

Having just driven 'Cherry Blossom' over the Side of my Car Lift in an Act of Sheer Stupidity from which I will never recover.

I was in total denial as to how bad the damage could be and couldn't even bring myself to look.

As my main focus now was in trying to get her out of the one foot deep hole I had just dropped her in.

At this moment in time I was hating myself for being so damn Stupid, as to drive her right over the edge of the lifter where She them plummeted in to a very deep hole.

To be absolutely honest, I couldn't even bring myself to look but I had a Plan! and you know what they say about those.

Put a Jack under the Center Beam and then Jack her up until I had managed to get the Front Wheels off the Ground.

Then put a thick Plank of wood underneath and lower the Car down on it, then once

having done so, hit on one end of the Plank with a FBH.

Until the Front Wheels are lined back up with the Channels on the lifter, then Jack her

up, remove the Plank and then lower her down again.

With both front Wheels Jacked up in the Air, all I had to do, was to pick up that Plank in front of the Jack and then Slide it under the Wheels.
Then hit the end of the Plank with a FBH, until the Front Wheels lined up with the Track of the Lifter.

'What could possibly go Wrong!'
The Car Fell Off The Jack!
You're Joking! (No I'm Not!)

The Jack Fell Over and dropped the Car for the Second Time!

I was Stunned in disbelief that such a thing could happen, as I was being so Careful but happen it did and my first reaction was 'well there goes the Rad'

In fact I was half expecting the Rad to knock a big dent in the Bonnet/Hood after it looked as if the Jack had hit it from underneath.

Time To Try 'Plan B'
Just to Prove
That Lightening doesn't Strike the same place twice.

This time the Plan was to Jack up the Car
and then Jam a Plank at an Angle
Under the Front Wheel.

So when the Jack was lowered down
The Wheel would slide down the Plank as it moved the Car Over.

What could Possibly go Wrong!

Seconds before I took this Photo the Car Slipped off the Jack a Second Time!

Seconds before I took this Photo

There was a very loud Bang!

As the Plank Broke in Half

And the Jack then flew up in the Air

Sometimes you can't buy a goal

This was not to be my day

But somehow, just don't asked me how

'Cherry Blossom' dropped into the Track.

And though I didn't plan for that to happen at least I could drive her off

To inspect the damage.

To be continued........................

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-28-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Ouch.

But I suspect the damage won't be too hateful. EZ repair at the local body and paint shop. No worries !

Cheers
DD
Let's hope not Doug

Cheers!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

Very sorry to hear of the misfortune. We have ALL done something silly at some point with our cars and fortunately nearly all of us live to tell the tale, suitably chastened, wiser and perhaps a little poorer. At least you are safe and Beng metal can be repaired. So let's all a be thankful for ghst.

However dire things seem at the time, it is often not quite as bad in the cold light of day. Let's hope that when you jack it up and get it out of there, the damage will be minimal and easily fixed.

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul

She's been up on that Ramp so many times, that driving her on was almost second nature, 'familiarity breeds content' and all that.

I can't even make eye contact with her, to see what damage I've done.

But look at what She may have fallen on.

The hole that She fell down is nearly a foot deep!

Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

OB, it might sound the most painful way, but before ypu smash up the underside, see if you can drive her out backwards. As said, one of the most nasty sounds but it will only, if at all, cause a little bit of damage to that already damaged. Ypu don't want the jack to crack the Sandwich plate under the engine or the sump to be broken...

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
Jaglady96 (10-11-2017), orangeblossom (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

You're right, I'm being a bit of a 'Wuss' it's just that 'Cherry' and me have bonded in an Araldite-esq way, to such an extent that She is no longer just a piece of Red Metal.

Maybe it won't be that bad or then again maybe it will.

So I've taken your advice and very carefully backed her off the ramp.

No funny Graunching noises or Pools of Oil and Water and from what I can see, no damage on the drivers side.

But as for the Passenger Side, I dare not look, as there is no way She would have escaped unscathed.

So Tomorrow, I will have to 'Man up' and go and take a look and will put some Photo's up of whatever I may find, on my 'Cherry Blossom' Restoration Thread.

Which somehow no longer seems to be the most appropriate name.

But looking on the Bright Side, I've managed to fix the Merc, so that's a bit of extra light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Default Where are 'The Jaguar Gods' when you need them the most

'Cherry Blossom' Falls

Owing to sheer stupidity on my part

I drove my Pride and Joy 'Cherry Blossom'

Over the side of the Lifter.

Looking back now I still can't believe how on Earth I managed to do that

As once the wheels are in the Track they have always stayed there except this time that didn't happen

And this was the result

Even now I can't believe that happened

The Sill is approximately 8 ins from the ground

'Cherry' Dropped down a hole 14 inches deep, with a Steel Track that was running all the way down the side.

How could She not be damaged after a drop like that, I don't know because I was too scared to have a look

So instead I tried to concentrate on getting her back on the Lifter

In the hope that I may have been able to drive her off

Everything that could go wrong went wrong as She fell off the Jack not once but Twice!

But when I finally did that and drove her off the Lifter

I was in denial and couldn't bring myself to look under the Cover

Except that Today I decided to 'bite the bullet' and do it, knowing that Heartbreak was just a few Seconds away

What lays beneath that Cover but even with Heartbreak just a few Seconds away I felt compelled to find out.

Where are 'The Jaguar Gods' When You need them the most

Against all the odds they Arrived!

No Damage whatsoever Not even a Scratch!

No damage whatsoever not even a Scratch!

Miracles do happen!

After getting over the Shock of finding 'Cherry' undamaged

I then went right over her with a fine tooth comb, checking every inch of her for damage

There was nothing to be found

no dents or scratches or even one piece of bent metal.

And so the only thing to do was go for a Test drive!

She drove like a dream and held onto her line so thanks to 'The Jaguar Gods' we are back in the game!

The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

All your sacrifices to the Great Jaguar Goddess* have clearly not gone in vain: today she has smiled upon you, blessing you with her bounty.

*Clearly a goddess and not a god. Singular or plural, I am still undecided.... All I know is that in my case, she likes regular sacrifices of coolant (I'm not sure where else it is going...).

orangeblossom (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
All your sacrifices to the Great Jaguar Goddess* have clearly not gone in vain: today she has smiled upon you, blessing you with her bounty.

*Clearly a goddess and not a god. Singular or plural, I am still undecided.... All I know is that in my case, she likes regular sacrifices of coolant (I'm not sure where else it is going...).
Hi Someday

I always Top up the Coolant every time I go out and though She may only need half a Cupful, if you don't keep your eye on the ball, then the less you've got the more you use, in a sort of a Self Perpetuating Circle.

As an aside, I saw a 56mm Wide Angle F4 in a Secondhand Shop £450! although it did look the 'dogs' (maybe next time)

Old 10-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

56 mm wouldn't be that wide (for reference, my widest lens goes to 8 mm). I assume you mean a prime lens? Sounds strange, and rather expensive - f4 is good, but not great.

Nice to know other people also lose coolant on a regular basis....

orangeblossom (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member

My XJ has always lost coolant... Once a month I top up about 0.5l. Couldn't care less

Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

I guess. It's just that after reading things about "coolant is a closed system" or "check once every few years" sort of things about cars, regular loss can be alarming.

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Jonathan-W (10-02-2017), orangeblossom (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
I guess. It's just that after reading things about "coolant is a closed system" or "check once every few years" sort of things about cars, regular loss can be alarming.
depends on the age... the Jaguar I top up once a month...
the Van (2004) was fine for a year after its last repair and now has a 1.5 to 2 mm pin hole in the pipe that get pin holes... this Time I just ordered a pipe as it found it new for $32US just topping up and waiting... for it to arrive...
I can tell that there is lack of coolant because the engine operates differently, this is before the temp starts to act wired even... (more knocking and pinging... a need for higher octane in a van that uses regular) that is when to run down your leak... luck me right up front for God and all to see.! same with the jaguar... chasing a pin hole here and there.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan-W:
orangeblossom (10-02-2017), Some Day, Some Day (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
depends on the age... the Jaguar I top up once a month...
the Van (2004) was fine for a year after its last repair and now has a 1.5 to 2 mm pin hole in the pipe that get pin holes... this Time I just ordered a pipe as it found it new for $32US just topping up and waiting... for it to arrive...
I can tell that there is lack of coolant because the engine operates differently, this is before the temp starts to act wired even... (more knocking and pinging... a need for higher octane in a van that uses regular) that is when to run down your leak... luck me right up front for God and all to see.! same with the jaguar... chasing a pin hole here and there.
I've replaced all the rubber and plastic in the cooling system of my XJ. It still leaks... Neither burnt nor is it in the engine. I assume it is pressed out of the recovery bottle. So I just think f*ck it and get on with it darn car!

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
orangeblossom (10-02-2017), Some Day, Some Day (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Possibly a dumb question, but what's the purpose of the blue contraption? It's in a hole, in the dirt and it doesn't look like it makes many repair chores easier vs a decent concrete floor and jack stands. Many moons ago as a poor sap I built a work base out of machine crate timbers and covered it with sheets of plywood. It made a nice safe work space that would handle an engine hoist without too much drama. When we bought our house the 20' x 40' shed had 2' square concrete pavers in most of it and I could work off them again if I laid a sheet of plywood down for the wheels to roll on. OK for a hoist but no good for a jack.

I will advise that it's a lot safer to use a sheet of 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate on the rims for the floor jack to sit and walk on. I'll do that out in gravel drives as well. Pain to lug around but it works well. Wood is a big no no because the jack needs to roll forward as it lifts.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Default Back on the Ramp but let's try not to drop her this time!

Back On The Ramp

But Let's Try Not To Drop Her This Time!

Having just scared myself witless by driving 'Cherry Blossom' over the edge of my Car Lift
Where by some Miracle She escaped unscathed.

I needed to Change the Antifreeze on my Grey XJS 50 Shades

Which meant that this Car would have to go on the Car Lift, to be replaced by 'Cherry'
that would now be kept in the Garage

As you may imagine I was really dreading this but one way or another it had to be done

Only this time I was checking Her at every step of the way

Easy does it this time, don't go and drop her again!

Taking it very Carefully I slowly managed to ease her on to the Car Ramp

Nearly there! just don't go and Screw it up now

If You're wondering what all that white stuff is, this was the Car Polish that I left on last time

In order to Change the Antifreeze I'm going to have to pull the bottom hose off

Where the last time that I did this while laying on my back under the Car

I cut myself to ribbons and wound up in The Human Body Shop

where as I remember I was soaked to the skin in Blue Antifreeze

And dripping blood all over their New Carpet

As I found myself standing there while they were asking me all sorts of questions

Them: What's your name?

Me: Orange Blossom

Them: What's your address & postcode?

Me: Bluecol Avenue XJ Essex

Them: Can you remember your national insurance number?

Me: Yes!

Them: We don't appear to have your telephone number?

Me: I'm ex directory!

Them: Have you got a mobile number?

Me: Yes but I came out without my phone and I can't remember it!

Them: Do you have an email address?

Me: Yes its ..........

Them: how do you spell that?

Me: I would write it down but......

Them: Has it been raining?

Me: What make you think that?

Them: You look a bit wet that's all

Me:I've been laying under my Car

Them: Well it doesn't appear to have kept you very dry!

Me: Do you know what, I never thought of that,

Tell you what, perhaps I ought to pop out right now and buy an umbrella

Them: What seems to be the trouble?

Me: Oh Nothing much I was sitting at home,

feeling fed up with nothing on the telly apart from the usual repeats,

I don't know what I pay my license fee for and

got so bored I thought I'd do a bit of work upon

my car and got this tiny little scratch on my hand.

Don't know if you can see it without a magnifying glass?

But apart from standing here covered in grit,

caked in mud and engine oil and soaked in Antifreeze and in case I forget to mention it,

probably bleeding to death, I feel just fine!

Them:Your Tee shirt looks a bit of a mess, have you tried Persil non bio?

Me: You're asking a lot of Questions, is this some sort of a Quiz?

All I really needed was a good slug of JD and then at least I would have felt much better!

But 'Hey Ho' Life goes on

So having got 50 Shades up on the Ramp I then replaced her with 'Cherry'

Who is now in the Garage and as soon as the Weather brightens up

I'll Change the Antifreeze.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-03-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Jonathan-W (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Possibly a dumb question, but what's the purpose of the blue contraption? It's in a hole, in the dirt and it doesn't look like it makes many repair chores easier vs a decent concrete floor and jack stands. Many moons ago as a poor sap I built a work base out of machine crate timbers and covered it with sheets of plywood. It made a nice safe work space that would handle an engine hoist without too much drama. When we bought our house the 20' x 40' shed had 2' square concrete pavers in most of it and I could work off them again if I laid a sheet of plywood down for the wheels to roll on. OK for a hoist but no good for a jack.

I will advise that it's a lot safer to use a sheet of 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate on the rims for the floor jack to sit and walk on. I'll do that out in gravel drives as well. Pain to lug around but it works well. Wood is a big no no because the jack needs to roll forward as it lifts.
Hi Ranchero

Certainly not a dumb question and you're right it would be Safer on a Concrete Floor, which I never got round to doing, because I've got so many Plates to spin.

As such I keep the Lifter very low to the ground and shore it up with 4 X 2ft Scaffold Poles so that it cannot fall.

Which seems to be the perfect height for most jobs, though working on an XJS is never very easy.

But this Year I am planning to build another 'Shop' to keep my Car 'Cherry Blossom' in and if funds allow will treat myself to a new four post lifter.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default Changing the Anti Freeze in my Grey XJS in under an hour!

Changing The Antifreeze in My Grey XJS in Under an Hour!

Its that time of the Year again to prepare for Winter

Changing the Antifreeze in my XJS

The Waters so hard down my way that when you turn the Tap on you hear a Voice say

'What You Lookin At!'

And so I do a 50/50 Mix With Antifreeze and De-ionised Water

It only costs a Tenner a drum so 'Only the Best for my Baby'

50/50 Mix of Antifreeze and De-Ionised Water

50/50 Mixture of Antifreeze and De-Ionised Water already to go

Since I'd already put on New Hoses Last Year, draining the old stuff out was very easy

With everything done from under the Bonnet/Hood this time

With my left arm squeezed between the Pipes

I could hold the Hose Clip Steady to undo it

Draining off the Old Antifreeze from the Small Tube.
Just undo that Clip and Slide the Tube off

Whenever I Change the Antifreeze I always smear the pipes and clips

with plenty of Copper Grease

Although there is no need to I always change the Antifreeze every year

The Pipe is ready to come off with Buckets underneath the Car

to catch the Old Stuff in

Because I change it every Year whether I need to or not

The 'Old Stuff' always runs out nice and clean

Now all that I've got to do is to put the Tube back on and tighten up the hose clip

Changing the Antifreeze only took me an hour!

Start to Finish Changing the Antifreeze only took me an hour.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-06-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Speedometer Stopped Working Without Warning

Speedometer Stopped Working Without Warning

When my Speedo decided to suddenly stop working

I wanted to get it fixed as soon as possible and so decided to

take it out of the Car to have a look

Apparently removing this is quite an easy job but even so I thought I'd have

a practice at removing it from my Parts Car first

Although you have to be careful not to damage the Printed Circuit

It only took five minutes to take out it including the two multi plugs in the back

The XJS Speedometer is only held in by five screws and is very easy to remove

This is where one of the Multi Plugs goes

The other Multi Plug goes in here

Not quite sure what this is for, maybe its the earth?

Hopefully I can get some advice on what needs cleaning up and how to do it

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharp car!

orangeblossom (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaglady96
Sharp car!
Hi Jaglady

Cheers!

A great Car when its running but they can be a bit of a Nightmare when they go wrong, so if you are thinking of buying one have it thoroughly checked

over, or else it could cost you a fortune to put right.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12