XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
No worries, nothing compared to going over a bump at 50 mph! But make sure the steering wheel lock is disengaged!
In France the testers have a juddering machine, which bangs the wheels up and down at an alarming rate! Scary, but no problems so far!
Hi Greg

It really freaked me out, as I thought it might wreck the Pistons in the Steering Rack or mess up the rubber mountings

Old 03-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

'Cherry Blossoms'
The Covers Come Off For The Summer!

After one of the Coldest Winters we have had in the UK for many years

It was time to get my XJS 'Cherry Blossom' out of 'mothballs' for the Summer

During her Winter layup in the Garage, I took the very unusual and some might say 'risky' step of leaving the Soft Top down

Although during that time I checked her over on a regular basis, just to make sure that the Leather was not getting damp or going moldy

And am pleased to say that none of those things happened and in point of fact I would say that because the Air could circulate

She kept even better that She's ever done before, with no signs of any Condensation, so now the only thing to do was take the Covers off

And Start her up! assuming of course She would Start after being in hibernation for about 6 months without being started

As it turned out the Weather was absolutely perfect, the Sun was Shining, it was warm and that's the perfect combination

For what I have 'nicknamed' a Jag day!

The only problem being that I couldn't take her on the road, as She wasn't Taxed and while I would normally Tax her on the first of March

The Weather of late had been so bad, that I decided that it wasn't worth it and so have decided to Tax her on April 1st

So to-day would be a 'Shakedown' to sort out any problems before then and so the first job on the list was to remove the covers

Winter waterproof cover, taking this off felt like Christmas all over again

Maybe I should change her name to 'Dusty'

At this point I was Shaking in sheer anticipation, as this would be the first time that I'd had a proper look at her in months

She is already looking so good that I'm almost in Tears!

She looked so nice that there was really nothing I could say

Wowser! I think that I'm falling in love all over again!

Being caught up in that moment, I just couldn't hack it any longer and had to walk away and make some Tea!

All I needed now was Audrey Hepburn and then we would be going off on another 'Roman Holiday'

Although for now the GF will have to do

But just before I try and Start her up for the first time the first thing is to do some pre-flight checks

On Checking the Power Steering the Dexron in the reservoir had gone down quite a bit

For as of yet I had not fixed the power steering leak I'd had last year

Although it wasn't quite so bad since I changed over to Dexron Fully Synthetic

Down but not out and time to Top Up the Power Steering

Using a Shower Gel dispenser, it was very easy to Top Up the Power Steering with Dexron Fully Synthetic

As for Topping up the Rad, it only took about 100mm

The Rad was almost Full to the Brim with New Coolant, although I then added 100mm more to be sure

Then after Checking both the Oil as well as the Brake Fluid, there was nothing left to do but try and Start her up!

To be continued........

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-24-2018 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member

'Cherry Blossoms'
(Part 2)

Turning the Key to position 1. I suddenly heard a very loud 'Twang' which had me thinking WTF was that!

Having done all the pre-flight checks I walked around to the Boot/Trunk and took out the keys from my pocket

As I held them in my hand a shaft of Sunlight fell on them and seemed to make them sparkle in a satisfying sort of way

And could not have more excited me than if they had been diamonds as I slid the Boot/Trunk Key into the lock

As I lifted up the lid the memories of Summer that had once come and gone came flooding back

But this time we were planning to have more adventures than we'd ever had before but first of all I had to Start her up

The Exide non stock battery was nearly 3 years old and had been standing idle for the past six months throughout the Winter

With no trickle charger or battery maintainer, although She had just as much of a more impressive trick

A Battery dis-carnect switch (isolator) all over ebay for under a Fiver and very simply has to be one of the best things I have ever bought

As with the Battery totally disconnected, I've never known that Battery to ever lose its charge and have this device on all my XJS's

The Gadget with the 'Green Knob' is my Battery dis-carnect switch

Boot/Trunk lights are Shining and its looking good 'so far' but will She Start?

With the Battery re-connected and the lid of the Boot/Trunk closed, I walked around to the drivers side, then having opened up the door

I climbed into the Cabin and sat down upon the seat, where everything looked regal and as expensive as you might expect

Where the heady aroma of Connelly hide mixed in with a little touch of 5 Star Gasoline, was as intoxicating as the Perfect Summers day

And I had the Keys in my hand to that Kingdom of pleasure

As I slid the round ignition key into the Steering Lock, I was so excited I could feel my throat run dry, as I slowly turned it over to position 1.

Where I suddenly heard a very loud 'Twang' which had me thinking WTF was that!

It was the 'Sound of Last Summer' as I'd left the Stereo on and this was the very last Track that we played on the day that we put her away

Where the words had a bitter sweet poignancy that fitted that moment back then as they were doing now

'Live it up' sung by 'Mental As Anything' from 1985 where the 'Wizard of Oz' may remember that this was that 'Feel good' Soundtrack

From Crocodile Dundee

Written and Sung by Andrew 'Greedy' Smith with Martin Plaza/Reg Mombassa/Pete O'dohety and Wayne de Lisle

Reg Mombassa (what a great name!) also designs Artwork for 'Mambo' Surf wear and Stuff

So I will leave you to listen to that, as I've got my Cars to Insure for the Easter Weekend

To be Continued......

Greg in France (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Beautiful car OB, and the XJS as stock has a sensational interior, as you said. Worth posting the pic again!

orangeblossom (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Yep, that's a beauty interior all right. Nice dark wood. Interesting how you have the same black dash and tranny hump aircon vents I do. Mine being an early facelift, I reckon Jaguar just used up their stock on random cars....

Are British winters really so bad you can't drive Jags in them?

Okay, I am a little confused. Why name a very dark red car, Cherry Blossom?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

The winters aren't that bad if you don't mind getting your car covered in mud (when it is windy and wet) or salt (when it is icy and windy and wet) or mud and salt the rest of the time.
Apart from that it is positively balmy.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, well, that's what the hose is for....

Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

As I couldn't get a 'Pink' Car I had to make do with a Red one, the Closest I could get to 'Cherry Blossom'

But then as a 'Fallback position' maybe I was thinking of 'Cherry Blossom' Shoe Polish, which incidentally I use as 'Tyre Black

Which gives the Tyres a very Natural look

As for British Winters, just take a look at the Pic of the Fridge in our Kitchen

I think you're supposed to push a button on it to defrost it but since I couldn't find the Instruction Book

I found it was much quicker with an Axe

Don't try this at Home! when defrosting your Fridge

I've heard of Ice in the Drinks but this was crazy

Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Ha. So the name came first, then you looked for a car to suit? This might have been better, then....

Though there are plenty of dark red flowers as well. Rose Madder would have made a nice name too. She makes you madder.... If she was a four-door, she'd be the Maroon Saloon. Or, hey, she's your car, so just go with Carmine....

As to your fridge... Yikes. You probably weren't supposed to save money by stocking it with all the snow that fell, you know.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

We did buy a New Fridge!

A really Super duper, duper, duper Fridge but for reasons that escape me we forgot to unplug the old one because the motor just died

Or so we thought, until I tried to open the door, first by using the Handle and then by using a Crowbar like you do!

That Milk was about 3 years old but when it was defrosted, it tasted almost like milk well sort of like Milk anyway

Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

You tasted it? Yikes. That was brave. Or foolish. You're alive, so I guess it wasn't that bad....
I remember once when I moved, I unearthed a box of bottled green tea that had changed completely to black tea. At least it was black-coloured tea.... I didn't taste it, though.
But good to know that fridge isn't your main one.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Brilliant OB; were there any Ginsters Pasties in there? They would still be edible.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Brilliant OB; were there any Ginsters Pasties in there? They would still be edible.
Hi Steve

After just paying out a Humungous amount of money for Car Insurance, you've really brightened my day!

But I must be missing something as I've never had a Pasty in my life!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-28-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
You tasted it? Yikes. That was brave. Or foolish. You're alive, so I guess it wasn't that bad....
I remember once when I moved, I unearthed a box of bottled green tea that had changed completely to black tea. At least it was black-coloured tea.... I didn't taste it, though.
But good to know that fridge isn't your main one.
Hi Someday

Yeah! but I didn't tell you what happened to next doors Cat.......

Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

Say Hello to 'Carmine' that is a really great name!

Say Hello to: 'Carmine'
My Celebration XJS Convertible

Some Day, Some Day (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

OB, you've never had a pasty? You haven't lived!
All the things a growing boy needs; meat, veg and a handle to hold it with; best invention ever.
For the uninitiated, this a Cornish pasty (no other Counties are acceptable):

Attached Thumbnails Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12-large-steak-cornish-pasty.jpg  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

I am totally gutted to have missed out on all that, as I seem to have spent the best part of my life eating out of fancy 5 star restaurants

With the occasional Steak and Kidney Pie to try and keep me grounded, which we use to cook on an upturned electric fire

Which eventually got so expensive to run

That it was cheaper to heat them up with an Acetylene Torch, or Gas Axe as I prefer to call it

So if you really want to know who ate all the pies then it was me!

Although I've Googled oodles of Cornish Pasty Makers, the make you mentioned comes out right on Top

And so this afternoon I went down the Pub

In order to try and try one but unfortunately they did not have none of left but said that they might have some in tomorrow

But Might 'doth butter no Parsnips' and so may have to change my local, to another establishment that sells them

Or failing that might have to drive all the way to Cornwall which would hopefully cost me no more than £500 in Petrol if I take the XJS

I'm obsessed with it now and so no other Pasty will do

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-27-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Steve knoweth of what he speaketh. Go and get one asap, OB. We'll be waiting right here. Some of them were apparently made with meat at one end and jam at the other, so you could have your pud as well. No word on how often the meat and jam ended up being mixed together. Easy food to pack and eat for miners digging for tin, I believe.

500 quid in petrol? I guess you're a fair way from Cornwall then. Either that, or petrol is really REALLY expensive in the UK. Or your car guzzles it. Or all three, of course....

Old 03-27-2018, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Someday

Say Hello to 'Carmine' that is a really great name!

Say Hello to: 'Carmine'
My Celebration XJS Convertible
That photo's so dark it's more like Coalmine....

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12