Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

'Cherry Blossoms'
(Part 3)

'Something Wicked This Way Comes'

With the Pre-Flight checks completed and the ABS light out

The only thing now left to do was see if She would Start

Although you don't just turn the key like you would maybe do on other Cars

You treat it like its some sort of occasion and never forget to remember how lucky you are!

So having got down on my knees to give thanks to 'The Jaguar Gods

And lit another Candle in the Shrine to 'The Wizard of Oz'

I then clicked the ignition key to position 2 and then all of a sudden the Engine spun like a turbine

Where ignition was instantaneous as if you were dropping a match in a bucket of Petrol

As all of her 12 Cylinder then started singing like a choir of Angels

With no 'hunting' and were running just as smooth as silk with hardly any smoke that could be seen

Except for two hot plumes of gas blasting out the mufflers like a Jet Fighter waiting to be fired out of a Catapult

To take you on the ultimate Adrenaline Adventure, where even now I was just feeling sick with excitement

And so as I now snicked her into reverse, I could feel She was ready to go as releasing the Brakes

She then glided straight out of my Shop and felt like an Animal waiting to pounce upon the first piece of fresh meat

But while I was so tempted to back Tax her so that I could take her for a run

While my heart was saying Yes my head was saying No, as there were only days to go until the first of April

And so the only thing to do was to find a Project in the hope that this would help to take my mind of it

Where 'Making my Shop Shipshape' was a job that I'd seemed to be putting off for ages

As with Tools and Stuff all over the place it was no small wonder that I was able to find anything at all

So seeing that there would be no better time to do that job than now I decided to put the GF in charge

And then just follow orders (no change there!)

Where after we both got stuck in by the end of the day it looked so clean and tidy

That you were almost able to eat all your meals off the floor and was even finding stuff I never knew I'd lost

So what better way to reward her than to take her for a meal and then once having done so

Cut the side right out of Her Brand New Hot Water Bottle that I had bought her as a Valentines gift

And just when you were thinking that the Age of Romance was dead!

The reason being I needed it in order to make a New Gasket for the Master Cylinder of 'The Ice Princess'

If She finds out She'll kill me, although She's got my love to keep her warm

Although if all else fails then She has Her electric blanket

Though fear not as this Saga continues the reason for all this deception will be explained

Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Now you have your shop clean enough to eat off the floor, all you need is the Cornish pasty to eat....

Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,990 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Damn it, you beat me to it!
Well done OB, at least you know she runs backwards!

Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday@Steve

Hi Guys

Too busy to buy Pies today or get back to you, as although I've re insured the 'Fleet' I've now got MOT Tests popping up from everywhere

Those Pies sound so delicious that if they're low in Cholesterol and Unsaturated Fat, then I might include them in my '5 a day'

What about those 'Vesta' meals are they still doing those, as I haven't seen them in the places where I do my Shopping

Steve: Fascinating insight to the Origins of the Pasty but I thought you had to go to Cornwall to get them

Or do the Shop ones taste exactly the same?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

The St Valentines Day 'Hot Water Bottle Massacre'

Long Story Short To Begin With!

I needed some Gasket Material to use to install my Brake Master Cylinder Actuator in 'The Ice Princess'

As the Gasket I was using was not quite the right size

Where after extensive R&D at 'Orange Blossom Towers' the best stuff I have found so far is what they make Hot Water Bottles out of

Except of course there's a problem (as you might expect) as way back in the non so dim and the distant past

Many Hot Water Bottles had smooth sides

But now they're quite hard to get hold of in more ways than one because all the ones that I've found have now got 'Ribbed Sides'

No doubt so that you don't burn your 'Tootsies'

So if you're using these for Gaskets then the smooth ones are the ones you need

And while Hot Water Bottles used to cost just a Couple of Quid

These days they can cost you mega bucks (£8-£10)

But its only the Best for my Baby (That's the Car not the GF) so in those situations no expense is spared

Except I had a very cunning Plan!

Give the GF a Smooth Sided Hot Water Bottle for Valentines day and then swap it for her old Ribbed one, when She wasn't looking!

What could possibly go wrong!

But as it turned out 'The Jaguar Gods' were with me all the way!

As I walked into a Charity/Thrift Shop and found a

Brand New Smooth Sided Hot Water Bottle in a Knitted Cover for just a Couple of Pounds

And 'get this!' it was all cover in little Pink Hearts, to make the Perfect Gift for Valentines day!

And this was a day I will never forget for many and various reasons

As for getting a Valentines Card just forget it, because and just for starters you are not supposed to put your name on it

And as She gets so many anyway, then how is it going to look if She gets a better one than the one you bought

So now I just don't bother and just Stake my Claim to the Best one She's received and trust me when I tell you that it works every time!

But as of yet nobody has ever given her a Hot Water Bottle for a Valentines Gift, so this was a first!

Me: Here you are a little Valentines Gift from me!

Her: (excitedly unwrapping it)

Awe! that is Sooooh Sweeeet of Yooooo!

You should not have gone to all that trouble for Meeeee, Awe, Ahh, Loves Yooooo Loads

Her: (gets all emotional and starts crying buckets)

But maybe not as much as She will if She ever finds out, that when the novelty has worn off

Then I'll then be swapping it over for her old one with ribs, as once its safely put inside the Knitted cover She will never know

But then again on Second thoughts my life could be in danger, so perhaps I'll just give it a couple of days and then ask her

Where after I had taken her out for a Valentines meal and as much Prosciutto as any girl could drink She then said Yes!

And although it was a great result, it also provided me with one of the most expensive Gaskets in History

But then again much better than having to go to Sleep with One eye open!

St Valentines day 'Hot Water Bottle' for making a Master Cylinder Gasket complete with a Romantic Cover to Show how much I Care and just when you were thinking that the Age of Romance was dead

To be continued..........

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-29-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Ribbed, you say?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

There's simply no answer to that! (LOL)

Old 03-29-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,990 Likes on 1,690 Posts

It is disturbing that you would remember that.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

That's because...

Old 03-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

The St Valentines Day 'Hot Water Bottle Massacre'

Part 2.

'The Ice Princess' is almost ready to go!

First A Quick Recap

Although I had already installed the Brake Master Cylinder Actuator in 'The Ice Princess'

I had to take it out and start again because the Gasket Material that I was using was a bit too thick resulting in diminished pedal feel

As at the time I couldn't get the type of Stuff I wanted, until I bought the GF a Valentines Gift of a Hot Water Bottle

Which was perfect for this job providing it has smooth sides, as many of the Hot Water Bottles that you can buy these days all come with ribs

And while my Original plan was to swap it for her ribbed one while She wasn't looking and put it back inside the knitted cover

I came to the conclusion that it would have been a bit mean and if She ever found out then bad things might happen!

And so I did the decent thing and explained why I needed her Bottle with the Smooth Sides

As it turned out, she was fine about it and so in order to make it up to her I took her out for a Valentines Meal in a really nice Restaurant

So the first thing to do was to cut out a New Gasket

The Ideal Gasket Material was cut out of the Smooth Sides of the GF's Hot Water Bottle

The Smooth Sided Hot Water Bottle was inside this St Valentines Day Knitted Cover

Marking out the Gasket ready for cutting out

Rough Cutting out the Gasket from the Hot Water Bottle

Trimming the New Gasket (That's the one on the right)

All cleaned up and ready for fitting with the New Gasket

A Quick Trial fit before going into the Car

Just about to lower the Brake Pedal of the Master Cylinder Actuator into the hole near the Firewall

That Red Colored 'Thingy' is The Brake Light Switch, when the Brake Pedal is at rest, the Peg on the Brake Pedal pushes the Switch in

The Peg on the Brake Pedal that operates the Brake Light Switch

When the Switch is Compressed by the Peg (in the 'at rest' position) The Brake Lights are off

When you Push on the Brake Pedal the Brake Light Switch makes Contact and then the Brake Lights come on

In goes the Brake Master Cylinder Actuator with the New Gasket already in place

A long handled Socket Driver will come in handy for bolting it into the Car

Reconnecting the Brake Pipes of the Brake Master Cylinder Actuator

Reservoir on and it's all done and dusted

This is a very easy job that can all be done from under the Bonnet/Hood you don't even need to take the Air Cleaners off

Or even need to try and stand on your Head

Its also best to leave the Reservoir on, when taking it out, or you will have Brake Fluid running all over the place

Drain as much Brake Fluid out of the System as you can through one of the Brake Calipers

But BE WARNED! even when you think that the Brake Fluid Reservoir is empty, there will still be plenty in there that you cannot see

In any event it will make one hell of a mess, and so stuff old Rag everywhere and keep some Soapy Water handy to mop up any Spills

Cover all the Fenders/Wings in Towels and DON'T let any Brake Fluid drip on the Paintwork or it will Strip it off in an instant!

The only time you may need to get in the Car is to give the Brake Pedal a quick press with your hand

If the Pedal Lever gets caught on the Brake Switch

The Brake Switch is quite fragile, so be careful not to break it

Next Job: Fit the Wheel Hub and then put on New Calipers and Brake Pads

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yours is always good reading OB, keeps me amused for hours lol

orangeblossom (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Cheers!

As fast as I fix one of them another one goes down! Lol

Old 03-30-2018, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

What else have you to do but keep all your XJS's running......That'll teach you for being greedy and having more than one..lol

Old 03-30-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Gosh OB, a really neat fix . . . but the sacrifices GF makes to keep us entertained via your thread!

However, I was particularly attracted to the knitted jacket for hot water bottle . . . those alternately coloured love hearts are just what I have been looking for in a pair of seat covers for my Jag. Would GF be up to knitting me a pair, do you think? I tried several of our sponsors but although several expressed keen interest in stocking them, none are aware of seat covers in such stylish patterns.

Best wishes mate,

Ken

orangeblossom (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
What else have you to do but keep all your XJS's running......That'll teach you for being greedy and having more than one..lol
Hi Warrjon

It just started off as a hobby that seemed to get out of control Lol

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-31-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ken

That Hot Water Bottle Cover was 'Stock' Lol

Presumably specially made for something like Christmas or Valentines day and I have never ever seen another one like that before

So that was a really great find for me at my local Charity/Thrift Shop as it was Brand New, so I had no hesitation in giving them a couple of quid for that

As while the GF was looking at that as a Token of Love from Her significant other, all I could think of was what a great Master Cylinder Gasket that was going to make!

So whoever said that the Age of Romance was dead!

As for stuff like knitting, She doesn't do any of that not even for me but why would you want to cover all that beautiful Connelly Hide

That after all is one of the Joys of owning a wonderful Car like a beautiful Jag

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-30-2018 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
cat_as_trophy (03-31-2018), Greg in France (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Three Wheels On My Wagon

Fitting A New Set Of Calipers On 'The Ice Princess'

About a couple of years ago, a well meaning friend was helping me to remove a Stuck Caliper on 'The Ice Princess' which as the name suggests was 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'

Where in the process of doing so, he Snapped off a Caliper Bolt, which left me with a Mountain to Climb in order to try and get the broken bolt out

First of all I unsuccessfully tried to drill it out

Trying to drill out the Caliper Bolt was a Nightmare!

Even those reverse drill 'Thingy's' wouldn't even touch it, so in the end I had to cut the Steering Arm through with an Angle Grinder

Just like 'Greg' suggested I did in the First place! Doh! we all live and learn don't we

I had to cut through the Steering Arm in order to get the Broken Caliper Bolt out

It took me nearly a month to get the Broken Caliper Bolt out
(I just wish I'd listened to 'Greg')

Now it was just a question of putting it all back together, a job which I've already done countless times before (well at least twice!)

So first to go back was the Wheel Hub, which I stuffed with High Temp Grease and Lubed the Shaft

Preparing the Wheel Hub to go back on 'The Ice Princess'

Before I put the Hub back and while it was out of the way I also loosened the Bolts on the Anti Roll Bar

The Anti Roll Bar Bushes were Shot and will have to be replaced, so I loosened them off while the Hub was out of the way

Putting the Hub Bearing back with plenty of Grease

Hub back on with one of the New Calipers

Only the Best for my 'Baby' a New set of Calipers for 'The Ice Princess'

New Calipers for 'The Ice Princess'

Another Pic of the Calipers

So far so good but now we have a problem, as I cannot take off the Old Caliper on the other side as its too close to the Wall of my Garage

And unless anyone has a better idea, I'll have to somehow drag the Car out of the Garage so I can take off the Caliper on the other side and then replace it

Also while She is in the Garage, I cannot get to the rear Brakes in order to Bleed them and ideally I'm looking for a nice spell of dry Weather

Which isn't being forecast over the Easter Holiday and as yet they are still undecided as to whether or not it is going to Snow

All a bit frustrating, as now I've got the New Calipers, I want to get on with this job ASAP

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-30-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Easy solution, OB: You've learned that whether it be hot water bottles or steering arms, the best way is just cut that sucker. So grab your chainsaw and cut a hole in your garage wall. Add hinges, and every time you need to work on that side, just open it up...

As to the joys of being self-employed allowing you to work whenever you like, I find that technically true, but the reality is more like working whenever the client likes....

Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
As for stuff like knitting, She doesn't do any of that not even for me but why would you want to cover all that beautiful Connelly Hide
He wants a cardy made out of it but is too shy to say so OB! And so do I.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
cat_as_trophy (03-31-2018), orangeblossom (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

OB
Will the handbrake do it, if you just crawl out on tickover? If not, place a substantial log across the correct stopping place that will chock the wheels when you get to it , again on tickover, and ram it into park as soon as the car pauses.
But not nearly as much fun as SDSD's idea!

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12