XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Chrome Wheel Arches

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
There is nothing "classy" about chrome wheel arches IMHO, cheap and tacky yes, classy, no. JC Whitney would be proud!
Wow, you're really hating on the chrome wheel arches. So my car looks cheap and tacky, huh?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:49 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Opinions opinions

Its best we keep it in that context. That is why alot of us put IMO ( In my opinion). We are all so varied and diverse but that is what makes the forum great.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

The bigger the hoops. The bigger the ho...they look pimpolicious to me

The following 2 users liked this post by Nookieman:
JTsmks (04-03-2015), paulyling (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Wow, you're really hating on the chrome wheel arches. So my car looks cheap and tacky, huh?
Yes, I am really hating on them.

Yes, it's my opinion.

Yes, Pauly ASKED for opinions in the opening of this thread.

Yes, I said earlier I would not sugar coat it.

Yes, I said "Chrome wheel arches" were "cheap and tacky" looking. I never said YOUR car was.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
Wow, who knew that chrome wheel arch moldings would get everyone worked up like the leaper vs. no leaper debate-LOL.

Well once again I have a unique perspective as I bought one with the moldings on the car and one without. As with the leaper on the hood I must say the car that has the chrome wheel arch moldings has grown on me and I now cannot see the car without them on it.

To me it is a classy addition to to XJS if that is what you like. Now in all fairness all chrome wheel arch moldings and leaper hood ornaments are not created equally. I have seen some that look a bit cheap looking or have poor finish etc. and then to my eye that just distracts from the beauty of the XJS.

Here is something I discovered with having two '95 XJS' sitting next to each other in the garage. The one that has the chrome wheel arch moldings on it actually looks like it sits a little lower then the one without. This is a optical illusion as I have measured both and found them to be at equal heights but the moldings help fill in the gap between the tire and the lip of the wheel arch on the body, thereby giving the visual illusion that the car sits closer to the tire.

No matter what your preference on any add on's like the leaper or wheel arch moldings , I just hope that we would all treat other owners of these fine cars with respect.

Just keep in mind that words like hideous and awful are pretty powerful words to use to describe something that really is not that big of a deal. Makes the average guy like me not want to take one of my XJS' to a Jaguar show for fear some Jag snob will come up and say something like " I would never put those hideous looking moldings on my car ".

One thing about owning two XJS' is I have learned that what I may have not chosen for myself to put on the car may very well be something I now would not want to live without.
Well said

This is precisely why I don't understand these "opinion" topics. Do we make decisions about our cars based on a consensus about what the forum thinks?? I mean, you either like it or you don't. For example, whenever I see topics about rims and people wanting to fit them on their cars, I just step away because as opinionated as I am, I already know I am going to make some unnecessary comment about what I perceive as someones lack of taste and common sense....why even go there?? Same goes with the leaper and facelift taillamp topics.

Talking about leapers, car shows, and snobs, I remember a while back at a car show I went to there was a beautiful early 62 E type that was completely stock, 100 percent original restoration except for a little Leaper the owner had fitted on the bonnet. I personally don't think the bonnet works on the E types at all, and would never fit it on mine, but I would never tell the owner that....well, 2 people came up to him and took it upon themselves to "inform" him that his leaper was "not original" (as if he didn't know) and another guy went as far as asking him "so you think that looks good?" And this was just in the 10 minutes my grandfather and I where there talking to him. The man had spend like 80 grand in restoring the car to 100 percent stock except for the little leaper and all these people could focus in on was the little leaper on his bonnet.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 04-03-2015 at 09:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Gunner01 (04-04-2015), paulyling (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
The man had spend like 80 grand in restoring the car to 100 percent stock except for the little leaper and all these people could focus in on was the little leaper on his bonnet.
Shame isn't it? But that's how it works, he spent 80k and soured it with a $35 Leaper. He probably thought he could improve on Sir Lyon's vision. But in turn he soured his 80k restoration. Weather he did or didn't is really in the eye of the particular beholder, you said yourself people were talking about it. He may think it looks great BUT for every positive comment he probably received ( which I'm sure were plenty) someone's being chided for stepping out and saying what he thought. I hear people criticize my car all the time at shows, whatever, I have a thick skin. Here's the thing, car people are passionate and forums are here for us to share information, tips, helps and opinions WHEN asked for them. As soon as an opinion is asked for and someone goes against what someone else likes people get their panties in a wad. Here's the long and short of it, if it's an "opinion" based thread and you aren't ready with a thick skin for the pro's, con's, pluses and minus's then turn the channel.

Spikepaga (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
He is saying the arches look cheap and tacky, which affects how the car looks. It is like putting big spinner wheels or fake side vents onto the XJS. There is just so much there that looks so good, adding something significantly cheaper looking is rather obvious, and drags the appearance of the car down.

Obviously this is an XJS forum and most of our cars all look the same, so everyone likes the XJS. After that people have preferences on options like paint, interior color, wheel type, convertible, etc. There are very few aftermarket parts up the the quality and with style that matches the car to look appropriate.

This is why most people feel free to speak their mind about it looking bad. They are acknowledging that you have a great looking car and know it could look even better with such a small change.

I'm aware the leaper is a bit different because it was an option to have a dealer put it on, but that group seems to be very divided between people that focus on the leaper and think it looks cool and people that look at the whole car and think it doesn't mesh with the styling of the XJS.

At least you can look at a leaper and respect that it is a solid piece of metal, crafted by Jaguar. The flimsy halfass chrome fender flares are the same crap you can buy at autozome for a camry, you may as well put side vents on it, chrome trim on the door edges, and cheap exhaust tips on it. It is the same thing and most people are very quick to voice their opinions because it doesn't seem to be as much of a preference (like between wires or starfish) it is just cheap parts thrown on the car that detract from its appearance, it is frustrating, which is why people quickly speak out about it.

Obviously everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they have. You are totally free to like the way they look and put them on your car. But you have to understand that others are free to disagree, and if they do so vehemently and in droves, that isn't their fault. it is jsut a popular opinion that you have to deal with.

I think a lot of people get heated with these because they get frustrated that someone likes something that looks bad and the other side gets mad because they feel insulted. It is all just opinions, it is really not a big deal. I will totally admit you are free to paint your car pink with spray paint, put spinners on it, put a vtec in it, whatever. But i am free to say it is a piece of **** as a result. It is up to you to decide if you want to set the car up for yourself or if you value the opinions of others enough to let it change your own.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, indeed this is an opinion thread, and one great thing about this forum is that people are able to express their varied opinions.

However, the way one goes about expressing his or her opinion makes all the difference in the world.

As Spikepaga noted, using incendiary language and an unnecessarily harsh tone to express one's opinion is not productive. Yes, the leaper on that E-Type may not be to everyone's liking, but calling him out on it at a show is uncalled for, in my opinion.

So, forgive me for causing a stir, but if you're going to post such comments, I'm going to fire right back with mine and defend my car, because I do take it personally if one finds it necessary to berate such a small issue to this degree.

And just for the record, some of the chrome arches were Jaguar dealer-installed accessories- not "crap" from Pep Boys.

The following 2 users liked this post by 01Silverstone:
Gunner01 (04-04-2015), Spikepaga (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 01:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
........ But seriously I think I am going to convert mine to a station wagon today, says no one ever!
The photo in your post is a Lynx Eventer.

Lynx :: Lynx Eventer

The 67 Eventers built now change hands at over £50k in the UK or around 5 times the cost of an immaculate XJS!

Graham

paulyling (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Chrome wheel arches: Not on my Jags.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Shame isn't it? But that's how it works, he spent 80k and soured it with a $35 Leaper. He probably thought he could improve on Sir Lyon's vision. But in turn he soured his 80k restoration. Weather he did or didn't is really in the eye of the particular beholder, you said yourself people were talking about it. He may think it looks great BUT for every positive comment he probably received ( which I'm sure were plenty) someone's being chided for stepping out and saying what he thought. I hear people criticize my car all the time at shows, whatever, I have a thick skin. Here's the thing, car people are passionate and forums are here for us to share information, tips, helps and opinions WHEN asked for them. As soon as an opinion is asked for and someone goes against what someone else likes people get their panties in a wad. Here's the long and short of it, if it's an "opinion" based thread and you aren't ready with a thick skin for the pro's, con's, pluses and minus's then turn the channel.
And yes I agree the leaper does not work on that car. I have very strong opinions about taste and am a black and white guy, I don't dwell on the grey too much ., and I also agree that the car forums are to discuss topics about our cars.

HOWEVER, because I am a grown 33 year old man, I have acquired something called a ""FILTER"" and I don't just say things to unnecessarily offend, belittle or bully other people.It has nothing to do with "thick skin" or "getting your panties in a wad" it has to do with being civil enough to know what and how to say things in a civilized fashion. I don't believe in being an a** just to be an a**. Not that I am accusing you of doing that. It just always seems to happen on these type of topics.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 04-03-2015 at 03:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
01Silverstone (04-09-2015), Bc xj (04-03-2015), Gunner01 (04-04-2015), LuvmyXJS' (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Sorry GGG

Trying desperately to lighten the mood! Lol

Old 04-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I personally don't mind the look of them. They were actually on a list of cosmetic mods I was considering. Also, the Lincolns I used to drive had them, and they never developed the rust in the arches that so many other cars seem to.

paulyling (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Manners guys
I thought we where here to support each other, Positively.

paulyling (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

And yes I agree the leaper does not work on that car. I have very strong opinions about taste and am a black and white guy, I don't dwell on the grey too much ., and I also agree that the car forums are to discuss topics about our cars.

HOWEVER, because I am a grown 33 year old man, I have acquired something called a ""FILTER"" and I don't just say things to unnecessarily offend, belittle or bully other people.It has nothing to do with "thick skin" or "getting your panties in a wad" it has to do with being civil enough to know what and how to say things in a civilized fashion. I don't believe in being an a** just to be an a**. Not that I am accusing you of doing that. It just always seems to happen on these type of topics.
I agree 100%. We all have strong opinions about a good deal of things including the XJS but why not show some class when talking about such a classy car?

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
01Silverstone (04-09-2015), paulyling (04-04-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

IMHO the chrome arches fall into the "unnecessary adornments" category. Right up there with leapers ! Tee hee hee.....a notch above the mudflaps with chrome naked ladies, but.....well....maybe I oughta just leave it at that

Cheers
DD

Old 04-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

And yes I agree the leaper does not work on that car. I have very strong opinions about taste and am a black and white guy, I don't dwell on the grey too much ., and I also agree that the car forums are to discuss topics about our cars. HOWEVER, because I am a grown 33 year old man, I have acquired something called a ""FILTER"" and I don't just say things to unnecessarily offend, belittle or bully other people.It has nothing to do with "thick skin" or "getting your panties in a wad" it has to do with being civil enough to know what and how to say things in a civilized fashion. I don't believe in being an a** just to be an a**. Not that I am accusing you of doing that. It just always seems to happen on these type of topics.
So now your calling me an a$$, see how this works, you claim I'm out of line with my comments but you feel it's perfectly ok for you to infer me as an a$$. Talk about a hypocrite. Once again "civilized" fashion is in the eye if the beholder and that discerning eye of the moderators.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

So now your calling me an a$$, see how this works, you claim I'm out of line with my comments but you feel it's perfectly ok for you to infer me as an a$$. Talk about a hypocrite. Once again "civilized" fashion is in the eye if the beholder and that discerning eye of the moderators.
This is crazy. I clearly said I wasn't directing this at you but at how opinionated people act in these topics. Go on and insult who you want as you please and then reply to this to make sure you have the last word. Done here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Gunner01 (04-04-2015), LuvmyXJS' (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok guys, this is silly, absolutely no need for this whatsoever.
We ALL have opinions and of course we're all free to voice them, but there are many different ways of saying the same thing.

Its always good practice to re read what you are about to post prior to actually hitting the submit button.

I hate to have to close any thread, but this is getting close, subscribed to keep an eye on this!

Here's my take on them.......Personally, I'm not a fan of chrome, it's just my particular taste, but each to their own.

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Bc xj (04-04-2015), Gunner01 (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, a lot of passion over chrome wheel arch inserts…..Properly installed, in reasonable wet climates the arches do not suddenly become rust magnets. I would also imagine that the cars in question spend most of their time indoors. IMO, the look of the arches on a particular car really depends on the colour combination of the car. You can place two identical model cars next to one another, both with chrome wheel well arches and one will definitely look better than the other based on the colour combo of the car. I have seen some that looked stunning and classy, and others that did not grab my eye at all. To each their own…….. In some way, do we not all want to make our cars our own…..

The following 2 users liked this post by Fstbmw1:
Bc xj (04-04-2015), LuvmyXJS' (04-04-2015)

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheel Arches