XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

cleaning lattice wheels?....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoupe89
Related question to lattice wheels:
My 1992 XJS has chrome plated over aluminum lattice wheels. A guy at a Jag /British show ripped on me saying the lattice were never chrome plated, only polished. Are my wheels a dealer options?

My '92 also has the chrome delete around the wheel wells, is this uncommon also?
The chromed lattice wheels were never offered by the factory as an option in the US. Dealerships, however, often had them chromed but it was not factory authorized. Same goes for wheel arch and sill chrome strips.

The only factory option for chromed wheels in the US was the MY95 (and possibly 96), these were the five spoke 16" design.

Cheers,

Allan

The following users liked this post:
Scoupe89 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
The chromed lattice wheels were never offered by the factory as an option in the US. Dealerships, however, often had them chromed but it was not factory authorized. Same goes for wheel arch and sill chrome strips.

The only factory option for chromed wheels in the US was the MY95 (and possibly 96), these were the five spoke 16" design.

Cheers,

Allan
Thanks Allan,
I also have the Flying Cat hood ornament, Was that added also?
My '87 XJ-SC has the wheel trim (mouldings). It looks factory?

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoupe89
Thanks Allan,
I also have the Flying Cat hood ornament, Was that added also?
My '87 XJ-SC has the wheel trim (mouldings). It looks factory?
Nope, as mentioned above chrome wheel arches (mouldings) were never offered by the factory. It is quite common to see them on cars in the US but they are aftermarket often added by dealers to give the car an extra bit of bling.

You will be surprised by how many owners believe they were factory fitted. It is a very common occurrence at Concours shows. The cars are penalized quite severely by the judges and many owners counter with "but that's how I bought it from the dealer!!"

Some less scrupulous people added the mouldings and sill covers later in life to hide rust spots before selling the cars

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScientist
i don't have lattice wheels. don't even have a jag (yet). but i've found sonax full effect wheel cleaner to be the best stuff available for cleaning up really tough brake dust, road grime, tar and other wheel stuff. not sure what forum rules are on posting vendors, but i've only found one place to get the stuff. there's good photos on his site of the stuff in action. you can google it or PM me for the url. also, i've narrowed my search for a v12 xjs down to the 88-89 years, for which it seems the lattices are the most common wheels. good luck.

As per the Dr....

I have used and continue to use SONAX FULL EFFECT wheel cleaner....This product is truly amazing!!!

I do NOT use it every time, only periodically as I keep my wheel very clean not allowing a build up of dirt / brake dust etc.

A quick powerwash of the wheels then apply the product liberally and leave for a few mins, It goes on a green foam that reacts with the brake dust and turns a deep purple as it works.....You can actually see it working to break down the iron deposits and liquify them.

Generally, a thorough powerwash afterwards is unbelievably all thats needed. Personally I still get down close and personal by hand but its genuinesly not necessary.

I cannot receomend this product highly enough....try it, you won't regret it I promise you.