XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Coil relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil relocation?

I’m back! I got the injector harness all ripped out today…what a freaking mess(I’ll post pics later). Also ordered everything to rebuild it but some of the parts weren’t quite as I was hoping so I have a few other things to get.

Since I have everything currently unbolted and/or taken out of Death Valley (the V) I started thinking about the coils. Since the heat in the V kills anything electric has anyone ever mounted the coils elsewhere on a Marelli car? Just take a harness extension and another plug wire lead but should be doable relatively easily.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2024, 06:18 AM
Received 494 Likes on 261 Posts

I just started the exact same repair and had the exact same thought but haven't seen anything prior.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 282 Posts

The valley of death gets a lot more survivable if you remove that big ugly A/C compressor and let air flow through it.
To hang it on the side remove the EGR compressor and that big inefficient bus sized alternator. Replace both the A/C and alternator with modern, lighter, more compact versions. While tiny alternators will provide all the electrical power you need. The A/C can come from much smaller compressors. The cabin size in the JAGUARS is very compact.
You can still relocate the coils if you want but if you do that suddenly you’ll have a beautiful engine on display that runs significantly cooler with room for air to flow freely.
Now I like GM replacements but there are others that will do the job better. It’s just that every parts store in the country has replacements when the time comes.

Last edited by Mguar; 04-01-2024 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to look into those options for sure! I am definitely not a fan of the AC Compressor and have seen others that have downsized/moved things to get them more reasonable. Plus, as you mention the aesthetics, airflow and ability to find a replacement all come to mind as good reasons to do this...just gotta get the wiring all fixed first!

Old 04-10-2024, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
The valley of death gets a lot more survivable if you remove that big ugly A/C compressor and let air flow through it.
To hang it on the side remove the EGR compressor and that big inefficient bus sized alternator. Replace both the A/C and alternator with modern, lighter, more compact versions. While tiny alternators will provide all the electrical power you need. The A/C can come from much smaller compressors. The cabin size in the JAGUARS is very compact.
You can still relocate the coils if you want but if you do that suddenly you’ll have a beautiful engine on display that runs significantly cooler with room for air to flow freely.
Now I like GM replacements but there are others that will do the job better. It’s just that every parts store in the country has replacements when the time comes.
Easy to say, but wouldn't relocating AC involve all new hose arrangements and custom sizing and fitting? I'd do it but HOW? and Id rather have the alternator at the very top as that just looks more proper.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

The whole reason to relocate the A/C compressor is to stop it from blocking. Air flowing into the valley of death.
By hanging it off the side along with a smaller alternator the engine will be cooled. If you hold onto the intake manifold you will feel how cool it is. That’s what happens when fuel is turned into the vapor that burns. Gasoline as a liquid won’t burn. It’s the vapor that burns.
Keep air flowing past the top of the engine and things get a whole lot cooler.
The Bonnet ( hood for us Yankees ) sits down almost on top of the engine and Compressor blocks the air from moving into the valley of death.
Yes moving the A/C compressor will require new hoses. They are long past the replacement date anyway.
If you’re really good you can make your own hoses but the easy way is to call the hose fabricating companies to stop by your garage and fix them for you. ( it’s only a little more expensive then buying new fittings and hoses and making your own).
If you don’t have any fabricating skill just stop by a Hot Rod shop or a race car fabricators. Pretty straight forward work and now you’ll be proud to open the hood.

Last edited by Mguar; 04-10-2024 at 09:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mguar:
David84XJ6 (04-10-2024), JJS- Florida (04-12-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
The whole reason to relocate the A/C compressor is to stop it from blocking. Air flowing into the valley of death.
By hanging it off the side along with a smaller alternator the engine will be cooled. If you hold onto the intake manifold you will feel how cool it is. That’s what happens when fuel is turned into the vapor that burns. Gasoline as a liquid won’t burn. It’s the vapor that burns.
Keep air flowing past the top of the engine and things get a whole lot cooler.
The Bonnet ( hood for us Yankees ) sits down almost on top of the engine and Compressor blocks the air from moving into the valley of death.
Yes moving the A/C compressor will require new hoses. They are long past the replacement date anyway.
If you’re really good you can make your own hoses but the easy way is to call the hose fabricating companies to stop by your garage and fix them for you. ( it’s only a little more expensive then buying new fittings and hoses and making your own).
If you don’t have any fabricating skill just stop by a Hot Rod shop or a race car fabricators. Pretty straight forward work and now you’ll be proud to open the hood.
And a custom mounting bracket to id imagine. Hoses I wouldnt care any tractor or hydraulic shop can do it quick but the mount itself?

Old 04-11-2024, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

I’d look at re- using existing brackets. You’re going to have to line up the pulleys anyway so you can use the spacers to achieve that.
Worst case buy aluminum plate and using a jig saw and drill press. Make “billet” brackets.
Using the existing brackets to locate the holes.
I’d get real fancy and use something like 4x4 aluminum angle to make those.
When I redo my Series 1 Sedan I’m planning on getting a modern power steering pump off a Chevy Van. It has a remote tank for the fluid and is a little tiny thing in comparison to our power steering pump.
That will let even more air flow around the engine.
I’m a real titewad I’ll harvest parts like that from Junkyards. But I’m sure places like Rocket auto has new ones a lot cheaper than the dealers.

The following users liked this post:
JJS- Florida (04-12-2024)