XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Contemplating XJS purchase :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022 | 08:41 AM
|

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
I know the car and its owner.

The description is honest. He spent a long time finding all the TWR bits to make it look authentic.

Rob
Yes, it looks like it was labour of love and I am sure $$ to get all the correct parts. Got to look at future re-sale value / desirability as well. Its a niche car that interests me, but others maybe less so, when you can get an original non-TWR car in good condition with history for similar money or less from my research so far.

I was trying to proportion out value and came up with: 1988 XJS with respray and mechanical overhaul around $12k. Manual gearbox $5k. That leaves $9k for TWR add-ons. Reasonable estimate?

Old 07-31-2022 | 08:42 AM
|

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
Thisis a nice one too

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...xjs/1623047328

I saw it while is was being checked over at Plham Imports here in town. I does need front suspension work; ball joints etc. Nothing too big.

Rob
thanks. Yes have pondered this one too. Kinda like the update rear end more, so was looking for a 90's model

Old 07-31-2022 | 02:19 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Not sure if your mind has been made up. I’m somewhat handy with a wrench, and have no garage. I daily drive my 1996 XJS with the 4.0 and without that garage (I do have a driveway) my repair projects are usually limited to things I can get done in a weekend.

The 4.0 has plenty of access which allows me to get things done in a timely manner. I do plan out parts, because I don’t want to get halfway in and discover I need a part that would delay me.

I just can’t see someone without a garage pull off the maintenance on a v12. It’d be too costly to pay someone else to do. Throw in the fact that you’re in Canada, where weather is a real factor, and I think you might be happier with the access that the 4.0 provides.

Old 07-31-2022 | 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mozambique
So given my interest in the 1980's TWR jaguars this one caught my eye:
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/jaguar/x..._13_13&sprx=-1

The attention to detail is evident. $30k is not cheap, but possibly the only manual gearbox XJS in Canada. From the carfax report, 5 owners and several years with no ownership listed. Presume this indicates the car was off road in storage.
I did a quick search for genuine TWR edition cars and found one for sale in UK for $40k with 50k km on it.
Interested in any opinions on the car
thanks in advance.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that car... I recognise the huge effort and money that has gone into it, but it's quite a niche market and it's configuration makes it quite an oddball with potentially a very limited market for resale.

There's a huge amount of confusion and misunderstanding about "TWR" XJSs. What most people don't realise is that "TWR" was really a customisation shopping list of enhancements for XJSs. You could order a new car to be enhanced or send an existing example there. There was no standard "specification", you could order just a bodykit or have a full engine and drivetrain enhancement. The one modification that the owner of the advertised car should have done (imo) is fit the TWR bodykit, because realistically that is what all in-period modified cars had. Without that bodykit, it just looks like an HE XJS with some TWR wheels and badges.

The other thing is that TWR stopped enhancing XJSs after June 1988 when the JaguarSport joint enterprise was established. After that, there no more "TWR" XJSs, as the Jaguar XJR-S was introduced.

So, very nice car, but don't overpay for it as it's a very select market for a non-genuine TWR-enhanced car.

Paul

Old 07-31-2022 | 05:13 PM
|

Originally Posted by ptjs1
I'm not quite sure how I feel about that car... I recognise the huge effort and money that has gone into it, but it's quite a niche market and it's configuration makes it quite an oddball with potentially a very limited market for resale.

There's a huge amount of confusion and misunderstanding about "TWR" XJSs. What most people don't realise is that "TWR" was really a customisation shopping list of enhancements for XJSs. You could order a new car to be enhanced or send an existing example there. There was no standard "specification", you could order just a bodykit or have a full engine and drivetrain enhancement. The one modification that the owner of the advertised car should have done (imo) is fit the TWR bodykit, because realistically that is what all in-period modified cars had. Without that bodykit, it just looks like an HE XJS with some TWR wheels and badges.

The other thing is that TWR stopped enhancing XJSs after June 1988 when the JaguarSport joint enterprise was established. After that, there no more "TWR" XJSs, as the Jaguar XJR-S was introduced.

So, very nice car, but don't overpay for it as it's a very select market for a non-genuine TWR-enhanced car.

Paul
Paul
You kinda sum up my concerns. I think it looks gorgeous and the manual gearbox is a huge incentive for me. Good point about the body kit. The ad I saw for the genuine TWR XJS in the UK had it, and learning from you they all had it. Personally I think it looks too much like an obvious bolt on kit and it spoils the lines. From my monitoring XJS sales here in Toronto over the past couple of months all examples regardless of condition are slow to sell. So the TWR replica is a niche within a niche, and I expect 98% of potential buyers wouldn't really care either way, but would care about paying the price premium. So ultimately it comes down to the manual gearbox, but again, possibly a niche market too here in North America unlike UK. I did contact the garage selling it for further details. May go and take it gor a spin, but probs should leave cheque book at home, just in case

Old 07-31-2022 | 05:14 PM
|

Paul....... what dollar value would you put on it re. Not overpaying?

Old 07-31-2022 | 05:21 PM
|

Originally Posted by Vee
Not sure if your mind has been made up. I’m somewhat handy with a wrench, and have no garage. I daily drive my 1996 XJS with the 4.0 and without that garage (I do have a driveway) my repair projects are usually limited to things I can get done in a weekend.

The 4.0 has plenty of access which allows me to get things done in a timely manner. I do plan out parts, because I don’t want to get halfway in and discover I need a part that would delay me.

I just can’t see someone without a garage pull off the maintenance on a v12. It’d be too costly to pay someone else to do. Throw in the fact that you’re in Canada, where weather is a real factor, and I think you might be happier with the access that the 4.0 provides.
Very good points - thank you.
I have done some epic street repairs on my LR4 e.g. front lower control arm bushings which is a hell of a job with those. Fully agree that lack of a garage means that more repairs end up being done by my mechanic though. I DREAM of having a garage!!!
The car would be stored in covered rented parking spot over winter with little use, but could not work on it there for non-urgent PM. Agree that a 4.0L is the rational choice.

Old 07-31-2022 | 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

I really don't know what the US or Canadian market values are for any XJS

I think you should see it as a enhanced XJS with a manual T5 conversion and a high-ish mileage engine. Assess the overall body condition of the car. Look at the positive enhancements, the gearbox, suspension modifications etc and then conclude the value accordingly. Ignore all the TWR cosmetic stuff such as Steering wheel, badges, wheels etc and see those as something you could just sell separately. The condition of the body and drivetrain, coupled with the mileage and service history should enable you to put the right price on it.

Good luck

PAul

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022 | 05:30 PM
|

Paul,
hey thanks appreciate your wisdom.
There is a 2 owner '88 for sale here with lower mileage, 2nd owner for past 30yrs and I believe service history. Asking $19k, which gives me a reference.
Quentin

Old 08-23-2022 | 06:28 PM
|

So I saw a 92 4.0L 5spd for sale. Does anyone have a feeling for how rare these are in north America (or Canada where I am). Have only seen one other, a 3.6L, so am thinking quite rare.

Old 08-23-2022 | 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

I might be wrong, but I didn't think North America took any 4.0 manuals, so it's probably an import?

Jaguar sent out 25 3.6 manuals for evaluation purposes which were not supposed to end up with customers, but a number did in the end.

Send me the VIN of the 4.0 manual and I'll decode it for you.

Paul

Old 08-23-2022 | 06:57 PM
|

Thanks Paul,
Will ask seller for the VIN.
Cheers,
Quentin

Old 08-23-2022 | 07:02 PM
|

Found answer here! : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...figures-99273/

Its a '92, so one of only 33 imported to Canada that year.

Old 08-25-2022 | 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

I can't remember seeing another manual XJS for sale in Ontario since spring 2011, also white/blue and I think 160,000 km at the time. Same one? It hit the market the day I picked up my red 92 5-speed (they were both advertised on kijiji.ca which is not where I'd go for the best reach with a car like these). The white one took a long time to sell (maybe into the next year) and went for under $7K I think, which seemed tremendously low, but then no-one else looking at kijiji wanted it.

A looker in BRG just sold on BAT for what I would consider the half-decent sum of $16750 USD, being more than the previous one got in 2019 ($14K)--though auction commenters seemed to think it a bit low.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-jaguar-xjs-79/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-jaguar-xjs-21/

Old 08-25-2022 | 07:16 AM
|

Thats an 11 year wait for an Ontario 5spd. Rare indeed. In touch with the owner. He's only had it 12 months and is looking for a "more reliable truck". That and the rust spots is not inspiring. However apparently he has a bag of receipts from the previous owner. 5spd definitely desirable for me, so not too much choice unless as you say I look further afield. Will go and have a look at it.
190k km on it, so could be the one you referred to.
​​​​XJS's sell very slowly here in Ontario based on my observations. Would have thought a 5spd might sell faster given rarity re. Your comment from 2011.

Old 08-26-2022 | 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

The one I grabbed was only the 4th I'd seen for sale since they were new in '92-3. Watching the Ontario ads was my hobby then since age 15. I wasn't watching the USA sales. Mine was for sale in the GTA, so lots of people, but the seller only had one other offer in the week it was for sale (I'd have bought it sooner but was out of the area at the time).

Come to think of it, maybe that $7K price was the second time that car came up, after 2011...seller was asking 10,600 in 2011 and lowered it as time went by then I think I saw it again mabey 2015-ish?

Look for rear anti-roll bar if you go see it. I expect it's there, along with the rest of the Sportspack items, though the Boge shocks may have been replaced as they're no longer available.

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-26-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2022 | 02:00 PM
|

Hey, thanks for the useful info.
What else was in the sports pack package?
Seller told me some of work done previously based on receipts from past owners e.g. rear brakes, water pump, suspension bushings etc. Apparently currently, the battery is dying after two days and he is unsure of reason. Hoping to go and look at it next week.

Quentin

Old 08-26-2022 | 06:23 PM
|

Am looking outside of Canada to USA. Has anyone imported an XJS from USA into Canada re. How easy a process is this?

Old 08-27-2022 | 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

Sportspack: I read this on jaguarforum.com

Richard Mansell: "It was introduced by Jaguar as standard on the 3.6 in Sep 1987 and comprised of 43% uprated front springs, 3% uprated rear springs, uprated Boge shocks all round, increased diameter front anti-roll bar, rear anti-roll bar re-introduced, reduced assistance power steering, stiffer rack bushes and Pirelli P600 235/60 VR tyres on the lattice wheels.

The sports seats were originally only available as part of the SportsPack."

If you'd like to import from the USA, it's best to choose a car that was originally sold in the USA (ie not a grey-market import) and that is still of original specification (not modified). Read this to start: https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...lated-vehicles

The trickiest part is formally exporting the vehicle from the USA--you have to give the car's title to the port of exit three days before the day of export, and not all border crossings handle vehicle exports: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../motor-vehicle

I imported a two-year old Toyota Tacoma back in 2007 and had no problems on either side of the border. When the car enters Canada you'll pay the 5% GST (federal sales tax) and 6% duty (on car not manufactured in Canada/USA/Mex). Then you follow the rules of the Province in which you're registering it (ie in Ontario, get a safety certificate and pay the 8% provincial sales tax). I'd do it again.

Old 08-27-2022 | 05:32 AM
|

Awesome - thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: Contemplating XJS purchase :)