XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Conv top

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conv top

Ive been reading all i can on this issue but must ask. I have a 95 convertible. When i apply parking break, engine running, car in park . I push the rear of the center switch and hold . I hear nothing, no motor or relay click. Quarter windows inop. Where should i start? Switch itself? Thank you,Jeff

Old 03-10-2024, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Jeff,

That sounds like either the handbrake switch or the main hood switch. It's incredibly unlikely that 3 separate relays have all failed simultaneously.

You need to lift the centre console to access the switch without breaking off the retaining tangs.

Is the handbrake light coming in when you activate the switch? If not, I would start with the switch. Disconnect it and bridge the terminals until the warning light is on.

Good luck

Paul

Old 03-10-2024, 08:21 PM

Ok so if i understand you . When i push the switch in the center console the handbrake light should illuminate? Im confused as I’ve already employed the handbrake ,illuminating the warning light ,which works . Then ive been pushing the switch in the console. Can i push just the console switch without engaging the handbrake to illuminate the light?

Old 03-11-2024, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

Jeff,

No, apols, I meant when you activate the handbrake switch by pulling the lever, the light should illuminate.

As that is working correctly, I would next check the hood switch. As mentioned, you need to lift the centre console to do that safely.

You could alternatively check for current outputs from the ecu, but as neither hood motor or windows are operating, I would start with the switch.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 03-11-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:39 AM

Got it thank you! Ill report back with my findings

Old 03-13-2024, 08:08 PM

So i took out the roof switch . Disassembled it and clean it . Had lots of gunk on the little rockers and was quite tarnished. Reassembled , hopefully correctly and installed. Still nothing with handbrake engaged , light illuminated on dash. Nothing from the rear windows , no sounds from the pump in trunk and now my passenger side window doesn't work . So ten steps back 😖. How do i test power at the female side of the plugs? I was surprised that the roof switch had only three wires going into it. Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-13-2024, 08:09 PM

Btw i also saw two disconneccted plugs laying under the console one blue and one black???

Old 03-13-2024, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

Have you checked the appropriate fuse?

Old 03-14-2024, 08:13 AM

If you mean the relays in the rear trunk/boot i did reseat them but haven’t tried each for operation yet

Old 03-14-2024, 08:50 AM
Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

You also need to have your foot on the brake I believe.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

You don't need your foot on the brake to operate the hood. Also, although it's possible, it's unlikely to be the relays, as you've mentioned that neither the windows nor the hood work when you operate the switch. That means you'd have 3 simultaneous failed relays which is unlikely.

There's a single in-line fuse but I think it's only in the circuit to the Hood relays and therefore wouldn't affect the window operation. There's also thermal breakers controlling the rear window operation. but again, the likelihood of differing random failures affecting the hood & the windows is quite unlikely. I also don't think it can be the rotary switch on the autogearbox which checks that it's Park or Neutral, because I think a failure here would preclude you from starting the car, which you said you had done. But you could try putting the gearlever in Neutral, but I don't think it will resolve the problem.

I don't know, but I'm guessing the 3 wires on the hood switch are a live input and then a feed out for Up or Down operation. If you can check to see if there's 12v on one of terminals, that may help to move forward on the diagnosis. Report back on which colour wire has the 12v.

In summary, the hood ecu takes signals from the handbrake and gearbox lever position. If those are met, then an input from the Up or Down operation of the hood switch enables output signals from the ecu to the relevant 3 relays for Window and Hood operation.

I would start again with the switch. ( It's also extremely likely that in disturbing the switches, you've also caused the issue with the passenger front window. All 3 of those switches are prone to gumming up and not operating correctly)

Hope that helps,

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 03-14-2024 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:28 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I believe all three switches are interchangeable.

To make sure it's not the convertible top switch, why don't you swap it out with the known good window switch to see if it works? That would at least completely eliminate the switch from the equation.

Wiring diagrams at jagrepair.com should help guide you on testing components after that.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:58 AM
Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Sorry, bad info about your foot on the brake. I just checked and sure enough you don't need your foot on the brake. I guess I've always had my foot on the brake when I raised or lowered the top.

The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 08:23 PM

Thank you everyone. I went back in and cleaned all three switches . Both main windows work again but still nothing on the roof. I dont even see a voltage drop on the dash gauge when i press the switch. Ill check for 12 v power on the female side of the plug tomorrow and report back. Thanks again for the help. Regards, jeff

Old 03-14-2024, 08:24 PM

I’ll try that. Thank you

Old 03-16-2024, 08:47 PM

So today the sun came out and this is my ongoing report. I tried using a the roof switch on a window plug .Window worked so im guessing switch is ok. Checked all six relays for continuity and operation .all seem good.replaced 30 amp fuse. I looked for power at the roof switch with a multi meter. Black probe to ground and red probe to white gray wire. Nothing. but got 4-5 volts at solid gray wire ??? Dont know what this means. Good news is cruise control now works after cleaning switch on console

Old 03-17-2024, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

So:

- White / Grey wire = 4-5v
- Grey wire = 0v

What voltage did you have on the third wire?

Paul

Old 03-17-2024, 08:33 AM

Third wire is black with pink ,ground ,so i just left the black probe connected to that as i tested the other two with the red probe from my multimeter. If one of the gray leads has voltage and the other doesnt. Does that mean the non volt circuit is open by design ill attack the circuit diagram i used

Old 03-17-2024, 08:48 AM

So in the diagram above at the roof switch theres a ground and two wires leading to the control module. With the car running in park and emergengy brake on, i put the clack negative probe into the female side of the plug with the black and pink wire marked ground. Then with the red probe it stuck it in the other two gray connections. The sw,silver with white , wire gave me a reading of 4-5 volts the other wire marked sr, mine is solid silver or grat, showed no voltage.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:59 PM

Is it possible the even tho the emergency brake light comes on when i engage the hand brake that the micro switch that signal the top operation is defective? Since my rear quarter windows and roof both do no respond , im wondering if any power is getting to them. All relays in trunk seem to function normally from tests. Roof switch has been cleaned and works with front windows. Thanks, jeff

Quick Reply: Conv top