XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Could this be the 'Holy Grail' of Classic Car Insurance Companies? (UK Only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014 | 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

PTJS1 (do you mind if I just call PT?)
I think that your man is completely wrong: in the old days when you had a proper looking certificate on a proper piece of embossed paper (instead of the scrap bit of A4 that you get now) that would have worked but not anymore.
You can't have 2 MOT certificates anymore because The Matrix will know: as soon as your fail hits the system it doesn't come up as a fail, it comes up as not having an MOT: ipso ergo fatto burgero sum.
When was the last time that you had to take any paperwork into the post office to tax your car? Name, car registration, money. Done. No paperwork involved at all.
The new overwrites the old in our wonderful digital age.
If you want to avoid all the hassle then a pre '63? car doesn't need an MOT and they have introduced a rolling 40 year old exemption for road tax.
But you still need a piece of paper to say that you don't need a piece of paper.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014 | 06:55 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
Simples....Do what l did and call the DVLA, they will tell you that ofcouse you can drive it to a pre arranged MOT......and the insurance covers it.
Sorry but you are Wrong!

Its all about the wording of 'Your Insurance Policy' If it says in the

'What's not Covered Section'

That it doesn't Cover Cars without an MOT then that is exactly what it means, regardless of what anyone else might tell you.

It would be very unlikely that 'Your Insurance Policy' would actually State in Black and White 'The Only Exception Being If You Are Driving To Or From A Pre Booked MOT.

Its all about the wording in your Insurance Policy.

Of course there may be exceptions but I doubt it.

And if you were stopped then you would be done, on 'a point of law'

Old 05-01-2014 | 06:58 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
'Simples'. Crap, you're not infested with meerkats too are you?
Nice one Steve! lol

Old 05-01-2014 | 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

You live in the UK: you are not required to 'produce' anything to anybody.
What do you intend to do? It sounds like you have a really nice car but it is both worthless and pointless unless you can drive it.
Open the box; we are all dying to see if it passes or not!

orangeblossom (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014 | 07:19 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
I've just checked the wording on an AXA insurance policy and whilst I can't find anything that mentions MoTs, the wording in the AXA policy does state:

General exceptions which apply to all sections of this policy
We will not pay:

4. any liability, loss, damage, cost or expense caused if your car:
a) is not taxed and is not registered in the United Kingdom with the DVLA unless your car is in the process of being registered with the DVLA.

That would seem to imply that whilst your insurance might be valid whilst driving to an MoT, it would be invalid if the car wasn't taxed.

And, by the same token, the wording in a GoGirl insurance policy states:

This Policy does not provide cover for any accident, injury, damage or loss when the insured vehicle is:
(a) being driven in an unsafe, un-roadworthy or damaged condition or does not have a valid MOT certificate when needed

So, driving to pre-arranged MoT might negate this, but who knows how an insurance company might try and wriggle out!

It all seems to be a bit of a grey area!

Paul
Hi Paul

It is not a Grey Area! It is absolutely Black and White!

The thing is most people, renew their MOT and Tax and Insurance before they run out, so they never come up against this sort of Problem, or the rights and wrongs of what you can do or what you cannot do!

So it disappears into the mist!

But if the wording of the Policy says that it doesn't Cover a Car that isn't Taxed and or Doesn't have an MOT.

If you got 'done' for no Insurance, because one or the other or both exclusions applied, you wouldn't have a single leg to stand on!

Even if you were not involved in an Accident, you couldn't realistically expect your Insurance Company to come riding to your Rescue to back you up, as that would be like going against their own written wording.

Its like a lot of other things in life, 'Its all OK until something goes wrong.

Old 05-01-2014 | 07:38 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Steve,

At the risk of hijacking OB's thread, I agree it does seem to be a bit of a grey area. I remember some years ago talking to a police colleague of mine who reminded me that:

- you may be legally technically allowed to drive to a pre-arranged MoT but you could still be charged if stopped and your vehicle found to unroadworthy
- you may be legally allowed to drive home from the MoT if the car has failed but only if it has failed on grounds that are not deemed to be "dangerous". The MoT tester must advise you if the vehicle is deemed to be too dangerous to drive home from the MoT.

So, I think you're right that you may be insured to drive home from a failed MoT, but if the car is deemed to be "dangerous" then you're probably not insured to drive it at any time.

I'll hit the bottle as well now!

Paul
Hi Paul

Don't worry about jumping in, I'm not the slightest bit bothered!

But that is what I would call 'Thinking on Thin Ice' Because even if your Car was Concourse and Perfect in every way.

Its all down to the wording of your Policy

In fact I had a phone call to-day from a well known insurance company, who had probably seen me looking at them on a Price Comparison Site.

And Telephoned me to ask if I'd like a Quote. 'Of course I would! I said'

Everything was rocking along and the Price was nice at Ł185 fully comp
until I said I had NO MOT! and asked if I would be covered To and From an MOT Testing Station for a Pre-Booked MOT

The Young Lady I spoke to said No! then She double checked with her Manager and He said No as well!

Even though they wanted my Business, there was nothing they could do, so if nothing else that's a Practical Example.

Just think what would have happened, if I had got stopped!

Old 05-01-2014 | 07:52 PM
|
Veteran Member

You live in the UK: you are not required to 'produce' anything to anybody.
What do you intend to do? It sounds like you have a really nice car but it is both worthless and pointless unless you can drive it.
Open the box; we are all dying to see if it passes or not!
Hi Steve

As much as it pains me to say it, you are wrong on that.

If you don't have your documents with you, they can make you produce them later on and they will almost certainly phone your Insurance Company on the spot to check the wording of your Policy.

If it excludes Vehicles with no Tax and or MOT then in the eyes of the Law you don't have any Insurance and then they will throw the book at you!

So I will either get written permission from the Insurance Company or get someone with Trade Plates or a Trailer.

Old 05-03-2014 | 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. . . .Everybody I've talked to says only and they said only, to go to a pre booked MOT
1) it doesn't need Tax and
2) the insurance covers it.

But carry on, you seem to be having fun your way...lol

orangeblossom (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014 | 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

You don't need to produce any documents because you can't tax your car without insurance and an MOT; it's all done electronically and stored in the Matrix. The ANPR system will do it automatically as soon as the rozzers come up behind you.

orangeblossom (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014 | 06:11 PM
|
Veteran Member

I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. . . .Everybody I've talked to says only and they said only, to go to a pre booked MOT
1) it doesn't need Tax and
2) the insurance covers it.

But carry on, you seem to be having fun your way...lol
Extract from Insurance Company Terms & Conditions
Having an MOT certificate
There must be a valid Department for
Transport test certificate (MOT) in force for the
insured vehicle
if one is needed by law. In the
absence of a valid Department for Transport
test certificate (MOT) all cover under sections
A and B of this insurance is cancelled and of
no effect.

Old 05-04-2014 | 06:15 PM
|
Veteran Member

You don't need to produce any documents because you can't tax your car without insurance and an MOT; it's all done electronically and stored in the Matrix. The ANPR system will do it automatically as soon as the rozzers come up behind you.
Yes Steve you are Correct but whether its done electronically or by producing hard copy, it amounts to the same thing.

Old 05-04-2014 | 06:40 PM

if it was me i would just drive very carefully to my appointment. inspection passed everything good to go for the drive home.

Old 05-04-2014 | 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

How can a MOT be needed by law to take a car, that doesn't have one yet, to an MOT test ???? That's why the DVLA say that it IS lawful to take your non-MOTed car to the MOT station......

From the DVLA web page
If your MOT has expired

You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has expired. You could be prosecuted if caught.
The only exception is if you’ve already booked an MOT and are driving your vehicle to the test centre.

Vehicle Registration and Tax enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802

Just call them and ask, and afterwards post on here what they say......simplessss

Old 05-06-2014 | 05:03 PM
|
Veteran Member

How can a MOT be needed by law to take a car, that doesn't have one yet, to an MOT test ???? That's why the DVLA say that it IS lawful to take your non-MOTed car to the MOT station......

From the DVLA web page
If your MOT has expired

You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has expired. You could be prosecuted if caught.
The only exception is if you’ve already booked an MOT and are driving your vehicle to the test centre.

Vehicle Registration and Tax enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802

Just call them and ask, and afterwards post on here what they say......simplessss
While that's the way it's supposed to work.

Having already been turned away by one Insurance Company, who may have had some sort of exclusion in place.

I need to make sure I am properly Covered, or else I will borrow a Trailer and do it like that.

Old 05-06-2014 | 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

While that's the way it's supposed to work.

Having already been turned away by one Insurance Company, who may have had some sort of exclusion in place.

I need to make sure I am properly Covered, or else I will borrow a Trailer and do it like that.
It's a classic Catch 22 situation. It appears that he government will let you drive to the pre-booked MOT if you're insured, but the insurance companies won't insure you if you don't have an MOT. The two functions operate independently.
Break the law and take the risk or get a trailer I guess.