XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Custom Instrument Panel Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020 | 10:06 PM
|
Default Custom Instrument Panel Gauges

I've suffered the traditional speedometer failure on my '78 XJ-S that's apparently common with mechanical cable driven setup.
Contemplating getting a later electronic speedometer from an '83+ or go completely custom w/ aftermarket gauges such as VDO or SpeedHut; the factory Jag electronic will keep the stock look and barrel utility gauges which I do like (ironically when first looking at gauges I did not like the barrel gauges but do now). I also like the idea of custom and looks like it would be relatively easy to fabricate a custom dash - my car is NOT a survivor and already has the Chevy SBC conversion; I'm customizing / having fun in a tasteful manner IMO.

If I do the custom gauges I'm contemplating a black carbon-fiber flat panel with a 3-3/8 speedometer and tach and then 4ea 2-1/16 utility gauges for fuel, volt, oil & water temp and then LED lights for turn, high-beam, brake, warning/check engine, etc.

Surround:
I'll need a new surround as mine is deformed and figure I'll end up trimming the back of the surround flat / even at the back where it will meet the new carbon-fiber panel.
So... Are the surrounds between the older barrel style gauges and the newer face-lift round dials identical regarding the fitting / mating up to the dash pad opening?
Given I'll probably be trimming where the surround meets at the panel trying to determine if the face-lift version will be an option and thus open up Ebay possibilities?

Other thoughts / Examples? Anyone else have examples or thoughts to share?

For custom see the Youtube below for the basic premise of what I'm thinking but much more current era; this example screams 1980's to me w/ the large incan bulbs and strange w/ only one utility gauge - planning 2ea large speedo & tach and 4ea smaller utility gauges and then small modern LED bulbs for turn, high-beam, brake & warning lights.
(50 sec mark)

Leaning towards SpeedHut Vintage gauges (either black face or white face); they have good reviews and like the GPS style speedometer.
https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338...dometer-160mph

Here's a unique custom where it appears they modified an XJ6 instrument cluster; not planning this, just thought it was pretty cool and well done.

And an example / tutorial on modifying for an electronic stock barrel gauge look.
Upgrading To An Electronic Speedometer

Once again, leaning towards going custom and appreciate any feedback RE ability to utilize a newer era face-lift surround if more convenient and/or any thoughts or examples from others?

Old 05-11-2020 | 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

I've considered this - in that I'd want to petition an established cluster manufacturer to do a production run of plug & play Jaguar panels with..all the nice additions I'd prefer. I'm thinking digital LCD display with virtual barrel gauges, other 'space' to be utilized by LCD displays no more bulbs...and options for scrolling through additional outputs like any modern car. Would really be nice to see oil coolant and dual air/fuel ratio in real time without ruining the look of the OEM cluster which is basically perfect as it. Think if the barrel gauge area was a screen you'd have several inches of useful display and menu space.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....=cat/cat59.htm

If you want to ask these guys I'll back you up, I mean our car had a 21 year production run there IS a market for this.

Old 05-12-2020 | 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Yep I plan on going digital inside. I might put in a racing led display thats all in one. But thats a year or so away.

I've always wanted a classic car look.on the outside and modern on inside.

The following users liked this post:
CZSteve (05-12-2020)
Old 05-14-2020 | 07:31 AM
|

BUMP
Anyone know if the instrument surround trim is identical between the older barrel style panel and the newer face-lift round utility gauge?
Only concerned about where the trim fits to the dash panel at the front and NOT where it fits up against the instrument cluster itself since if I go the custom route I'll probably modify the back side of the surround trim - e.g. Is the dash opening for the instrument cluster the same between the pre-face-lift and face-lift?

Reason: I need a new surround trim and want to know if either will fit for more options when searching.

Thanks, Steve

Old 05-14-2020 | 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CZSteve
BUMP
Anyone know if the instrument surround trim is identical between the older barrel style panel and the newer face-lift round utility gauge?
Only concerned about where the trim fits to the dash panel at the front and NOT where it fits up against the instrument cluster itself since if I go the custom route I'll probably modify the back side of the surround trim - e.g. Is the dash opening for the instrument cluster the same between the pre-face-lift and face-lift?

Reason: I need a new surround trim and want to know if either will fit for more options when searching.

Thanks, Steve
Steve
I have no clear idea of which bit of trim you are asking about. Could you post a photo?

Old 05-14-2020 | 08:05 AM

According to the parts list:

The 2 piece instrument trims are identical right up to Vin # 226645, which I reckon is the last XJS. These are the Black trims that are removed prior to the cluster being extracted from the hole.

Part # BBC5486 (Right Section) and BBC5487 (left section)

No segregation for RHD and LHD.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Don B (09-29-2020), Greg in France (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020 | 02:38 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

I had the last one from Banham in 1998 Series3 rev and speed with Smith 2"

Old 05-15-2020 | 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rgp
I had the last one from Banham in 1998 Series3 rev and speed with Smith 2"
Rex
What had to be done as far as the wiring of the binnacle went, and connecting it to the instruments?
I have long had an idea to re-wire my binnacle (not changing the instruments) to completely eliminate the blue flexible circuit thingy, and use a modern loom plug instead of the wretched OEM ones, which I hate and detest.

Greg

Old 05-15-2020 | 02:26 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Rex
What had to be done as far as the wiring of the binnacle went, and connecting it to the instruments?
I have long had an idea to re-wire my binnacle (not changing the instruments) to completely eliminate the blue flexible circuit thingy, and use a modern loom plug instead of the wretched OEM ones, which I hate and detest.

Greg
the loom came with a well made pair of plugs to convert to wiring, then its like any 60s car as far as wiring in concerned it was already assembled with gauges and warning lights just had to get the series 3 speedo and rev counter. I changed the hoods on the smiths gauges as I didn't like the straight across i chose black crackle instead of wood as its a sports car to me not a tree. lol

jaguar style they supplied

Last edited by rgp; 05-15-2020 at 03:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (05-15-2020)