XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cylinder head removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Cylinder head removal tool

I purchased a 1990 XJS that is in good condition but needs some engine work and I am looking to borrow, rent or buy a Cylinder removal tool. I see that Jaguar Preserve (CAMP CHAOS CHRONICLES) has a 2 piece kit to remove the heads @ $159.00) Depending on how stuck the heads are, I believe I will need 2 kits to be on the safe side.
Here is a bit of history on the car:
I spoke to the previous owner of the car and what he told me does not bode well for the engine. I am also picking up a second engine, just in case.
Here is what he told me:
He took the car to the past mentioned "Jaguar Doctor" (see my post on 1990 XJS bonnet) to get an oil change. During the drive back to his home the oil light started flickering. He called the mechanic and was told not to worry, it's probably the age of the wiring and he should bring the car back to the shop.
On his way there he said the engine started to shake violently and started to lose power. At the same time he noticed that the engine temp was rising and the engine was blowing a lot of smoke from the exhaust, so he pulled over and shut the car down. The mechanic towed the car to his shop and he was told that the engine was blown up and the price he was quoted for the repair was beyond his budget so he donated the car to the president of the Jaguar Club to see what he could get for the car.
I am purchasing the car because it is in very good shape besides the engine. I am also picking up an engine ($200) with the hope of taking two engines and making one. The second engine has a dropped valve. so says the jaguar club guy.
I am into this already, so I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.
My plan is to get the car to my house and try to get it running so I can see for myself what is going on.
If the lower end of the engine in the car is shot then my plan is to remove the cylinder heads and install them on the second engine which I would inspect first to see what other damage the dropped valve did. I believe I can make one good engine out of the two, but that is left to be seen.
The major concern I have is the phrase "started to shake violently".
Worst case scenario is the oil pump failed hence the oil light and the engine started to self destruct. If that is the case the cylinder heads may still be in good shape but the camshaft may be damaged. Until I have the car at my house, all of the above is speculation and it may be something totally different.
Will keep you all posted. Bad engines have never been a deterrent to me.
This car is worth saving.

Last edited by sanchez; 06-06-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2024, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

I believe JCNA has a V12 head puller for loan. All you pay for is shipping each way. They take a deposit until you return the tool. I believe theirs is a solid plate, better than the individual ones the Camp Chaos uses as it engages all of the studs. I'd give JCNA a shot before investing in your own tools. I've used thenloan program a few times for various tools, and it is well worth being a member of JCNA.

Jon

Old 06-06-2024, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I have to join to get the tool from JCNA. Do I join my local Jaguar club or JCNA directly?

Old 06-06-2024, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Either will work. You can join as a member at large, but usually cheaper to join thru a local club.
Jon

Old 06-06-2024, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks again. I joined my local club.

Old 06-07-2024, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 746 Posts

I have CAD files for laser cutting laminated plate style head puller if you want them.

Old 06-07-2024, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts

Start rethinking the whole situation.
First how much do you really think you can save of the old engine? From the sounds of it. No chance at all!!
Why not take a short cut? There are plenty of affordable used engines around. Most Are mechanically sound. They Just stopped running because of a problem with the EFI. Or even simpler the ignition.
Because I’m a real cheapskate I have never paid more than $300 for one. Many were free, but if you are lazy and impatient I’d go on the website Car-Parts .com. It’s a junkyard listing site. Enter the 5.3 V12 engine.
Here you can save yourself a lot of grief. There are basically 3 types of 5.3.V12’s
XKE ( carbs and the wrong bellhousing pattern ) & the early sedans up to 1978 ditto
1978-1980 pre HE
1981- 1992 HE.
There will be detail differences. But you can pull those parts off your engine and put them on the replacement engine.
You don’t need a running engine. Just try turning the engine over. The starter will work or put a big ratchet and turn it over using the big nut on the crankshaft. Clock wise!
If it turns over a few times smoothly you have a winner.
No don’t rebuild it. Jaguar V12’s are really durable even if the EFI. Is too complex for most to work on.
I’ll warn you, at first that engine which has been sitting around for a very long time will run tough and likely smoke a lot! It will warm up and start running smoother. As the piston rings free them self the smoking will go away.
Ask I’ll walk you through the whole process step by step.
At one time I had 50 engines stacked up 2 were bad but I knew that just looking at them. One had a big hole in the block where a connecting rod went on vacation and the other wouldn’t turn over.
I know part of you wants to open up the old engine and see what’s inside.
Go ahead but before you do clean the studs of the built up crude. Plug the water pump inlet and fill the block with industrial vinegar 30% strength
let it sit a week or 2 Then Flush it out and do it again. Keep doing it until it comes out clean.
Now you have a chance of prying off the heads. Or at least using one of those plates to get it off.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mguar:
JJS- Florida (06-08-2024), richardsjags (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

@Mguar I wish I could find an engine within driving distance. There are engines for sale on Ebay and other sites but the shipping costs will almost double the cost of the engine.
I am in Florida and if any engines are for sale down here the owners are charging the price of gold for them. Add the cost of renting a pickup truck and the price goes up.
The extra engine I am getting turns over but according to the seller it has a dropped valve. The engine in the car is in the condition as described in the post above. My plan is to swap the heads and make one good engine from the two. This depends on what I see when I get the car and the extra engine to my house. I just may have 2 boat anchors for all I know but I am already committed to the project. I am picking up the car and engine on Monday.
The main problem I will have is seeing how difficult the head removal will be. Looking to purchasing head pullers. I spoke to my local Jaguar club which I joined and according to them the JCNA loaner program for the head puller has a long waiting list and I will be 3 to 6 months out. I don't want to wait that long.
I will be posting as I go along.

Last edited by sanchez; 06-08-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sanchez
@Mguar I wish I could find an engine within driving distance. There are engines for sale on Ebay and other sites but the shipping costs will almost double the cost of the engine.
I am in Florida and if any engines are for sale down here the owners are charging the price of gold for them. Add the cost of renting a pickup truck and the price goes up.
The extra engine I am getting turns over but according to the seller it has a dropped valve. The engine in the car is in the condition as described in the post above. My plan is to swap the heads and make one good engine from the two. This depends on what I see when I get the car and the extra engine to my house. I just may have 2 boat anchors for all I know but I am already committed to the project. I am picking up the car and engine on Monday.
The main problem I will have is seeing how difficult the head removal will be. Looking to purchasing head pullers. I spoke to my local Jaguar club which I joined and according to them the JCNA loaner program for the head puller has a long waiting list and I will be 3 to 6 months out. I don't want to wait that long.
I will be posting as I go along.
Call the loaner program directly and ask them how long it will take. Wait times can vary all over the place. They have a limit on how long you can retain the tools, about a week or so, so they can get them to other users. Their number is on this page:
https://www.jcna.com/jcna-tool-loan-...m-introduction

Jon

Old 06-08-2024, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely remove as much of the build up as you can. The steel head studs are exposed to scale, rust, and sludge going through the coolant.
Stand the engine up on the ring gear then
Plug up the water pumps intake. Fillthe coolant jackets with something to remove all of that. You can use a commercial radiator flush out or 30% vinegar solution ( not grocery store stuff). Buy it at a good hardware store or some big box stores.
Let it sit for several days then flush it out and repeat until the water comes out clean.
It’s messy and time consuming but it really will help.

If you have an engine that had the antifreeze changed on schedule it’s easy to remove the head. If you have to pull it up through built up scale, rust, and sludge, it’s a major chore with no promise of success.
Watching Camp Chaos video’s you’ll see even Robert had to resort to cutting off the studs.
Up here in the frozen Arctic changing antifreeze is a part of winter preparation and as a result all of my 50 engines heads came off without using a head puller.

As far as getting a replacement engine, don’t buy from E-Bay!!!! Everybody selling theirs thinks it’s worth a lot more than it actually should.
If you go on Car-parts.com you’ll Get a much more market driven price. Prices are listed along with any warranty and how many miles etc. Plus all of them can give you shippings costs.
My choice is I wait until after Halloween ( winter coming) and start calling local guys selling whole cars. The last 2 Jaguars I bought were $500 each. Nice thing is you don’t even need to swap transmissions.
Finally,
If you look at North & South Carolina, Georgia prices are a whole lot more reasonable. if you have something that can pull a trailer ( the engine weighs about 800 pounds with accessories ) remember to load it so more of the weight is towards the tongue. makes your options a whole lot bigger.

Last edited by Mguar; 06-08-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

@Mguar Camp Chaos used a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. I think I may also try that. BTW the engine that he had to cut the studs off was in a fire and could only turn a few degrees back and forth. That engine looked as if it was underwater for a long time. Most everything was rusted and I don't think he was able to salvage very much from it. I will wait until I have the car and extra engine at my house before I start engine shopping. I looked at car-part this morning to find something close to me (South East). I will extend my search a little further to see what's available. Since the extra engine I am getting turns over by hand, I am very optimistic.
@jal1234: Thanks for that info. I will give JCNA a call next Tuesday. I am picking up the car on Monday.

Old 06-08-2024, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Robert is a really nice and honestly knows a lot about Jaguars.
I disagree with the 50-50 ATF AND ACETONE ON THE HEAD STUDS because the prime problem isn’t oil or loosening a bolt. It’s the build up of deposits, calcium, and rust.
29? Studs hold a head on and 22 of them are in the coolant. There is absolutely minimum clearance between the head studs and the holes because the studs are used to locate the head.

Old 06-08-2024, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sanchez
@Mguar Camp Chaos used a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. I think I may also try that. BTW the engine that he had to cut the studs off was in a fire and could only turn a few degrees back and forth. That engine looked as if it was underwater for a long time. Most everything was rusted and I don't think he was able to salvage very much from it. I will wait until I have the car and extra engine at my house before I start engine shopping. I looked at car-part this morning to find something close to me (South East). I will extend my search a little further to see what's available. Since the extra engine I am getting turns over by hand, I am very optimistic.
@jal1234: Thanks for that info. I will give JCNA a call next Tuesday. I am picking up the car on Monday.
I missed that part about the engine turns over. If it will do 360 degrees without a clunk or stopping I really doubt it dropped a valve.
I agree with you, then it should be a good candidate.
Robert is a professional and he sells his services. I’m a hobbiest and money is my prime restriction. I will reuse used parts and swap them back and forth to get a decent engine.
While I haven’t been caught yet, there is much greater chance of failure the way I do things. Than what Robert does.
Frankly if I was spending money to have that sort of work done Robert does it correctly. I can only take the chance because I am willing to risk it. Ok ok