XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A day in my short life as a Jag Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default A day in my short life as a Jag Owner.

If you have read any of my other posts you know that I have had an interesting beginning to my Jaguar ownership.

Well today was another interesting one to say the least.

I finally had the trans issue sorted which was the kickdown switch being stuck and finished installing new plugs cap and rotor and checking the centrifugal advance which was good.

So I took the car for a little trip to the car wash and decided to pressure wash the engine, which I have done to hundreds of cars.

Out of all of these cars only two have had issues afterwords. one was a volvo and the other of coarse was the Jag,,

The car did start but was running on a few cylinders which I wasn't surprised buy considering the way the wiring harness is made.

so I parked it adn went across the street for some lunch and to let her dry out a bit.

I came back and started ehr up and she was running better but still not on all 12 so I began to drive around the parking lot to see if things got better.

At this point I became aware of some smoke coming from the hood and stopped to look,,

What I found was a fire at the back down near the transmission!!!!!!

I ran to the gas station and grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran back to the car and had the fire out with a single blast from it.

After a look I found that the vacuum modulator hose had melted on the cat and caused the fire, the car still ran and I was able to drive home, without shifting of coarse without the modulator.

So I came home and replaced the hose and went out for another ride and all was well for a while. At this point the car started smoking very badly and I thought it was on fire again.

It turned out to be that the vacuum modulator had been damaged by the heat from the fire the I was sucking the trans fluid into the right intake causing the smoke, hilarious!!!

I still haven't driven the car for more than 10 minutes without having some major issue with it, but I will get there! It is a very nice car that just hasn't had the basic maintenance done so I am catching her up...

Long Post ,,,,,,,,

Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I recommend carrying your own fire extinguisher onboard. Or not, depending on your insurance coverage...

Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by avt007
I recommend carrying your own fire extinguisher onboard. Or not, depending on your insurance coverage...

Good advice.. shouldn't be required though once this are sorted out..

Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If car engines were meant to be washed you would have a beach towel in the tool kit.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

If you check a few of the threads in this section you may find that the cause and effect are:

-- dampness -> misfire -> unburned fuel -> cat running hot -> melted bits -> fire

The other threads did not involve dampness, but started at the misfire stage due to module failures.