XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dilemma......

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Dilemma......

So as I have posted I picked up a very nice original 90 XJS last week. I bought this car for myself not for my business or for my bodyshop to restore and sell. Well, one of my bodyshop employees who shares my passion for Jags asks me if I would sell it to him. Im like Garry, I just bought it and for myself not to resell. Anyway, he comes back to me a few hours later and offers me $1000 more than I paid for it. I said, why would you do that ? I did tell everyone what I paid...... I didn't care, it was for me.

So with the end of the XK coming next year I really want to pick up one before they go up in price and honestly a $1000 profit in 4 days is not a bad turn on investment.... Im really torn. The XK has been on my list for about a year now and when I bought this it kinda cooled my thinking about getting one until the announcement.

For what I paid for the XJS I could keep it forever and wouldn't effect me financially (well if I had to fix a million things it would). I really am torn, and he said its worth the extra $1000 because I know these cars well and know how to buy them. Talk about sucking up, LOL. Thoughts ?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Why do you think XK's will go up in price when production ends? Jaguar made a ton of these cars, I very much doubt prices will be going anywhere but continuing to slide gently downwards.

That said, if you really want an XK instead on an XJS, then it seems to me you've already answered your own question

Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Keep the XJS and get the XK. 1k is not that much in the grand scheme of things considering you are buying a car that's certainly over 30k if used.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Well you are going to want the XK closest to the end of the line as possible, it will be the most refined XK made and you will want to wait for a few years of depreciation to grab it.

It is sad, but i can see where it is pointless when it doesn't perform like the F type and costs more, and it is basically a baby aston so we aren't really losing much Jag. I've always wanted one of the latest generation because they are gorgeous, but they are gorgeous because they look like an Aston and for 40-60k you can buy a used Aston with very low miles....so why would I?

For $1,000 I'd keep the XJS, you can probably still make that profit in the future after the XK price drops (unless you wanna buy it new).
If you bough it for yourself you wanted it, so i'd keep it for a while.

There is also the option of selling it for another $1,000 and finding a XJS $1,000 nicer for now. Or buying one for the same price in the same condition and spending $1,000 on a new suspension or the like for it.

EDIT: You sig say MBG instead of MGB...i see it all the time and I've never mentioned it lol