XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

"Direct Fit" of a Wizard Aluminum Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Direct Fit" of a Wizard Aluminum Radiator?

Good Morning One and All,

I am looking for someone who has firsthand experience in replacing the factory radiator with the Wizard aluminum model (#578-110) on a ’95 or ’96 XJS, 4.0L w/ automatic transmission. I would like to ask that person, “Was the new radiator a true “direct-fit”?

Because of the extra depth/thickness of the Wizard, I am wondering:
1. Did the Wizard radiator interfere with the original factory electric auxiliary cooling fan without modification?
2. Did the original factory fan shroud, fan and fan clutch still fit without modification?
3. Did the original factory radiator hoses and transmission cooler lines match up to the Wizard without modification?

My Jag has had no cooling issues but the radiator needs to be placed. After 5 weeks of broken promises to “ship this week”, the real Jaguar product has not even left the UK. Therefore I am thinking of breaking from my own rule of trying to keep the cat “Pure Jaguar”.

SNG Barratt has graciously offered to let me cancel the order without penalty, so here I am, on the fence.

So, if you have done the swap on the same year and engine as I have given, I would like to hear your answers to my questions.

Thank you in advance.

Scott

Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 529 Posts

Another option to consider is taking your current radiator to a local shop that will "re-core" it. That will keep it "pure Jaguar", and it's usually the most cost effective solution as well.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Mac, Thanks for the quick reply.

My local shop quoted me $700 to rebuild mine, which to me is out of the question when I compare that to the price of a new factory ($620USD) or Wizard ($740).

As for keeping it "pure Jag", I have to admit. My car is a really nice driver but not concours quality. My main concern is to maintain this as a reliable touring car, to be used on many road trips already planned ahead into the future.

So maybe the aftermarket radiator is not that big of an issue. And I understand the aluminum is a better performing unit and they have it in stock and it will be here in 5 days (I called them Friday afternoon to confirm availability). I plan for this car to remain in the family for generations to come, but I am going to keep it on the road, not in a museum.

I haven't made my decision although it may sound that way. The way things are going, the factory unit could take another 4-6 weeks to get here.

Here is the REAL problem: When we bought the car two years ago, my wife had one stipulation: "It BETTER be ready to go to Maine and Nova Scotia in early June '17.

The more I type, the more clear my choice is. If the radiator has not shipped by tomorrow, there may be aluminum under the hood next weekend!

Mac, thanks again for your input.

Scott

Old 04-30-2017, 01:00 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Jus for my education, if the car has no cooling issues, why replace the radiator?

I use my 96 as a daily driver so i will continue to monitor this thread. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by scottw
Mac, Thanks for the quick reply.

My local shop quoted me $700 to rebuild mine, which to me is out of the question when I compare that to the price of a new factory ($620USD) or Wizard ($740).
Local shops were quoting me over a grand as soon as they heard it was Jaguar (typical). However, it turns out that a lot of the shops who claim to rebuild actually send them out to other shops and mark them up. It took a little time calling around, but I finally found a shop that does nothing but recores, and didn't pretend the XJS radiator was some exotic one-off. IIRC it was around $400.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 04-30-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Vee,
Even though there were no overheating issues, the tank seams were beginning to leak. We've been stranded out in the Arizona desert before, in late July, in a different vehicle. Needless to say, I'm not taking chances anymore.

Mac, I made the mistake of letting my local guy quote the work but in reality, he was subbing it out. When I found out, I tried to go direct the real repair shop. They remembered the radiator and wouldn't do the work direct for me because they wouldn't cut out the local guy (small town and everyone knows everyone). I guess I have to respect them for their scruples... So lesson learned. Put in a new one and move on. I just got to get it back on the road.

Thanks again guys and thanks for trying to save me money. I truly appreciate it, but like I said, lesson learned.

Scott

Old 04-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hey Scott . . . I have followed your thread silently but with interest . . . but now your mention of Arizona prompts me to add a quick comment, not about the XJ-S, but our now gone Series1 E-Type, whose OEM rad was marginal at best . . . but, for the harsher, far hotter climes of inland Australia (and Arizona) of continuous 40+C summer temps, was totally inadequate. Like you, seam leakage prompted lots of evaluation.

Re-cored (locally, faultlessly, and no more expensive than options) with a core that introduced 2 added rows of water channels, all our 100+mph overheating disappeared forever . . . and the added core thickness was virtually unnoticeable.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-30-2017, 08:20 PM

I would like to say "Thank You" to all who have responded. I truly appreciate your insight and suggestions.

Please do not be offended, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has installed, or tried to install the Wizard Cooling aluminum radiator in a 95-96 XJS 4.0L.

Thanks again,

Scott

Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Not a late-facelift straight-six, but I had a Wizard installed in my early facelift 1992 V12. It's not quite a direct drop-in apparently - the shop had to use a few extra washers for spacing for the fan shrouds. Other than that, which is pretty minor, I would imagine that the same applies for your car. There's a few posts on this site about the replacement, which might be of interest if you haven't read them already.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

$700 for a recore seems extortionate to me. When I had my 1966 S Type recored I think it was $125.

Out of curosity , have you tried a Jaguar dealer? It shows available on Jaguar heritage's site, part number MHE4190AA

NAR is who makes them for Jaguar: JAGUAR MHE4190AA XJS 3.6 RADIATOR NEW C/B - NAR Group Ltd

Maybe check and see if there is stock: http://www.welshent.com/product_info...=985_1025_1031

Last edited by Jagboi64; 04-30-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

I know yours is a 6cyl but for what its worth , I had/have a Wizard in my 91 12cyl for about 7 years. I went with two electric aftermarket fans and the rad dropped right in it was a perfect fit and has a petcock, sensor boss and the bottom hose is easy to remove. Since mine is a 5 speed I order it without the auto trans cooler. IMO the only way to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by 44lawrence:
Greg in France (05-04-2017), Hedman (07-19-2020)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:23 AM

Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have made the decision. I have cancelled the order for the OEM radiator and have ordered the Wizard Cooling aluminum radiator. I will give my evaluation once I have installed it.

Thanks to all of you who have given your feedback.

Scott

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

I am sorry I do not have the 4.0 I6
I did buy the 5.3 v12 one with the automatic box checked from WIzard cooling and it was a straight drop in and hook it up.
cool running in Florida with humid 38 C temps
I would trust them...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 05-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan-W:
Greg in France (05-04-2017), Hedman (07-19-2020)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

Scott, Just something to consider before you order a rad with a built in trans cooler. Think about running a remote auto trans cooler. I ran one when mine was a auto. It gave little more coolant volume in the new rad and no chance of coolant in the trans. Is it worth it ? Just cover all bases

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-04-2017)