XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Disconnected hose: what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Adding to that: The plastic thingy is NLA and could be replaced by a suitable brass 90 degree fitting. BUT the Hose 4 is also NLA. I recently helped a friend get over this by buying a suitable hose (ie 1 inch diameter with a 90 degree bend) and installing into it one of these:

https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/h...one-hoses.html

One of the range of which handily comes in the right ID for the dizzy spigot, and will not fail in the heat. Works fine.
Greg

Clever !

I'm amazed at all the neato products out there nowadays....and how they can be used in keep our old cars on the road.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Adding to that.

The elbow #5 is the plastic item in question, and if you have one that is intact, buy a lottery ticket, it is a special moment.

Another alternative source for the distributor vent suction, if needed, is to simply install a hose nipple on the backside of the LH air filter housing. I did this once on a pal's XJS (long story) years ago and all has been well.

There are many ways to skin a cat. The vent system really doesn't need a strong suction to operate. Just slightly lower than atmospheric to create a 'draft' that will pull air thru.

In fact, too much suction will pull engine oil past the distributor seals and into the distributor itself, well and thoroughly soaking it and results in a non-running V12! That's another long story, related to the first long story, with an added "Ask me how I know". But, really, I'd prefer you didn't ask

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
v1rok (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 10,478 Likes on 6,919 Posts

I did exactly that with mine when I removed the AAV, balance pipe, etc.

A LOT rough, but it was the mock up to see if it would work, and it did, so I tidied it up heaps, but forgot the Kodak.

Disconnected hose: what is it?-inside-aircleaner.jpg

Originally had that pipe closer to the throttle opening, but with the larger discs in there, the "whistle" was terrible, so it got shorter until it shut up.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-07-2017 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (05-07-2017)