XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Disconnected vacuum line? To distributor???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I still don't have my vacuum tester, but I tried the "sucking test" Greg described.

Not quite sure what the difference should be between "air flowing freely" (capsule Ok) and "not flowing freely" (capsule is toast). I think I can detect some air flow, but not much. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Anybody can describe?

Old 09-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Think of it as the difference between sucking on a drinking straw with your finger over the end or an open end. You should be able to build some vacuum if there is a good diaphragm, but if it's leaking/cracked etc you'd just suck air past it - the open straw situation.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Think of it as the difference between sucking on a drinking straw with your finger over the end or an open end. You should be able to build some vacuum if there is a good diaphragm, but if it's leaking/cracked etc you'd just suck air past it - the open straw situation.
I see. It feels to me more like straw with an open end than with a finger over the end.

So, it means that vacuum capsule is toast?

The only fix is to order a new one?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
I see. It feels to me more like straw with an open end than with a finger over the end.

So, it means that vacuum capsule is toast?

The only fix is to order a new one?
Correct, a new one. This will give you a good reason to do a full service and strip and lube on the dizzy. When you decide to do it, post again as there are parts that can be broken of you do not remove them in a careful manner.

By the by, your other post says "air flowing freely" (capsule Ok) and "not flowing freely" (capsule is toast)." I hope you realise you have this the wrong way round! Air flowing freely = capsule toast!

The following users liked this post:
v1rok (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
By the by, your other post says "air flowing freely" (capsule Ok) and "not flowing freely" (capsule is toast)." I hope you realise you have this the wrong way round! Air flowing freely = capsule toast!
Yep, my mistake. I should have reversed them! Thanks for catching!