XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The to do list!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default The to do list!

G'Day Colleagues

Tomorrow may be a big day for me, I may finaly take possecion of a 1990 XJS coupe, 5.3 V12. Price is confirmed and now just upto the mechanic to give it a once over for an alls well. Now if I take possecion I have a list of things in order that I beleive need doing before I am going to be really happy with it,

No 1. Remove the Marrelli distributor and replace it with a lucus one. Use a MSD coil splitter to run the two coils and all the existing Marrelli electrics. I have read Kirby's book and this is meant to be an easy task, but I still don't understand how the advance is going to work?

No 2. Find an exhaust shop to remove the rear silencers and install resonators or straight through pipes, cant wait to get rid of those absolutely Kacky original rear tubes.

No 3. Remove the radiator and have it boiled out, also convert it to single pass. I can easily make up a stainless Y and combine both banks to one.

No 4. Now this could be a long term project, can not see this one happening quickly at all. Must and state again "MUST" replace the GM 400 auto with a manual 5 speed. The bell housing is sorted with this crowd V12 Jaguar Bell Housing I have also found new Tremec Tr3650 5 speed for $1400. These were used behind 5.4l v8 Falcon's. The only thing I'm not sure about is if there is a difference between the TR3550 and the TR3650? The other thing thing is finding a pedal box to suit with ABS. There was one on Ebay but somebody beat me to it, plus wasn't sure if the car was mine at the time and still am not sure.

Well hopefully all goes well, and then we start. May end up being a nice drive in the end.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds good. Welcome to the xjs club! Keep us updated on your progress.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Pedal Box

Originally Posted by Katoh
G'Day Colleagues
There was one on Ebay but somebody beat me to it, plus wasn't sure if the car was mine at the time and still am not sure.

Well hopefully all goes well, and then we start. May end up being a nice drive in the end.
There was a complete pedal box on E-Bay UK last week, but not sure if configuration is the same with RHD versus LHD -I would think they would, but I was proven wrong recently on another RHD vs LHD item (Large Headlights).

Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 PM

There was a complete pedal box on E-Bay UK last week, but not sure if configuration is the same with RHD versus LHD -I would think they would, but I was proven wrong recently on another RHD vs LHD item (Large Headlights).
Australia is RHD so one out of the UK should be fine. The US left hand pedal box's are apparently different again. There are a few on the Ebay UK at the moment but not for ABS. Maybe a petal box out of a later model ie. xj8 or xk or something else might suite. My knowledge is limited to what can be substitued.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 AM

Just got word, she sold the car before I could get to look at it.
Not meant to be this is the second one thats happened. Before anyone comments I was 6 hours drive away from it, you just can't buy one over the net you have to look at the darn thing first.
Must be Bad Karma, may have to give up on Jags and buy a pushbike.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

If it were meant to be, God would have made it happen. Keep looking, the one you want is out there somewhere!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I did the five speed swap, so I can be of some help. where are you located?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:32 AM

If it were meant to be, God would have made it happen. Keep looking, the one you want is out there somewhere!
Yep your right, what really s**ts me about this one it was a done deal, I was ready to pickup the car this morning, money in my pocket and they where expecting me. Then the phone rings yesterday afternoon and with the message sorry we sold it. WTF!

I did the five speed swap, so I can be of some help. where are you located?
I am in Canberra, Australia. There are so many questions I want to ask you about the conversion, but I don't think this thread is the right one to do that. Ill have to PM you when I find something. Out of interest what transmission did you use and are you happy with it?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I looked at a manual swap but the ABS pedal box is unique to the ABS XJS. Only options are:

1 Find a late model I6 ABS XJS manual pedal box
2 Modify yours and add a clutch pedal and master cylinder.

I am near Liverpool NSW so more than happy to help. There are a few things to look for when you buy.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 AM

I am near Liverpool NSW so more than happy to help. There are a few things to look for when you buy.
Thanks So much, I just may take you up o your offer. At the moment I'm searching for a car, actually trying to negotiate on a 83 model. Oops there I go again just cursed myself, every time I mention it the opposite happens.

There is a dealer in the US that sells kits for your own pedal box to get converted to a double for the clutch. But apparently the RHD version you needs a few skills to make it work, like aluminum welding, well I can do that, but the trap maybe once all weighed up may cost me more than just a made one? I think more research is needed.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

The LHD and RHD pedal boxes are identical the difference is in the pedal offset. Thet do come up on eBay UK from time to time much cheaper than the conversion. I decided to go 4L60e from a V8 Commodore. Already have the bits so no manual for me now.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to ask how much are you looking to spend? Because the purchase price can often be the cheapest part of the deal. My car cost $7K out of QLD originally sold new in Sydney and almost NO rust, a true BARN find. I have since spent at least another $15K in the process of restoring her

Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM

The LHD and RHD pedal boxes are identical the difference is in the pedal offset.
Great to know have to keep that note handy.

Forgot to ask how much are you looking to spend? Because the purchase price can often be the cheapest part of the deal.
Yep figured that one out. But I have a little advantage over most people, one I have my own machinary all CNC and access to others for parts. I have family also who are in the trade, helps big time, don't want to brag but am no slouch myself when it comes to mechanics. Ok price wise I have a budget and its pretty tight, this is not a necessity for me, so I have to draw the line somewhere. In sayig that I did match an offer that was close to a 1/3 over budget, NOT GOOD! but the seller will not except and wants more. What they dont realise its going to cost me so much for than that offer just to take deleviry. Air Fares, Accomodation, Permits( preregistered ).

Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a borg warner t5 with heavt duty gears and it's perfect for the car, shifts like a jaguar should and fits easily.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

BTW that $15K is all parts I have done all the work myself (including paint) except rebuild the diff. Albeit I bought a 6.0L V12 go in at $3K.

There are a couple of cheap 1977/6 XJS on carsales (in Sydney) for around the $5k mark. If you are going to some work these can be upgraded easily to later specs.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM

I have a borg warner t5 with heavt duty gears and it's perfect for the car, shifts like a jaguar should and fits easily.
Actually a T5 was my first choice in transmissions but the general conciseness seems to think they just aren't strong enough? I question this, as a standard 5.3 jag is no were near some off our more modern v8,s that they use these box's behind. No offense to the jag motor in that comment!

There are a couple of cheap 1977/6 XJS on carsales (in Sydney) for around the $5k mark. If you are going to some work these can be upgraded easily to later specs.
Looking at another 83 HE not bad condition but needs a paint job. I wouldn't do it, I have that many other things happening I couldn't even possibly find time. I have a freind asking the question for me, a price just for re-spray, might be worth while.On the other hand you never know I might get bored, but I doubt it, and im sure my wife will remind me off it.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
Actually a T5 was my first choice in transmissions but the general conciseness seems to think they just aren't strong enough? I question this, as a standard 5.3 jag is no were near some off our more modern v8,s that they use these box's behind. No offense to the jag motor in that comment!

I'm *not* an authority on this but I think a T5 would be fine if you don't thrash the unmericiful s*it out of it

It was indeed used behind many low/medium-power V8s. Like any trans it naturally has limits, though. I vaguely recall the it was originally designed to tolerate 300 lb/ft of engine torque. A standard 5.3 V12 comes in below that at something like 260-280.

I think many problems were caused when engine power was significantly increased and/or when drivers were abusive (the two often go hand in hand ).

Cheers
DD

Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 AM

I sent an Email to Fivespeeds that make the bell housing to suit the v12, I asked about the TR3650 as opposed to the TR3550. You would think there's not that much in it but, The TR3650 wont fit but the TR3550 will? OK They are the experts not me. They personally recommended either a TKO500 or 600 or a Ford T5 V8 box not any other. The T5's are easy to find here especially the ford V8 version's not to sure if they used the same box in the XR6 turbo's.
Anyway things are progressing slowly, Ill keep you posted.

Just to add, my "boy racer" days are dead and berried, nowdays I don't brag about how quick I can burn up tyres but how long they can last me!

Last edited by Katoh; 06-20-2013 at 01:10 AM.