XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

does any one enter competitions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

English Motors at Fairbrook, SoCal, last Sunday. The kitty won best of class. but it wasn't easy, as I wondered if I'd stay there long enough. The heat was absolutely unbearable and I saw people leaving early; a real test. But the kitty looked phenomenal au plein soleil (prob 108 deg in the sun).

The unusual heat (yet, only a few miles from the ocean) was also a good test for the sometimes questionable XJS air cond efficiency. Upon leaving, I put the top up for the drive back and it cooled down real good at easily over 100 degrees ambient. My '94 was the first year for the new R-134 refrigerant and I know of many cars' that suffered from inefficient cooling that first year with R-134 that couldn't emulate the previous R-12 performance. Now, I honestly wouldn't know what may happen should we add stop and go traffic on top of that kind of heat. But in that case, I'd drive the XJR instead with its super air conditioning.

Cheers,

Old 09-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros

Jon , if you do go to Bonneville salt flats, and stay for 3/5 days, after you get oriented to the layout, you gotta experience the early morning wake up time!

get to the race track BEFORE sunrise, bring coffee or what you please, and folding chair, go way down course, maybe 1 mile or so!

they dont allow engine start noise before 8 AM , so way down away from crowd , super quiet, almost unearthly, and sit and wait for the SUN to arise out of the white Salt horizon!

you will never forget the experience!!

Ron
Been wanting to build a car for it for YEARS...