XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Does anyone know what this is???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default Does anyone know what this is???

It's an electronic box of some sort located in the console just under the latch that latches the console cover... There is a plug that fits it amongst the bunch O wires. That's all good, but then I have 2 other wires and I don't which goes to which pole...

The two white covered wires.... Where on the box??? L R? How do I know. Maybe it doesn't matter???

Old 08-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,167 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
It's an electronic box of some sort located in the console just under the latch that latches the console cover... There is a plug that fits it amongst the bunch O wires. That's all good, but then I have 2 other wires and I don't which goes to which pole...

The two white covered wires.... Where on the box??? L R? How do I know. Maybe it doesn't matter???

The only mention l can see in that area is the radio relay.
What is the colour of those wires?

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Hi Jay

Do the Wires with the White Plastic Covers have the same Colour Coding on Both Wires, if so I'd be tempted to say that it doesn't matter but probably best to wait for Greg or Warrjon just to be sure

JayJagJay (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello JJJ

I can see why you asked the question - same colour wires on both in and out of the unit.

When I look at my electrical diagrams - item 301 is our Stop lamps failure sensor,

one goes to the hand brake switch (165) (GP) Green with purple stripe)
one goes to the stop lamp switch. (18) (BY) Black with yellow stripe

I then went out and had a look as I do not have the consul in yet, just to make sure my old photo's did not deceive my eyes - but both wires are green with white strips. So I am equally confused as you.

So - realize I am not much help, but at least it is not just your car

Cheers
Steve

Old 08-24-2019, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bez74
Hello JJJ

I can see why you asked the question - same colour wires on both in and out of the unit.

When I look at my electrical diagrams - item 301 is our Stop lamps failure sensor,

one goes to the hand brake switch (165) (GP) Green with purple stripe)
one goes to the stop lamp switch. (18) (BY) Black with yellow stripe

I then went out and had a look as I do not have the consul in yet, just to make sure my old photo's did not deceive my eyes - but both wires are green with white strips. So I am equally confused as you.

So - realize I am not much help, but at least it is not just your car

Cheers
Steve
Hmm. Thanks Steve. At least I know what it is now... I just drove the car,,, all of the wires to this box unplugged. I got no warning lights (they my not work at dash)... What year is yours?

I'm tempted to go and break open (screen) my diagrams too and see what I can learn... I am TERRRRIBLE with electrical stuff... Getting better though...

Thanks to all

Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 PM

Mine is a 1980. 10 years earlier than yours, and 10 years simpler in the electrical department. I am also in the same boat in regards to electrical world - but getting better.

When I first got it home - I drove it into the yard and started emptying the boot - then I could not start it again (lost my fuel pump). After swearing and cursing, I (or my wife) finally realized that the power cable from the battery (that you asked if it was a fuseable link in one of your previous posts) had disconnected. It was my welcome to the XJS world.

This morning - fuel tanks back in - new filters, new pump, turned her on - no fuel pump noise. That is today's challenge

Cheers
Steve

Greg in France (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:19 AM

Today's challenge sorted - inertia cut off switch was activated - prevented power getting to the relay.

I remember thinking this was a good anti theft device - stops and the thief's and the owner occasionally. But it has been many months since I last attempted to start her (poor excuse I know)

Cheers
Steve

Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bez74
Today's challenge sorted - inertia cut off switch was activated - prevented power getting to the relay.

I remember thinking this was a good anti theft device - stops and the thief's and the owner occasionally. But it has been many months since I last attempted to start her (poor excuse I know)

Cheers
Steve
We have all done it!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,413 Likes on 5,516 Posts

JJJ
If you have a brake lamp bulb fail, providing that unit under the console is working and connected properly, the brake light failure warning light will come on in the dashboard strip when you press the brake pedal. It is testable, by design as follows:
Ignition on
Apply handbrake
Press pedal,
Warning light should iulluminate.

Release hand brake, and press the pedal and the light should not illuminate if the bulbs are good.

Grant Francis (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
JJJ
If you have a brake lamp bulb fail, providing that unit under the console is working and connected properly, the brake light failure warning light will come on in the dashboard strip when you press the brake pedal. It is testable, by design as follows:
Ignition on
Apply handbrake
Press pedal,
Warning light should iulluminate.

Release hand brake, and press the pedal and the light should not illuminate if the bulbs are good.
Perfect. Thank you...

Thing is I have run her without it connected and I don't get a light... But that might be do to another (a problem that dumb *** me created) problem... In attempting to get the Speedo working I have changed the cluster 2twice. Then to further stupify the situation I mixed and matched some of the components, not knowing now which was the original. Go ahead 😅😆🤣😂😅.... I deserve it.

I have lights on in my dash. I guess I will have to figure this out, too...