XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Does anyone use an Extra Security Device?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts
Default Does anyone use an Extra Security Device?

If anyone is determined to try and Steal your Car, then there is probably no way you can Stop them.

The only thing that you can do is to try and deter them by giving them a few more Hoops to jump through.

Both my Cars are fitted with a Battery 'discarnect switch' in order to stop any leakages from running the Battery down.

Where in that respect I wouldn't be without it, as its one of the Best Products that I have ever bought.

Although I recently picked up a Bargain at my local Charity/Thrift Store.

Which was a 'Stop Lock Pro'

This device is Thatcham Approved and can retail for around £49 so I was feeling quite pleased with myself at picking this up for One Pound!

Which in itself was also a bit of a Steal (Lol)

In the World of Motoring, I guess you could call this 'Low Tech' as I've never recently seen one that was fitted to a Car.

But as I've got a Convertible, it seemed a good idea to put it on.

Now while I know you are supposed to thread this through the Wheel, it then leaves the Key Hole in a very exposed position for a Lock Picking device.

And so I hung it under the Wheel so the Lock is Close to the Seat and upside down.

Good idea or Bad?

Does anyone have suggestions for added Security.

Instead of threading this through the Wheel, I hung it upside down in order to make it more difficult for a Thief to pick the Lock.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-02-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

This a very good idea OB. The newest cars with keyless everything are SO easy to clone the signal to and drive away in, that the Met Police's official advice is to use an old fashioned physical lock such as yours.

Myself, I have a multi-layered approach, which I strongly recommend to all. Mine would have to be driven away on a low loader, unless the thief knew as much about my V12 as I do.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

It has been proven many times, that those locks are as easy ro remove as they are to install. Best lock you can get is basically:

NONE

Anyone who wants your car will take it. And if you make it harder to drive away in, then they'll be more likely to vandalise your car instead... Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Especially a soft top...

Old 07-02-2017, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
This a very good idea OB. The newest cars with keyless everything are SO easy to clone the signal to and drive away in, that the Met Police's official advice is to use an old fashioned physical lock such as yours.

Myself, I have a multi-layered approach, which I strongly recommend to all. Mine would have to be driven away on a low loader, unless the thief knew as much about my V12 as I do.
Greg
If you do it like I do, then I understand you

My V12 had a relay removed every time I drove it and parked it up somewhere... This relay is a rather important one to start the car with... *wink wink*

Old 07-02-2017, 04:12 AM
Received 10,518 Likes on 6,948 Posts

I am with Greg and Daim.

Down here, those locks are child's play, and I doubt they are even sold anymore.

I had like Greg, and Daim. Switches that did the opposite, and relay in pocket worked for me way back then.

They dont vandalise here, they simply torch them, even in your own driveway.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Agree. Up to now, the neighborhood in which I live has been quite crime free. Changes have taken place, big time.

1. Car torched, for no apparent reason. One of several within a few miles.
Torch nabbed. Great. Hoosegow bound.

2. A truck and a car stolen. Each recovered. Ignition switch in one "punched. The other, I don't knw.

3. More than one security camera caught guys stealing contents from in locked cars or cruising, checking doors.

4. At about 5 AM, today, Coco ands I out for stroll and "business". My first thiong of the day, other than putting on my pants. Strange car across the road. Two people in it. We went about our purpose, but, I did not turn my back to them. They drove away. What would I do? Well, my "weapons" were in the house, but my cell was in my pocket.

5. I like the "pull a relay" thing.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (07-02-2017), orangeblossom (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Greg
Nice one Greg

The mind Boggles at what you've come up with,

Old 07-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
It has been proven many times, that those locks are as easy ro remove as they are to install. Best lock you can get is basically:

NONE

Anyone who wants your car will take it. And if you make it harder to drive away in, then they'll be more likely to vandalise your car instead... Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Especially a soft top...
Hi Daim

This lock is Thatcham approved, so you would need to cut through the Steering Wheel in two places.

Which I think is going to attract a bit of attention.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Which relay is it? you can PM me if you like.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

This a very good idea OB. The newest cars with keyless everything are SO easy to clone the signal to and drive away in,
I've kind of wondered about that and why they've gotten away from using an actual "key". I mean the margin of "convenience" of push button start is inconsequential and now some of the fobs are so HUGE that I'd hate to have one in my pocket. I mean some of these remotes are as big as a cell phone. I've always owned multiple cars and when it gets to the point that I've got to have a fist-sized remote for every one of my cars, I guess I'll have to carry a "man purse". But rant over, key's already had a computer chip but at least the key provided a bit of mechanical locking to overcome in addition and like has been said, its the level of effort needed that is the best deterrent. Thieves do what they do because they are too lazy to "work" for the same rate of return. If it looks like "work" then they won't bother.

orangeblossom (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Phil
/rant on: All this keyless rubbish is done for (a) cost reasons and (b) advertising reasons. Most sadly, advertisers have somehow made it desirable for everything to be controlled electronically. In the UK the latest idiot gadget peddlars are trying to convince people that they need to switch on their lights and alter their central heat and fridge settings remotely. Pathetic in my view, and indicative of a civilisation in decline. /rant off

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (07-03-2017), orangeblossom (07-03-2017)