XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

does your jaguar run fast enough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarlover
how come this xjs so expensive? mine has 35000 miles and it only cost me 6000,i dont understand
He put a supercharged engine from an XJR in the car and a different transmission. He is trying to get a premium for the uniqueness of the car. Not sure he will, he has already dropped the price by about 3k

Old 07-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

thoes things never bring in money. I have a friend who builds.custom cars and he did a camaro Rhd conversion ls427 4links and.the works. sold the first one.for 60k and couldn't give away the second and.they were identical quality.

stuff only worth what.someone will pay for it

Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
He put a supercharged engine from an XJR in the car and a different transmission. He is trying to get a premium for the uniqueness of the car. Not sure he will, he has already dropped the price by about 3k
I still prefer my xjs, if I had 17K in hand I would buy a 70s Lincoln Mark or a Chevelle SS but not a Jaguar, it is not worth it for me

Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

hi everyone, it's me jaguar lover, currently own a 95 xjs 4.0L
have owned it for almost 3 month,

but now I'm beginning to feel this car can't run really fast like it should,
4.0L 237 horsepower, but every time I can only see those Japanese outrun me, it doesn't accelerate really fast, have to push gas really hard to catch the car front of mine.
it is the only xjs I have owned, so I have no idea what a XJS should be able to do.
guys share your experiences here, how does your jaguar perform?
When I first bought my '94 XJS, I felt the same way you feel. I couldn't understand how did the engineers manage to extract only 219 HP from a 4.0L engine, and this felt even worse when I bought another 4.0L Jag that could put out 290 HP from the same displacement, my first XJ8. But, I also agree with most of the other comments here in that the XJS is, indeed, mainly a very elegant and freeway comfortable gran tourer.

However, it is not impossible to get a more modern level of acceleration and to start showing those econo boxes, vans and VW buses who they're messing with. My XJS does 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, just like my XJR, so it beats much better opposition than a VW bus... If you may be interested, you can get a general idea from pics and comments in my XJS Garage here at the Pics Gallery. Making your XJS faster does not mean that you're tarnishing its gran tourer image; to the contrary, you're enhancing it. The wow's from the looks simply get duplicated with the wow's from what it can do. Again, have your cake and eat it, too.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

how come this xjs so expensive? mine has 35000 miles and it only cost me 6000,i dont understand
He's delusional. It's like when people put mahogany counters and marble countertops in their house and suddenly want to sell it for 25% more than any comp in the area. Things don't work that way for either houses or cars unless you are going to sit praying until the right buyer comes along which may never happen.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 07-22-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,887 Likes on 7,157 Posts

I still prefer my xjs, if I had 17K in hand I would buy a 70s Lincoln Mark or a Chevelle SS but not a Jaguar, it is not worth it for me

As a lifelong fan and previous owner of American luxury cars (a couple) and American musclecars (several) I hear ya.

Dollar for dollar, though, you're getting much more car for your money with a nice used Jaguar. Plus you're getting something with decent steering, brakes, and suspension....something severly lacking with the old musclecars and those wonderful old land yachts.

Since you want strong acceleration you can modify your Jag or go out and buy one that has the level of performance that you want. An XJR or XKR might be a good choice for you.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
My XJS does 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, just like my XJR
What mods did you do to make your XJS run a 5.2 second 0-60?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
As a lifelong fan and previous owner of American luxury cars (a couple) and American musclecars (several) I hear ya.

Dollar for dollar, though, you're getting much more car for your money with a nice used Jaguar. Plus you're getting something with decent steering, brakes, and suspension....something severly lacking with the old musclecars and those wonderful old land yachts.

Since you want strong acceleration you can modify your Jag or go out and buy one that has the level of performance that you want. An XJR or XKR might be a good choice for you.

Cheers
DD
before I bought this XJS, I was looking for a old classic for my first car, a 60s muscle like a buick, chevy, cadillac or a lincoln, but as I getting more information about those classics, I sadly know that even if I found a nice muscle but I will not be able to take care it and can't afford the gas. So I decided to buy a XJS for my first one. but swear to god I will never give up to
pursue those classic muscle I love, only two things I need are money and experiences

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
What mods did you do to make your XJS run a 5.2 second 0-60?
Other than a redesigned air intake, free flowing mid silencers and rear mufflers (straight through, no baffling), ported and polished head and re-programmed ECU (chip), I have a digital progressive controlled nitrous injection system from the UK.

You can see some of it here in my garage pics. There is a far more detailed and in depth writing on my XJS page in the CarDomain Website. Just select Jaguar/XJ and my XJS is about third at the top of the Jaguar popularity listing. Once in the page, just scroll down to the pertinent area.

Cheers

Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do you have a kickdown switch???

Hello!

When I first got my '93 I thought it a bit of a slug. I replaced plugs and EGR and it got a little smoother, but no faster. And THEN, I discovered the kick-down switch! There is a round disk under the toe of the accelerator pedal. You can look under the pedal to see if yours has it. Depress the pedal all the way and then press a little harder with your toes. You should hear a click and take off much faster.

This discovery put a BIG smile on my face!

I'm only worried I'll wear the switch out now!

Last edited by DenverDRS; 07-26-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM

I have several XJS models and they are wonderful luxury sports cars. Smooth power and elegance no other car can match. I can't run the 1/4 mile with any sports car but the top end is awesome and so smooth. I do have an 87 XJS that I race. It's a 12 cyl and it's terrifying to drive but such a thrill on the track. With just the engine and a stripped out interior the car only weighs about 2,200 lbs fully fueled. It's an absolute rocket but it's not designed for super acceleration. It is an amazing momentum car on the track and handles very well. At 120 MPH and above it keeps right up with the BMW's, Porches, Vettes and Cobras but not with a Mustang on a drag strip. Perhaps when I drop the five speed in it this winter it will be quicker but that's not what it's really intended for. It holds its speed and comes alive at 100MPH. I would be scared in a tricked out Subaru at 170 MPH but not in the old Cat.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by knlltd
I have several XJS models and they are wonderful luxury sports cars. Smooth power and elegance no other car can match. I can't run the 1/4 mile with any sports car but the top end is awesome and so smooth. I do have an 87 XJS that I race. It's a 12 cyl and it's terrifying to drive but such a thrill on the track. With just the engine and a stripped out interior the car only weighs about 2,200 lbs fully fueled. It's an absolute rocket but it's not designed for super acceleration. It is an amazing momentum car on the track and handles very well. At 120 MPH and above it keeps right up with the BMW's, Porches, Vettes and Cobras but not with a Mustang on a drag strip. Perhaps when I drop the five speed in it this winter it will be quicker but that's not what it's really intended for. It holds its speed and comes alive at 100MPH. I would be scared in a tricked out Subaru at 170 MPH but not in the old Cat.
Thanks, but I ve never driven over 100 MPH, I will have a ticket if a police officer got me, how is that possible in the highway?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Quote;
If Jaguar made an airplane, would you fly it?

That would depend on who the mechanic is.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks, but I ve never driven over 100 MPH, I will have a ticket if a police officer got me, how is that possible in the highway?
Agreed... sort of. Most street "battles" are won and lost before hitting 100mph. If you're doing serious street racing today and going over 100mph, you better have upwards of 700 wheel hp. 500 hp is the new 300 hp - it's not hard to get 500 on a modern performance car, and a select few cars even come with it from the factory. Any of today's +100 mph cars will put bus lengths on an XJS before the driver knows what happened. If you don't believe me, check out some of the street race videos on youTube. There are some seriously fast +100mph street cars out there. They're impressive!

0-60 is a popular measure because it approximates how fast you can get to the speed limit in many areas. It presumes most people don't want to go to far over the speed limit for fear of getting a ticket, losing their license, etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Sorry, going 0 to 60 MPH R-E-A-L quick will net you a ticket too in short order even if 60 MPH is the speed limit...it's called a "careless driving" ticket. Ask me how I know

Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Sorry, going 0 to 60 MPH R-E-A-L quick will net you a ticket too in short order even if 60 MPH is the speed limit...it's called a "careless driving" ticket. Ask me how I know
No need to apologize! Those tickets are easy to avoid: Don't stomp on the gas in line-sight of a police officer. Look around first! Otherwise, you might was well go up and ask him to write you a ticket!

Anyway, staying under the speed limit will dramatically reduce your chances of getting a ticket. Pretty sure that's common knowledge!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 AM

guys, the trick is find a long strait road, then circle ariund for a while and check for cops and then you can set up and do your "test"

Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 AM

it's also called a excessive display if power ticket in new york. it's worth hanging on your wall

Old 08-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

In NZ we have anti-boyracer legislation.
One of the charges the cops can use is 'sustained loss of traction'. I love that label.
I do not have that problem with an X300 3.2 sporting 245/45x18 tyres! too much grip by far.

In the late 90s a friend of mine with a 400bhp Cobra replica did a burnout from a green light in a 30 mph area. He hadn't seen the cop parked 400m up the road. When asked why he had done that he answered "Cause I can" !!
He got away with it, because the 'loss of traction' hadn't come in then (although it could be deemed dangerous). He left a large white cloud of Goodrich rubber in the air, but didn't break the speed limit, so the copper let him off..
Ahh, the 20th Century, wasn't it great?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM

One of our race team members is in law enforcement but the extreme speeds are strictly on the track. Sorry to have not explained that before. Sanctioned racing on a track has really slowed me down on the highway. The things that can happen at speed on a track are very dangerous.. On the road, it is suicide. Just my opinion. Plus... there is no other car in the world that looks so nice just cruising under control down the highway. Sorry to have given the wrong impression.

Quick Reply: does your jaguar run fast enough?