XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door Actuator Clicking SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,216 Posts
Default Door Actuator Clicking SOLVED!!!

I've started several previous threads discussing my downward spiral of a failing door lock actuator. I have found the solution!

So I did all sorts of electrical testing, connector swapping, short circuiting and finally I plugged in the two actuators I had into the working drivers side harness and they both still didn't work. I actually bought a used failed unit!

For some crazy reason I started actuating the locks and squeezing the housing. I found that if I applied pressure to the actuator housing, it worked! No excessive clicking. It also needed to be connected to the linkage so that it would know when it had traveled it's required distance. If the linkage wasn't attached, it would keep actuating up and down.

In the end, I wrapped it tight with some nylon zip ties and it seems to have done the trick, although I need to find a better solution than that.

There is something about the actuator's plastic shell that come undone and allows that actuator to keep clicking after it's done it's job. For now, zip ties, but I feel that I will need some kind of ratcheting belt to go around it it really keep it tight.

Can someone explain what is happening to this thing?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,050 Posts

Vee,

Well done for finding the problem! It just goes to show that we shouldn't take anything for granted! I assumed that you had bought a new unit so didn't even think to suggest that you might have a faulty replacement unit!

Looking forward to you taking one of them apart to understand what's happening in there!

Paul

Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,365 Likes on 5,489 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
I
In the end, I wrapped it tight with some nylon zip ties and it seems to have done the trick, although I need to find a better solution than that.

There is something about the actuator's plastic shell that come undone and allows that actuator to keep clicking after it's done it's job. For now, zip ties, but I feel that I will need some kind of ratcheting belt to go around it it really keep it tight.

Can someone explain what is happening to this thing?
There is a solenoid inside, obviously, and I reckon it has an "activated" position that, once achieved prevents it trying to actuate again, or a small microswitch doing that job. If the plastic shell (in effect the chassis holding the solenoid) has started to give a bit, or even worn a bit, so the solenoid is a bit loose, or the microswitch a bit loose or not quite making reliable contact as a result of the action of the solenoid over the years, I bet the "actuated" position is no longer reliable, so it tries again. And again, etc etc.

Your cable ties have made the thing solid again. probably MORE solid that when new! So it is probably a very decent repair, in reality.

Greg