XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door chrome help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022 | 08:58 PM
|
Default Door chrome help

I’m stripping my XJS for paint prep and have most of the chrome removed, but the chrome strip at the base of the main windows would appear to be riveted in place (though I did see a post where someone said it was held in by screws, but that doesn’t appear to be the case on mine).

Any tips on getting this off? Thanks

Old 07-11-2022 | 02:38 PM

All the XJS doors I've worked on were riveted.
The rivets need to be drilled out to remove the chrome strip.
When I worked on mine I bought a few of the Jaguar Pop rivet kits.
They are not standard, they have extra long grip wires, and you can't use the standard tool to insert them.
You can use a standard tool if you use a ferule spacer to keep the tool away from the door.
I have one kit with the ferule left if anyone wants it.

Old 07-11-2022 | 02:54 PM
|

Thanks - can the rubber window seal adjacent to the chrome strip be separated from the chrome so I can easily access the rivets? (Without destroying the rubber of course)

Old 07-11-2022 | 03:01 PM

In a word, yes.
On all the ones I've worked on, one end is open so the rubber can slide out.
You might want the spray some Windex or soapy solution to dissolve any crud.

The following users liked this post:
MrAndersonGCC (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022 | 03:23 PM
|

Originally Posted by equiprx
In a word, yes.
On all the ones I've worked on, one end is open so the rubber can slide out.
You might want the spray some Windex or soapy solution to dissolve any crud.
Great, thanks for the tip.

Old 07-11-2022 | 10:41 PM
|

It’s looking very doubtful that I’ll be able to get the rubber weatherstrip off in decent shape. The old ones are a little brittle.

Is there a specific one for the XJS or can I try to use something generic? Frankly I’m not even sure what the common term is for these.

Old 07-12-2022 | 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MrAndersonGCC
It’s looking very doubtful that I’ll be able to get the rubber weatherstrip off in decent shape. The old ones are a little brittle.

Is there a specific one for the XJS or can I try to use something generic? Frankly I’m not even sure what the common term is for these.
if you really get into a jam (no pun I promise) I may be able to find a link...the strips can be had for cheap and while I'm sure you don't need (or want) another "while your in there" added to the list, all four would be certainly worth replacing since you're in this deep. Yes, I doubt you will be able to get them out in one piece. They can git pretty brittle.

The following users liked this post:
MrAndersonGCC (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022 | 02:55 PM
|

Ok I just cut off the rubber piece on the driver's side...no chance it was coming willingly and intact anyways. Before I start drilling out the rivets, I have two questions:

1) How do I access the rivets on the section of the chrome strip that extends down to the quarter window (that's what I call it...the trapezoidal piece of glass in front of the main window)? I see a "ledge" there with 3 screws; I removed them but the ledge doesn't really want to budge.

2) As for reinstallment of the chrome - I suppose I could just use small screws instead of rivets, right? Certainly there's a short enough screw with the right thread pattern to fit in the rivet holes.

Old 07-12-2022 | 03:32 PM

2) As for reinstallment of the chrome - I suppose I could just use small screws instead of rivets, right? Certainly there's a short enough screw with the right thread pattern to fit in the rivet holes.[/QUOTE]

My advice would be to NOT use screws to attach the chrome strips.
Since the existing holes are the same size, you would need to open the holes in the chrome strip to accept whatever fastener you use.
The metal would probably buckle from the drill and the head of the fastener would interfere with the rubber strip.
Pop rivets were used for a reason.

Old 07-12-2022 | 03:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by equiprx
2) As for reinstallment of the chrome - I suppose I could just use small screws instead of rivets, right? Certainly there's a short enough screw with the right thread pattern to fit in the rivet holes.
My advice would be to NOT use screws to attach the chrome strips.
Since the existing holes are the same size, you would need to open the holes in the chrome strip to accept whatever fastener you use.
The metal would probably buckle from the drill and the head of the fastener would interfere with the rubber strip.
Pop rivets were used for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm confused about a couple things you mentioned:

"Since the existing holes are the same size..." --> I assume you're referring to the hole in the chrome and the body's metal - in which case, what's the significance here? If I can find a screw small enough to fit the existing holes, I'm not sure what the problem is with sizing or why anything would buckle.

In regards to the screw head, the head of the pop rivets are very similarly shaped to your typical small body screw - nearly semi-spherical in nature. Finding a screw with an equally shallow head would be a piece of cake.

Old 07-12-2022 | 04:02 PM

If you use a screw that fits into both the chrome strip and the body, what will hold the screw.
You can't get a nut in the space between the lip and the panel.
That's why Jaguar used blind rivets.
Jaguar pop rivets have a very thin head, about 1/3 the depth of any standard fastener.

Old 07-14-2022 | 01:58 PM
|

OK guys, I’m fixing to lose my mind with this silly quarter door window. I’ve done everything that the manual prescribes. Take a look at the video below and please let me know if I’m missing anything. Thanks

Old 07-15-2022 | 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

I could use some more information on the rubber straps. ie where to source some and part numbers please

Old 07-15-2022 | 09:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by brinny
I could use some more information on the rubber straps. ie where to source some and part numbers please
In this thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rching-240435/), post #14, the poster lists this product as fitting: https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1487-large-universal-window-channel

Btw - I did manage to get the so-called "quarterlight" glass structure removed - there was quite a bit of sealant that prevented it from budging...a heat gun is recommended here, my friends.

The silly chrome pieces have been removed. I am debating the best method of reinstallation. Even after removing the rivets and screws, it did not come without a fight. I certainly applied FAR more force than a window rolling up ever would, so I may try to just use sealant to reattach. Messier, but much much easier to remove if I ever have to again. God I hate rivets.