XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Lock Issue

I just bought my 96 XJS a week ago. The car is a dream overall but of course there are a few issues. One that I'd like to ask for advice on is the power door lock system. Here are the symptoms.

When using the remote control locking system (on the key fob) with the doors open, when I press the control the doors lock and then immediately unlock.

When I lock the driver's door with the key, I get the same behavior. I turn the key to lock and both doors immediately unlock again. When sitting in the car if I lock the driver's side door from the inside, both doors immediately unlock.

On the passenger side, when I lock the door (whether with the key or from inside the car), the door stays locked.

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what is causing this problem?

Thanks! I'm thrilled to be a Jaguar owner.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 665 Likes on 573 Posts

First, as always, ensure your battery is fully charged. I would suspect- from your symptoms- that you may have a faulty or sticky door switch.

A relatively simple procedure to strip down, check with a meter, clean or replace said switch.

See how you go with that before you get bogged down in the electronic side of things.

Hope this helps,

Old 11-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Firstly welcome to Jaguar XJS ownership. They are wonderful touring cars.

You have a bind somewhere in the passenger door mechanism. You will need to remove the door card and lubricate the locking mechanism. I had this problem with mine and after I lubed with WD40 (not the best) but it worked my doors now lock correctly.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks warrjon and jimbov8 for your replies. I will try taking the door apart and see what's there. I guess I should start with the driver's side door, right?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

I would start with the passenger door, lubricate the mechanism and then check for correct operation. My guess is this will fix the problem.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:19 AM

OK, I will start on the passenger door side. Thank you!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 302 Posts

All good advice but before you start taking the doors apart, try operating the driver's and passenger door locks manually from inside the car by pushing the locking tab. Do it a few dozen times making sure that the lock tab extends all the way forward and rearward.

Often if these cars have been sitting for a while, they get stuck. So what happens is the door lock on one side locks but the other side the tab does not quite go all the way forward and the control system then unlocks the doors. Sometimes just operating them manually frees them up. If not then dig in to the doors and start lubricating

Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Thanks AllanG. I gave that a try per your instructions but no dice. It was worth a try though. Looks like the door panel will be coming off. Any tips on how to get the passenger door panel off?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

It sounds like what happens to my car when I try to lock the door when one of the doors (or trunk) is unlocked.

Before you start tearing into the doors, I would suggest checking to make sure the car knows that all three doors are closed. The fact that they lock and then unlock mean that the parts are working.

1. Do you have a working trunk light? (I'm assuming the bulb would have blown out by now if it was on all the time.)
2. Do your sunvisor lights come on when the doors open? Again, it would be obvious if they stayed on all the time)

I don't think this is necessarily a stuck lock part. Something is making the car think the doors are not closed.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
I don't think this is necessarily a stuck lock part. Something is making the car think the doors are not closed.
This could the case if the doors locked then unlocked when locking the passenger door. Locking the passenger door has the car locking correctly so it unlikely that the car thinks something is open.

Last edited by warrjon; 11-25-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Yes warrjon, I missed that part.

The fact that it IS locking, to me means something else is going on. I don't think a stuck part would allow the passengers side lock to lock down the car. If there's a bad/stuck part, then no one should be able to lock the doors. Especially given that the remote can't lock it either!

Might be a bad central door lock relay. (DAC4862)

Old 11-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Yes, on further study and experimentation, Warrjon has it diagnosed right. The passenger side actuator doesn't work, so when you lock from the driver's side with the key or by the remote fob, the system locks the driver's door, but immediately unlocks it because the passenger's side doesn't lock. (I guess this is a feature built into the automatic locking system.) I confirmed this behavior by sitting on the passenger's side and manually closing the interior door lock at the same time as I locked the doors with the remote fob. When I flip the door lock switch for the passenger's side door at the same time as I click the remote locking fob, the driver's side door stays locked. I still haven't had a chance to get the door panel off but should get to it over Thanksgiving. I purchased a scrap actuator just in case so I should be ready of that's the culprit. I will try lubricating everything first though.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

My car was doing this and after lubricating the passenger lock mechanism fixed the problem. I think what happens is the door does not completely lock and the control unit then unlocks the doors.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody has said how to take to door panels off!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 387 Posts
Smile

Big hammer .......... lol

Old 12-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Door panels are easy. They are held on by clips, just gently pry them off. There is one screw. It is located under the cowling at the front of the armrest. just kind of twist it down the armrest, and you will see the screw. After you have pried all the clips off, gently lift up to clear the top over the window well. Thats it.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tenagarlick
Nobody has said how to take to door panels off!
Depends if pre or post Facelift.

For pre-facelift

1 - Slide the chrome collar slightly back where the door handle fixes to the door. Push it from the front so it moves back towards the rear of the door, this will expose the screw. Undo the screw.

2 - There are 2 more screws under the map pocket, and 2 that hold the light striker.

3 - Use plastic trim removal tool (or screwdriver) gently pry the plastic clips from the door.

4 - The door panel lifts slightly then pops right off.

Drivers door - Remove the screws from the mirror controls and slide them out. If you push on the joysticks they will slide out of the chrome trim. BE CAREFUL not to lose the round shims.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't unlock with key

After our rainy week the car could not be unlocked with key in either door. AAA used the slim jim and we got home. I was able to get it to lock and unlock with key but it is very difficult, stiff and hard to turn key? So, I will try dry lube first through key hole. If that does not work - off with the door panel to get to the mechanism.
We bought our 1996 XJS from a used car dealer and did not get a remote fob. Do I have to go to the dealer to get one?

Old 12-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pat_opsahl
After our rainy week the car could not be unlocked with key in either door. AAA used the slim jim and we got home. I was able to get it to lock and unlock with key but it is very difficult, stiff and hard to turn key? So, I will try dry lube first through key hole. If that does not work - off with the door panel to get to the mechanism.
We bought our 1996 XJS from a used car dealer and did not get a remote fob. Do I have to go to the dealer to get one?
pat_opsahl,
You should start a new thread with your problem. You can buy a fob online (like from ebay). On my car you need to remove the center console to program a new remote. I have no idea how you should program a remote on your car as you did not say what year/model you have. You should add this information to your signature. Do you think that the door motor is preventing you from using your key to unlock the doors? If yes, you can try removing the fuse to the door locks and see if the key works as this will be a good starting point.
Good luck,
Jomo

Old 12-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
All good advice but before you start taking the doors apart, try operating the driver's and passenger door locks manually from inside the car by pushing the locking tab. Do it a few dozen times making sure that the lock tab extends all the way forward and rearward.

Often if these cars have been sitting for a while, they get stuck. So what happens is the door lock on one side locks but the other side the tab does not quite go all the way forward and the control system then unlocks the doors. Sometimes just operating them manually frees them up. If not then dig in to the doors and start lubricating

Yeah this mine was basically sitting for the last 12 years... sometimes they stick other times ( mostly ) they don't. When they get stuck and it won't lock I can usually manually flip the passengers side lock three or four times and it fixes itself.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Issue