XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door lock/unlock wiring help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 06:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door lock/unlock wiring help please

I've read a few articles and I'm left somewhat confused. I'm trying to figure out (in real simple terms) how to get the lock and unlock feature of a new aftermarket car alarm to work. I have everything else working on the alarm system but I just can't get the doors to lock and unlock with the system.

First to clarify, I have a 1984 XJS. Its the type where the key in either door will lock and unlock both doors and the the paddle switches inside by the door handles will also lock and unlock both doors when moved. The is not a lock controller on the ski slope. There is an unlock relay in the left hand (driver's side) side down in the kick panel and a lock relay in the right hand passenger side's kick panel. These control the solenoids that are in the doors.

Now for the wiring...The alarm has a green and blue wire harness that is for controlling the door lock/unlock functions. It says that the green wire should be connected to a wire that pulses ground to activate the vehicle lock relay or to a wire that pulses (+) 12V to activate the vehicle unlock relay. I have this green wire connected to the orange/red wire on the unlock relay in the driver's side kick panel.

The blue wire says that it should be connected to a wire that pulses (-) ground to activate the vehicle unlock relay or to a wire that pulses (+) to activate the vehicle lock relay. I have this blue wire connected to the orange/red wire of the passenger side's lock relay in the kick panel.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I'm wondering if the signal going out from the brain is too weak to power the relays? Should I try hooking up relays to send a stronger 12 volt signal to the vehicle's lock/unlock relays or to the solenoids themselves? Its getting frustrating. I'd appreciate any clear, simple help I can get. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2022, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

The unlock wire needs to be connected to the Orange/Blue wire of the unlock relay. The lock wire needs to be connected to the Orange/White wire of the lock relay. The wires from your remote box should provide +12v to those wires when the respective lock or unlock signals are sent. The way you have it wired, you are trying to drive the solenoids directly. It won't work like that. The remote receiver can't provide enough power.I've set up an 85 and an 87 XJS like that. Works great.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

HI losfinch,

Have you confirmed that the blue and green wires on your unit are giving a 12 volt pulse? On my RHD 87, the lock relay is in the RH kick panel area (should be the same for LHD). A 12v pulse to the orange/green wire should lock both doors. The unlock relay is in the LH kick panel area. A 12v pulse to the orange/red wire should unlock both doors.

Cheers, Ian.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:15 PM

I'll try this in the morning but I'm pretty sure you hit it.

Also, in my description of the problem I even mixed up my colors but you still cleared it up. I had meant to say that I had the alarm's green wire connected to the unlock relay's orange/green wire (not to the orange/red wire).

Last edited by losfinch; 02-17-2022 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:21 PM

I've tried to check the voltage coming out of the alarm brain but the pulse is so faint I can only guess that it is working properly.

If I run a heavier wire directly from the terminal posts of the motor compartment to the orange/green and orange/red wires on the relays the door locks will respond. They will not respond to the alarm's green and blue wires when connected to those wires. Studying the wiring diagrams I have I think that Jal1234 probably has my solution in that I need to connect the green and blue wires to the relay's trigger wires (orange/white and orange/blue). I'll have a go at it in the morning and report back.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:17 PM

Unfortunately, I still can't get things to work properly. Here's what I've done so far:
1) I've Connected the alarm's green unlock 12 volt positive pulse wire to the orange/blue wire of the unlock relay (LH side kick panel)
2) I've Connected the alarm's blue lock 12 volt positive wire to the orange/white wire of the lock relay (RH side kick panel)
3). If I momentarily touch a wire from a positive 12 volt source directly to the WR post of the unlock relay (where the orange/blue would normally be connected) the doors will unlock.
4) If I momentarily touch a wire from a positive 12 volt source directly to the WR post of the lock relay (where the orange/white wire would normally be connected) the doors will lock.
5) All of the other functions of the alarm system work properly.
6) I've hooked up 5 pin Bosch style relays to the lock and unlock relays and can get them to work if I trigger the 5 pin relays directly to 12 volts positive but the relays will not work if I connect their trigger wires to the alarm's green and blue wires.

Conclusion:
It looks as though the alarm brain is not sending a signal through either the green (unlock) or blue (lock) wires since they will not trigger a simple relay let alone the vehicles door relays. Seems crazy since both the original brain and an extra (new) brain I purchased are doing the same thing...everything else works properly except for the door lock/unlock signals. I'm not sure what to do except maybe try another brand of alarm. The alarm is a Viper (Directed) 3305V. Any suggestions on something more reliable? Since I am not an authorized installer Viper will not warranty their product.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

I didn't use an alarm system, just a simple remote door lock system. If you don't see 12v at the signal wires, obviously something is wrong with the system.​​​​​​​Double check the instructions you got with the system. Maybe something is hooked up incorrectly. Or maybe it has to confirm somehow that the doors are shut before it will send a lock signal?

Old 02-19-2022, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by jal1234
The unlock wire needs to be connected to the Orange/Blue wire of the unlock relay. The lock wire needs to be connected to the Orange/White wire of the lock relay. The wires from your remote box should provide +12v to those wires when the respective lock or unlock signals are sent. The way you have it wired, you are trying to drive the solenoids directly. It won't work like that. The remote receiver can't provide enough power.I've set up an 85 and an 87 XJS like that. Works great.
When you did this did you run the wires directly from the alarm brains or did you run them to relays which then connected to the vehicles lock/unlock relays. I know that would be double relays but I'm wondering if the signals coming out of the alarm brain are strong enough to trigger the car relays?