XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door Mirror post seized, any tips on freeing it up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 04:22 AM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

I just looked into my mirrors yesterday and I tried folding them and they both did! My passenger side still had wobble so I pulled it out and loaded it up with wd40 and tried hitting the spring a little with a screwdriver, that was pointless, and put it back in the door. I did it back and forth a couple of times then all of a sudden it went from more wobblly to rock solid! I guess it just needed some lube!

The following 2 users liked this post by Timeisrelative:
lambo911 (11-07-2019), ptjs1 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Dukejag,

If you had the dash-mounted mirror controls, then you absolutely have to remove the door card. But because you have the door-mounted controls, you might be able to just remove that control plinth and disconnect the plugs there. If you do need to remove the door card, it's pretty easy. You remove the corner chrome panel, slide back the small shroud at the end of the armrest (it has a metal inner so put a bit of petroleum jelly on the armrest end before sliding back the shroud to protect the leather), remove that screw, find all the clips around the door card and use a suitable tool to dislocate them from the door frame, the lift up the door card to as it has two locating metal bars (well, facelift cars have this anyway). Carefully remove door speaker wires and puddle lights and you're there.

It's difficult to see from the pics but it seems that you might have had some real luck if just the washer broke off rather than the shaft shearing apart. So perhaps, you'll be able to fix it. As you probably realise, starlock washers are readily available. You also seem to have the remnants of a rubber washer between the mirror body and mount? Or is that a previous owner silicon seal bodge? I don't remember a washer on my mirrors?

Some late cars have a strengthening plate under the mirror mount and also a rubber grommet for the hole into the door. There was a changepoint somewhere, so you might want to fit those parts if they are not there.

Good luck with the repair! Let us know how you get on.

Paul

Old 11-07-2019, 02:39 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

I am loving this thread, true..LOL.... if it was not for Lambo911 -posting your thread, add Paul and holly **** the mirrors fold in.. I would not be here.. LOL. haa
So know thanks to Paul my perfectly good NON folding mirror folded and went PING / Boom / Smash (Batman) or more likely retired with a arthritic uuuuu cruch sound and fell apart. Thanks Paul!
My perfectly working mirror is now toast.. where do you live?

Gather the hanging parts, open a beer and retreat to my work bench after informing the wife... NO XJS outings any time soon, Paul made me break OUR mirror!
4th beer and not wanting to touch the other mirror which folded in just fine. After all its just a matter of time before PING/ Boom ....!

OK lets get the repair job on the road, nothing like fixing stuff when drinking.. thanks Grant!

The correct tool to remove the plugs...

Looking better!

Plan is to remove the other side and fix the wobbly glass at the same time.
Update soon.

OH to add - this mirror used ball bearings for location.. I am guessing 4mm.
Paul where did you get the rubber grommet? like your mine had none.

Last edited by Dukejag; 11-07-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

Dukejag,

I've always been very happy giving suggestions when I'm 4000 miles away from most Forum members!

I know you might feel a bit peeved that the mirror let go but I can not tell you how lucky you are that the washer let go rather than the mirror break! I've never seen that happen before.

As you can see from your pics, you can now appreciate the 3 cutout positions. Your earlier mirror uses a different cutout approach so maybe the rear one can be engaged when folding backwards? Do let us know.

The grommets only seem to have been fitted to late facelift cars, and even then they often seem to be missing. I got mine from Jaguar but they are not available now. See here:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...rand/jaguar/It wou;dn

It wouldn't be too difficult to find something similar and could provide some added protection for water ingress into the door.

I'm looking forward to seeing if you can find a simpler way of re-engaging the washer. Do be careful and wrap up the mirror body carefully. It's such an awkward shape to hold when you need considerable force to engage that starlock washer.

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
Dukejag (11-07-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 PM

All done, I have fixed both mirrors.
The passenger mirror the glass was loose and the inner plastic backing wobble loose. The mirror was useless and that annoyed me some what.
After my little mirror folding issue the drivers side was hanging all loose. Now I have two perfectly folding and functioning mirror.

Yea!!
So thanks to Paul for your help!

Here is my solution to compressing the spring, worked perfectly, but you must remove the plugs, which is easy with the right tool.

I had to weld a piece of angle / or flat to extend the jaw, i will grind it off today. A couple of tube sockets and bingo.

Oh yes I found some ball bearings to help with the location when turned, added some grease and it works well.

Both mirror have been well lubricated and sprayed to prevent rust. Good to go a few more years

The following users liked this post:
ptjs1 (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Dukejag,

Well done! I like the spring compression rig!

Now that you understand the mirror and the 3 cutouts positions, can you confirm if turning a pre-facelift mirror backwards means it can engage the rearward cutout before it hits the door glass?

Cheers

Paul

Old 11-11-2019, 02:15 AM

Paul I would say yes... But my mirror folded in nicely but I folded it outward and ping... the lock washer came off again.
So a new one is needed. The only issue is the star lock washer is 25mm OD and 10mm ID.
The only ones I can find are 20mm OD and 10mm ID. Might have to grind out the middle of the old one as a spacer then put the new one on.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

Dukejag,

25mm starlock washers seem to be readily available on ebay on your side of the pond. Let us know how you get on, now you've got the knack of pressing on that washer. Make sure it's fully seated in the groove.
Maybe sand down and relube the shaft and collar to make sure they don't put unnecessary load on the spring when turning.

When you do get it sorted again, it would be great to know if it does fully engage in the cutout when folding back.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Hi Paul - I can not find a starlock washer 25mm OD that fits a 10mm shaft.
They are all 20mm OD for 10mm shaft.

The ones that are 25mm OD are all for a 12mm shaft.

if you find a link that would be great - thanks

Old 11-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Dukejag,

Is the 10mm shaft measurement of the mirror equal to the max shaft or the grooved recess? It feels that if all commercially-available 25mm outside diameter starlocks are designated as "12mm shaft" then perhaps that is Jaguar used?

I think it would be worth the few cents to buy a few off ebay and do some measurements and trials compared to the original. Running two washers as an alternative, seems like it will load the spring more and if your shaft is slightly worn anyway, then it might not be the right answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Cheers

Paul

Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Hi Paul the shaft is 10mm - the groove is 9.5mm approx.
I can use a smaller diamiter star washer which will reduce the surface area the spring turns on... might be ok.