XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Doug DeMuro reviews a prestine XJ-S V12

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
It's definitely great he finally reviewed the XJS, I agree. But his review definitely had an editorial stance planned from the beginning, and he wasn't going to deviate. That thick wad of receipts he showed to imply it was unreliable? Not only is that over 30 bloody years, he pulled out ones like Bill for New Carpets. That's not a bloody reliability issue--and strongly suggests that the owners were fastidious enough to keep the car in pristine order.
Doug also does an acceleration test for all his cars, scoring them so that only something insanely powerful and expensive and new can get a good score. His ridiculous "Doug Score" ranks all cars against current ones--which means in a few years, the older scores will not mean much. A car that got a 7 for Equipment in 2015 will fall short of a 2020 car's 7 score. And it's funny that things like a full-sized spare don't count, especially with all these modern cars that don't even have one to begin with.
But yes, this was just to generate views and comments and so was made to provide a certain image. His actual Autotrader column, for people who know more about cars, was more reasoned.
I agree. It is great when the XJS gets exposure but Doug went out of his way to say how unreliable the V12 XJS is and that was just not fair. Then the icing on the unreliable cake was to make the comment that the V12 XJS was the most famously unreliable Jaguars in a long history of famously unreliable Jaguars. Good point about the carpet receipt as that has zero to do with reliability and shows me that the original owner at least took very good care of that car. I really wonder how many of those receipts were just regular maintenance items like oil changes, belt and fluid changes, brake pads etc. Heck lets say that there were 80 receipts in that file but if the oil got changed twice a year no matter how many miles by even the original owner for the first 20 years that would be 40 receipts just for that and then add in tires, wiper blades, new carpets etc. and in reality you easily have 65 to 70 of those receipts at least having nothing to do with reliability at all.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Just bringing this back up because this same fool reviewed a Pontiac Fiero today. And according to his “score” it is superior to a Jaguar XJS. At 22:36 if you want to be spared the entire “review” . What a tool. Gosh, I dislike this guy, but keep on watching his channel for the cars.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Don't watch the video unless you have U-Block Origin or some other adblocker. Don't give him the revenue. Here's the actual scores:
Dog Scores: XJS vs. Whatever That Is

Weekend 20/50 --> 22/50
Styling: 6 ---> 5 At least it's lower. The Jag's score is based solely on forty-year-old press reports repeated ad nauseam for decades by lazy journalists.
Acc. 1 ---> 1 Fair enough, if your basis for comparison is the Bugatti Chiron Ultraturbo. Compared to which Concorde would have got a 1....
Handling: 4 ---> 5 Really? Mind you, all Dog does is accelerate and turn a few corners.
Fun Factor: 4 ---> 6 Okay, here's a challenge. Go to a Cars & Coffee, offer people there a choice of a drive in one or the other, and see what happens.
Cool Factor: 5 ---> 5 Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell us a 1980s Pontiac Fiero is just as cool as a V12 Jaguar XJ-S??

Daily 21/50 ---> 20/50
Features: 2 ---> 2 Probably fair enough. It has a seat and a steering wheel. What else do you need inside?
Comfort: 6 ---> 5 That must be one comfy Ponty.
Quality: 3 ---> 5 Yeah, I'd really like to compare the reliability here. And the interior doesn't count? Leather and wood vs. fabric and cheap plastic?
Practicality: 4 ---> 2
Value: 6 ---> 6

Old 08-30-2019, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Come on guys, hate is such a bad word. Why? Just because he has a different opinion? He is a journalist. If you don't like him, don't listen. Don't watch. Just let him be him.

Does it offend you, that someone has 'dissed' your car? Heck, my daily is a Fiat 124 Spider. A car he said was not good. Who cares? WE know the XJ-S is a piece of stunning engineering, with some draw backs. Let him have his -wrong- opinion. That is all that counts...

The following users liked this post:
Doug (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

I don't hate him - I hate his opinion.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
I don't hate him - I hate his opinion.
You can't hate an opinion. You won't agree...

EVERYONE is allowed to have their own opinion.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Come on guys, hate is such a bad word. Why? Just because he has a different opinion? He is a journalist. If you don't like him, don't listen. Don't watch. Just let him be him.

Does it offend you, that someone has 'dissed' your car? Heck, my daily is a Fiat 124 Spider. A car he said was not good. Who cares? WE know the XJ-S is a piece of stunning engineering, with some draw backs. Let him have his -wrong- opinion. That is all that counts...
Nothing to do with “hate” . Hate is a normal human emotion in the spectrum of emotions. Just as he is free to make tons and tons of cash on his car reviews, we are also free to make observations on his style his review and videos. I don’t “hate” him for stating that. I am probably contributing to his wealth creation by watching said videos and posting them and mentioning them here for others to watch, so I doubt he cares too much

Old 08-30-2019, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Of course I can hate an opinion. "Hate" is an opinion about something.
Nor are all opinions equally valid. Some are simply wrong. Like being of the opinion that drinking your own urine can cure cancer. Or that aliens are being experimented on at NASA headquarters, when it's clear that they're actually being experimented on at Area 51.

anyoldiron (10-03-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I skimmed the video; it wasn't a Fiero vs Jaguar comparo. The scores are just his opinion at the moment so....who really cares?

I've had Jags as daily drivers for the last 22 years. I love 'em. People disparage Jags (and make fun of me for owning 'em) all them time. It doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I've learned to enjoy it. I just reply by saying "Yeah, a Jag isn't the right car for just anybody" and that always stops them in their tracks. Anyhow, no need to go tribal over Jags or any other make. At the end of the day, a Jag is still just a car. It doesn't have a heartbeat. It's not like people are talking trash about my family.

Those Fieros are pretty neat little cars, actually, especially the last 2-3 years of production. GM finally worked out the bugs and then pulled the plug! I'd love to own one, personally. But my "I'd love to own one" list has about 50 cars on it and, no, they're not all Jaguars . I love various cars for what they are, not for what they aren't.

Years ago I owned an XJS and a Ford Mustang GT simultaneously. The Mustang was, IMO, superior or equal to the Jag in many respects, as I've mentioned in the past from time to time. But, when faced with the decision on which one to sell, 'twas the Mustang that was eventually sent home with a new owner.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Bez74 (08-30-2019), Daim (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I skimmed the video; it wasn't a Fiero vs Jaguar comparo. The scores are just his opinion at the moment so....who really cares?

I've had Jags as daily drivers for the last 22 years. I love 'em. People disparage Jags (and make fun of me for owning 'em) all them time. It doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I've learned to enjoy it. I just reply by saying "Yeah, a Jag isn't the right car for just anybody" and that always stops them in their tracks. Anyhow, no need to go tribal over Jags or any other make. At the end of the day, a Jag is still just a car. It doesn't have a heartbeat. It's not like people are talking trash about my family.

Those Fieros are pretty neat little cars, actually, especially the last 2-3 years of production. GM finally worked out the bugs and then pulled the plug! I'd love to own one, personally. But my "I'd love to own one" list has about 50 cars on it and, no, they're not all Jaguars . I love various cars for what they are, not for what they aren't.

Years ago I owned an XJS and a Ford Mustang GT simultaneously. The Mustang was, IMO, superior or equal to the Jag in many respects, as I've mentioned in the past from time to time. But, when faced with the decision on which one to sell, 'twas the Mustang that was eventually sent home with a new owner.

Cheers
DD
Doug, you are jsut so right with your post. It is all HIS opinion. He has his own personal taste. Everyone has. Hoovie has his own style. So does WatchJRgo... Saabkyle04 started this though his opinions were hard to hear...

Old 09-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Watch carefully while Harry's pointing out various underhood features - that's a $22,000 Patek Philippe wristwatch he's wearing while rummaging around in the engine compartment.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:21 PM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Theres two things that have never had any bearing on me when comes to buying anything with a engine.

1, How far it goes to the gallon

2, What some bobblehead or other thinks of it.

Spikepaga (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

What a shi*tty review. Didn't even drive it as far as the next town. Like reviewing a Gulfstream by taxiing around the runway and complaining that it feels cumbersome.

Spikepaga (10-01-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
.....................i think your XJS must have been born on a Monday, and your Mustang on a Wens l have also owned both. The Mustang was without equal the most wayward handling car ive ever owned. Everyone ive ever met who had a 5.0 Fox body seemed to have a story that involved ending up in ditches the wrong ways round or upside down. Yup had to be the worst handling car ive ever owned ( l havent got round to the Corvair phase yet)

.................................................. ...........................but to be fair, having owned some weird and wonderful stuff it was also the car that made me smile more than any other car. l did 350000kms in that nail, stick shift as a daily driver in the great white north. This was an all too familer sight LMAO

Cheers

Last edited by anyoldiron; 10-03-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by anyoldiron
. Everyone ive ever met who had a 5.0 Fox body seemed to have a story that involved ending up in ditches the wrong ways round or upside down. Yup had to be the worst handling car ive ever owned ( l havent got round to the Corvair phase yet)

No traction control and plenty of power to break the rear tires loose. Hundreds of You Tube videos show exactly what I'm talking about

Cheers
DD