XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Dual electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I have thermo fans on all my V12's, and have so since about 1995ish.

I use the Australian Ford Falcon twin thermo fan pack.

They basically slide straight in, after 2 side lugs are removed with a hacksaw.

I wire the LH fan to the a/c circuit, and the RH is thermo controlled using the existing thermo switch in the water pump inlet spout.

A friend fitted the same fans to his 1990 in Manila. He had them shipped via the seller on ?bay. No concerns when I last spoke with him.

Your market has items we dont know anything about, so people in your area will be better informed than me down here.

Basically any late model car has a very efficient thermo fan setup, and the fitting is where the imagination kicks in.

You wanted straight forward, well that is not always possible, but as I said, I use the Falcon fans with great success, and I consider them EASY to fit.

Here is a snap found via "google" and I hope it works.

Attachment 126337
Hi Grant,

New on this forum.

Was reading your post (May 2016) reference Ford Falcon twin turbo fan conversion for XJS V12. and thinking to do this on my cabriolet.

Would appreciate it if you could give me the year and model Falcon you used. There seems to be a lot of variation throw up on a google search.

Your picture seems to show the two fans parallel to each other, but most of the fans I have seen offered for Falcons appear to have one fan slightly higher than the other on the mounting frame.

Many thanks in advance,

John

Old 07-30-2019, 01:50 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Is this one of the ones you've looked at? Just wondering. There are 3-4 choices out there as I recall.

The CatCooler Jaguar XJS V12 Very High Flow Twin Electric Cooling Fans System from V12 Performance

The "....pretty much drops in without trouble" is what you're paying for, mostly. That is, someone has already done all the experimenting and fabricating for a good fit.

Before buying from any vendor ask if they actually have product in stock and ready to ship. There is at least one, maybe a couple, who apparently wait several weeks till they have xxx-number of paid orders and then have the parts made up, assembled, and shipped
DD
I purchased these and within 4000 miles both fans started squeaking, they had no brand on them so I assume they were the $20 variety, I have since replaced with spal fans, this and his poor feedback, but the plate that support for the fans is good, if only they sold separately, it would be the way to go.
p.s. you can change the crank seal I 1 hour with these fans fitted and possible the water pump on a v12

Last edited by rgp; 07-30-2019 at 01:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

I replaced the smaller fan with a:
Maradyne Champion Series M103K - 10 inch 130W - 950 CFM
Works great - after linishing the outside for a perfect fit. Nice and close.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dukejag:
Grant Francis (07-30-2019), Greg in France (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 AM
Received 10,494 Likes on 6,929 Posts

Originally Posted by John Daniels
Hi Grant,

New on this forum.

Was reading your post (May 2016) reference Ford Falcon twin turbo fan conversion for XJS V12. and thinking to do this on my cabriolet.

Would appreciate it if you could give me the year and model Falcon you used. There seems to be a lot of variation throw up on a google search.

Your picture seems to show the two fans parallel to each other, but most of the fans I have seen offered for Falcons appear to have one fan slightly higher than the other on the mounting frame.

Many thanks in advance,

John
OK, looooong time ago.

I used the latest model Falcon on the market at the time, so 1996/96 would be EF I reckon.

I got the "taxi pack" spec fan from a mate at the Ford Dealer.

They had Bosch Germany stickies on both motors, so I reckon good enough for the Jag, no idea what is out there these days. Others I have converted have supplied the fan pack in a Ford box, and I did not look.

This is the EF fan snap, NOT mine, simply one I found on the Net.

Many cars have Efans now, and maybe there is something better out there, dunno. Outside the box thinking is always good and fun.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for quick reply Grant, will see what I can find and have a play with it, what fun!! J.

Grant Francis (07-30-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

I am currently running e fans out of a f body camero fit the stock radiator reasonably well and installed without much fuss and works good.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Grant,
I am in Melbourne and have just bought Ford Falcon twin fans to fit onto my 1986 XJSC as it has the dreaded yellow fan with cracks in it and the viscous coupling is leaking oil. I noticed that one fan has two wires - simple, but the other one has 3 wires - why? Would you have a wiring diagram for connecting them to the Jaguar? I don't want to make a mistake. Also in your set up, if the A/C is not on, would only one fan work? Thanks in advance.
Vadim

Old 06-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,156 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by vadim_gershon
Hi Grant,
I am in Melbourne and have just bought Ford Falcon twin fans to fit onto my 1986 XJSC as it has the dreaded yellow fan with cracks in it and the viscous coupling is leaking oil. I noticed that one fan has two wires - simple, but the other one has 3 wires - why? Would you have a wiring diagram for connecting them to the Jaguar? I don't want to make a mistake. Also in your set up, if the A/C is not on, would only one fan work? Thanks in advance.
Vadim
l have falcon twins on my xjrs and as l recall one fan is two speed unit and one is on or off.
I don't have my original circuit scribble to hand but l think l wired for low speed fan on with A/C and both fans full power switched by temp switch.

Grant Francis (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you

Old 06-12-2022, 05:48 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vadim_gershon
Hi Grant,
Vadim
I fitted the Falcon dual fan setup 20 years ago in my 79 coupe after changing the engine to a rebuilt HE with electric coolant pump.
There is a non OEM full engine fuel/ignition system on the car and that I used to control the fans thru relays.
The fans are driven at full speed when the engine is over 1200RPM and/or hot.
Otherwise they are driven at low speed.
I had one problem fitting the fan shroud, it slightly fouled the return oil pipe low down on the LHS of the radiator.
Since there was a mechanic across the road at work who was a better welder than me, I hacksawed a cut in the pipe so I could bend it slightly and he welded it up for free.
Problem fixed but not sure why others do not seem to have that pipe problem.

Grant Francis (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 08:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This diagram may help. I used Ford Falcon EL twin fans, fit very easy. I also used a thermo switch with hi and lo settings, you need to add relays, takes a while but very worth it. Please ignore the D* line. Useful link here https://vasa.org.au/wp-content/rtp/v.../RTPELV1B4.pdf
Can post pictures if needed

Old 06-12-2022, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,156 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by richardsjags

I had one problem fitting the fan shroud, it slightly fouled the return oil pipe low down on the LHS of the radiator.
Since there was a mechanic across the road at work who was a better welder than me, I hacksawed a cut in the pipe so I could bend it slightly and he welded it up for free.
Problem fixed but not sure why others do not seem to have that pipe problem.
Not sure if it would have made a difference in your case but l installed mine upside down (see pic in post #11) It fitted my radiator perfectly (this was an aluminium radiator) and may have had the effect of creating a little more clearance at the bottom.
l don't know if full flow verses bypass flow oil cooling would make any difference to pipe clearances maybe.