XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Duct tape: never leave home without it

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Duct tape: never leave home without it

So I narrowly averted an overheating disaster today with my '94 AJ6.

Decided to take it for a nice day-off drive to the mountains. About 30 miles from home, I noticed a bit of stumbling coming off a stop sign, then I saw the Temp gauge was almost at the red. I slowed down, turned off the AC, starting trying to figure out the problem. I was on a nice NW Georgia rural blacktop, just surrounded by farms, but fortunately I knew I was just a few miles from a corner country store. Made it, pulled to a stop as smoke started coming from the hood. Trip computer told me to check engine, FF14 ("FF 14").

Well, coolant was all over the front top of the engine. So I let it cool a bit, went inside, bought some coolant ($11), filled it, cranked the motor, and the radiator fan was spraying it everywhere.

Culprit was the top radiator hose, where it is clamped to the motor. It had a split underneath, about 6" long.

I had no tools, nothing. Several good ole boys stopped to chat and offer advice. But the corner store had a wrench ($6), a pair of pliers ($7) and a single roll of duct tape ($6 - maybe about 10-feet worth). So I undid the clamp, pulled the hose, and wrapped the radiator hose with duct tape, about 3 layers worth. Bought more coolant (2x$11), topped it off, cranked it, all was good.

I decided a retreat towards home was best, and babying the car, I made it home with the Temp gauge never much above N. By the time I got home, it seemed to be leaking again, just a little.

So, lessons learned:

1) Never leave home without a robust tool box.
2) Never leave home without extra coolant.
3) Never leave home without Duct Tape!

Oh, and 4) always have a large bottle of water on hand ($2). My puppies had to sweat it out while I made the repair.

So how did this happen? Partly my fault, I suppose. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled that hose to get at the crank position sensor and install Andy's Bracket. I should have replaced the hose while I had it off. 136k miles on the car, so replacing a lot of hoses will be next on my to-do list.

I was really hoping to do some sport-mode driving in the mountains with the new Andy's Bracket, there's a noticeable difference.

But at least I made it home. Total cost, about $55.

Next up. Rockauto to buy some hoses.

Padre

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Been there with my XJ8... I ended up stranded 50 km from home, 20 km from work on the Autobahn. Used my bottled water. Lost 1l every 5 km... So I was constantly stopping amd using expensive water... Repaired it with some duct tape (little tear, about 2 cm long) and replaced the hose 2 days later.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Duct aka Duck tape is great stuff. Baling wire, Duck tape and WD40 !!!!

Actually, there is a dedicated version for water hoses. Each of my cars has a roll. So far, so good, unneeded.

Old axiom is true. If you have it, you will likely not need it. If not, 'the flip side".

Good work....

Carl

Old 08-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

FWIW, I carry basic screwdrivers, duct tape - silver AND clear along with a garbage bag, a fire extinguisher and a charged cell phone at all times in my 1990 convertible. I'm not sure I have the skills to put them to full use, but I do have them in a pinch....and admit to using the phone a couple of times so far, and the tape and bag to cover a window that was stuck down, also.