XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

ECU Part numbers etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitch, Did you ever get a reply on your question about the XJ6 ECU (X300) working in a 96 XJS.
If it did work, was it plug and play or did you have to have a shop tweak the settings in any way.
I also have the AJ16 - 4.0 96 XJS and am looking for a solution.
Thanks.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I read this thread with great interest because I was having problems with my ECU LHE-1410 DJ in my '96 XJS. Years ago, the IAC stopped working properly causing high idle and intermittent high idle. I replaced the IAC and the temp sensor with no success, had the ECU repaired and it all worked fine, for a while. Recently sent out the ECU and it was returned to me as "un-repairable." In chatting to another owner, he had the same experience with the ECU place I sent mine to. The car's performance was deteriorating, and setting engine codes, blah, blah, blah. Finding another LHE has been difficult, and when they do surface they tend to be north of $1,000.00. I saw the post about putting a LNA-1410 DA in as a replacement. Found one for $180.00. Put it in , made a few adjustments and the car runs fine. Does not stumble, stall, can set proper idle, and we will see about the gas mileage (it has been deteriorating). No codes. And I can see about getting the LHE repaired by another shop, and still drive the car. I do want a spare.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (08-01-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM PART NUMBERS 1996 my XJS Convertible

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Well, it's not as easily cut and dried as you might expect. This will probably just muddy the waters, but here goes.

I haven't had time to find all the documentation in print, but I'll do the best I can with my recollection. OBDII was a standard that was mandated in the US, for cars of the 1996 model year and later. The 1995 cars got he AJ16 engine which was to have the new engine management that was compliant with the standard. Certain parts of the fully compliant system were omitted from some 1995 cars for who knows what reason; cost, I'm sure was part of it. For instance 1996 cars had some evaporative emission hardware that the 1995's didn't. A fuel tank pressure sensor and electric canister close valve as a couple examples. Some had twin carbon canisters, some had only one.
Obviously trying to use an ECM from a car that had that hardware in a car that didn't have it, would cause immediate Check Engine lights. It would be the same as disconnecting it on the original car. How swapping an ECM in the other direction would work is anyone's guess. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't.

When I said 1995 the OBDII wasn't "fully implemented", I was referring to certain parameters or PID's that didn't report logically, and to the fact some fault codes and component monitors were missing. Examples are, 1995 didn't monitor catalysts as I recall, nor was misfire detection active. Well, it was there, but it would not set a Check Engine light.

Also for 1995, the STFT and LTFT values were jibberish. Attached are some scantool screens from my 1995 XJR and a like 1996 belonging to a friend of mine. One screen from my car is taken at a time when the fueling adaptions had strayed too far and caused running issues and high MPG. [I have to reset those adaptions about once a year, I know it's time when the fuel mileage goes way down] You'll see my LTFT reads +45%. But right after I have cleared the adaptions you can see it reads -100%. Not logical at all. I have found all 1995 AJ16's read this way.
My friend's '96 shows the trims report just like we would expect; zero as neutral and going positive or negative as necessary.

Another difference is the 1995 catalysts in the States were different than the ROW. [Rest of World] In 1996 we here got the same catalysts as everywhere else.

@paul -- this probably is why your experience differs from mine here. I neglected to consider the US/ROW thing when I made that post. [and I should have] Some of the following part number stuff may not apply to the UK, but then again it might.

Also attached is some part number info for the various models, years and wheelbases. Software is different even for SWB and LWB versions of each model year sedan. This is why some inspections will fail a car with mix & match replacement ECM's. I have found some inspections/inspectors are more in-depth than others. Some will catch the mis-match and some will not. It's a roll of the dice in those areas.

Hope that helps some. I know it's confusing at times.
hi ref 1996 MY XJS CONVERTIBLE LH drive US car ECM Part no
a while back you posted some thumbnails of the correct part number for these cars. It’s a little blurred and can’t make the letters/ numbers out.
Do you how critical the letters after LNA 1410 are? Here is a photo of mine. Revealed not fitted correctly on bracket & several stickers all showing different part no’s. The car is running terribly; misfiring codes 0300; 1313 & 1314 coming up on OBD reader. Check engine light on. I’ve been advised the ECM is likely to be from an XJ6 which is why the car runs so badly. Any help is much appreciated.
thank you

Old 09-10-2020, 03:35 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

My eyes are rubbish, but on that sticker I see "4.0l N/A" Meaning AJ16 4ltr 6cyl NO Supercharger.

If yours is a 6cyl car, not a V12, then that ECU is correct. The AJ16 system was used across the X300 Sedan, and the X300, 1995 to 1996ish.

The small Green sticker with the handwriting on it, is a tad suspect, usually applied when the untis are opened up for repairs, oops.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-10-2020 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,214 Posts

When is the last time you replaced your coils?

Using an XJ6 ECU may have issues with some security feature, but the car should run normally. If you do a search on the forum, I believe you'll find some posts from people who have used it. There is some light that pops up on the dash, but the car ran normally. The light was from the ECU looking for some minor sensor that the XJS does not have. I swear it was security related though.

Your problems are most likely coils related. Order some QYL from Amazon, which seem to be working well for other users here instead of the more costly Diamond branded coils, and let us know what happens. This doesn't seem unusual for failing coils.

Last edited by Vee; 09-10-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Grant Francis (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for replies. Two of the coils have been replaced and the others are ok. Below are images of the OBD reader. Do the fault codes/descriptions look familiar to anyone?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

You have misfires on both banks.

This could be caused by a few failing coils.

Bad oxygen sensors.

Bad TPS.

I would start by replacing the coils, as I initially suggested. You didn’t mention how long ago you replaced the two, but you have four more to go. What brand of coil did you use?

Id like to see your trims as well. LTFT for both banks.

I wonder if the new ECU is confused by the oxygen sensor orientation.... That could be the source of the problem as well, perhaps? For the hell of it, do you want to consider swapping out your lower oxygen sensor plugs? Should be at the back of your engine. Just unplug both of them and replug them back in to the other plug! Make sure they are the ones for the lower oxygen sensors. You’ll have four plugs back there.

make sure you remember how you started. If nothing changes, you’ll want to undo this.

Last edited by Vee; 09-11-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Doug (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Personally and just "FWIW", I wouldn't delve into any AJ16 misfire/running problem without first replacing all the coils. The failure mode of these coils is so bizarre that you simply have to take coils out of the equation first. I know that sounds scattershot...and it is..... but it comes from years of driving an X300, multiple tormenting driveability problems, and multiple coil failures.

You can go alá carte and prolong the misery. Or go full meal, get it over and done with, and then move on

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (09-11-2020), Vee (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Personally and just "FWIW", I wouldn't delve into any AJ16 misfire/running problem without first replacing all the coils. The failure mode of these coils is so bizarre that you simply have to take coils out of the equation first. I know that sounds scattershot...and it is..... but it comes from years of driving an X300, multiple tormenting driveability problems, and multiple coil failures.

You can go alá carte and prolong the misery. Or go full meal, get it over and done with, and then move on

Cheers
DD
Agreed. That's why it was my first question.

At the prices QYL go for on Amazon, it's an easy $80 on something that probably needs replacing anyways. Four of those coils are about 25 years old?

Old 09-11-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

OBD2 was intended to be introduced in 1995 but the requirements were revised in 1994 and the implementation date put back to 1996, as a result there are a lot of 1995 ECUs that are unique to that year.

uspurs (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 05:20 AM
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a lot of information about ECU.

LUCAS EFI / AJ6 Engineering

Old 05-02-2022, 06:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need an ECU - How about in California!?

Hello,

I would love to use a different ECU from a 1995 XJS or XJ to pass smog here in CA but I think the regulations are too strict (I can't be missing the O2 sensor by using a 1995 ECU for example). I really need a 1996 XJS ECU 4.0 6cyl. Does anyone have a good line on one?