XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

EGR Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EGR Replacement

I see the forum stick regarding EGR recall and EPROM mod to ECU for my model XJS. I called the dealer to see if they will still honor and he stated they would; howver, he cannot locate the bulletins. This seems odd and he was obviously puzzled by this and is going to research and call back. meanwhile, should I take the recall I printed from the sticky and bring it to the tech? Would that be what he needs?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
I see the forum stick regarding EGR recall and EPROM mod to ECU for my model XJS. I called the dealer to see if they will still honor and he stated they would; howver, he cannot locate the bulletins. This seems odd and he was obviously puzzled by this and is going to research and call back. meanwhile, should I take the recall I printed from the sticky and bring it to the tech? Would that be what he needs?
Tell the dealer it is R493 & they can find it on JBN-Service-Product Support. The car is so old most techs were not around when that recall first came out. Do your self a favor & make sure the bolts will come off the EGR valve as they won't pay to repair a broken bolt. Are you sure the recall is still open on your car? If you post the last 6 digits of your vin I can check for you.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

A recall is a recall. It will always be open until completed. That is US law. Basically, If you have a black EGR valve, it has not been done. The valves were replaced with silver bodied valves. We replaced eproms, two bolts and a gasket for the valves, along with the throttle return spring. Most likely the chips will have to be ordered. In fact, all the parts will probably have to be ordered. It is so old, few dealers have kept pieces in stock and Jag has probably bought back much of that stock. Even when I was at the Jag dealer in 2010, we saw a couple cars come in needing the recall. I even see cars on ebay sometimes that have the black valve.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 AM

I would appreciate that! 197151 is the last six.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Default More about EGR recall

I am going to look on the bottom of the ECM, if the recall was carried out, there is supposed to be a sticker with the recall 493 and a date. That will have to wait until later today.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
A recall is a recall. It will always be open until completed. That is US law. Basically, If you have a black EGR valve, it has not been done. The valves were replaced with silver bodied valves. We replaced eproms, two bolts and a gasket for the valves, along with the throttle return spring. Most likely the chips will have to be ordered. In fact, all the parts will probably have to be ordered. It is so old, few dealers have kept pieces in stock and Jag has probably bought back much of that stock. Even when I was at the Jag dealer in 2010, we saw a couple cars come in needing the recall. I even see cars on ebay sometimes that have the black valve.
The valve is black. I WD40ed the bolts and they came off nicely. I suppose the recall was not carried out. The part replacement is easy. The EPROM chip is to create a "cleaning cycle"; do you know if that is even effective or would it be best to still clean the valve periodically?

Last edited by Jimbeaux; 02-03-2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: adding the last two sentences.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I think your personal preference would be the avenue you take. It won't hurt the valve to clean the carbon off. My own car has a seized bolt and that is as far as that goes. The recall was done on it a long time ago. The chips were replaced to add a cleaning cycle, as you noted. The situation originally was stalling due to the egr valve staying open on deceleration causing a big vacuum leak and eventual stalling. I have experienced this first hand in my own car after the recall. I have not had it happen since I started using premium fuel though. Is it related? I don't know for sure but I am comfortable believing that it helps. Just like you are comfortable cleaning the valve. There will always be carbon deposits on the valve since it flows exhaust gasses through it. The problem was a buildup of sticky deposits causing the valve to get stuck open.

One other part of the recall was that the throttle spring was clocked differently. This was to help it close completely at idle. Crankcase gases build-up on the throttle blade and interfere with it closing completely. The spring was to increase tension slightly to overcome this buildup. It was clocked 90 degrees from the original location.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply Black, I am glad (in a good way) that you had similar experiences. I always run Premium fuel. I will keep the valve clean, whether they give me a new one or not. I wonder the difference in the old black or new silver valve? Maybe nothing, just new.