XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation EPIC FAIL

Hey guys,
The gears on my car are stiff and I wanted to change the gearbox oil. Its a Getrad Manual Gearbox which is leaking I can see from the garage floor. So I set out changing the rear gearbox seal first and then the oil. Put the car of ramps, got underneath, and realised there really isn't that much space I felt uneasy. Mission aborted very fast, car of the ramps and save that job for the mechanic.

If I had a pit or a safer way for being under the car with more space, I could do it no problem.

Anyway just an update.

Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by Duke85:
Grant Francis (05-02-2020), orangeblossom (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Hi Duke

Don't feel bad, as jobs like that are best left to a Shop, unless you have the experience of Guys like Greg/Grant/Doug to name but a few

The following users liked this post:
Duke85 (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 04:41 PM
Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi Duke,

Don't feel bad about this. Some of my most spectacular failures have been when I didn't stop soon enough and just blundered on. This is when disasters occur!

If you have a leak it will need fixing. How quickly depends on where it is coming from and how fast. Are you sure it is from the gearbox? Engine oil leaks have a habit of traveling backwards and the 6 cylinder engines can leak from many places. If you want to change the gearbox oil make sure the filler plug can be undone before you drain it (apologies if you have already thought of this).

You mention the gears are stiff. How far have you driven the car? My own manual requires a few miles before the change is smooth - I put this down to cold oil. The other problem with this gearbox is worn out bushes on the remote gearchange mechanism which makes the change vague and apparently stiff to get into gear. I have this to do on my car when I get round to it. There are posts on here that show the process - I can link you if you cannot find.

Cheers,
LeeP

Old 05-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Leep,
Thanks for your response. Yh, I think everything is amplified right now because of the lockdown. I'd looked forward to doing this. I've moved on
I did get a good look under there and I could see and feel the oil coming from the rear gearbox seal. I might get some photos tomorrow to show you. I drive the car far, country roads, motorways and around town.

I would like more information on these gearbox bushes please. This may need to be done also.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks again

Old 05-03-2020, 08:25 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Leep . . .
"If you have a leak it will need fixing. How quickly depends on where it is coming from and how fast. Are you sure it is from the gearbox? Engine oil leaks have a habit of traveling backwards and the 6 cylinder engines can leak from many places."
Jaguar engines do NOT leak. What you are seeing is the central component of Jaguar's chassis anti-rust system, While the car is in motion oil slowly seeps from the engine and is carried back by the wind, spraying on the chassis and suspension, thereby protecting the car from rust.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ron McLeod:
avern1 (05-04-2020), Dukejag (05-06-2020), Steve Griffith (05-09-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 10:04 AM

Very funny Ron. I thought it was only my old MGB that had that! Probably explains why more modern cars rust out so quick.
Cheers,
LeeP

Old 05-06-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Duke85
Hey Leep,
Thanks for your response. Yh, I think everything is amplified right now because of the lockdown. I'd looked forward to doing this. I've moved on
I did get a good look under there and I could see and feel the oil coming from the rear gearbox seal. I might get some photos tomorrow to show you. I drive the car far, country roads, motorways and around town.

I would like more information on these gearbox bushes please. This may need to be done also.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks again
Hi Duke,

You can find more info on the gearchange bushes on the post below.http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91375

Cheers,
LeeP

Old 05-08-2020, 07:12 AM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

If you are really interested in getting under the car yourself, visit your local Harbor Freight. Get 2 sets of 6 ton jackstands, a low profile 3 ton jack and a low profile creeper. It will cost you about $200. You will also need a piece ot 4x4 and a piece of 2x8 to help raise the car. Jack up the front, under the crossmember. Get the jack stands, on the lowest setting under the front control arms so the edge of the spring pocket sets in the jackstand. Go to the rear, place the jack in from the rear center to the differential. use the 2x8 to distribute the load and raise the rear under the differential until you can get the jack stands under the rear shock mounts. The rear control arm and the plate on the back keep the stands from going anywhere. Now add the 4x4 and raise the rear to the highest setting on the jackstand. Go back to the front, position the jack straight in fron the front center, back under the crossmember and use the 4x4 on the jack to raise it enough to get the front jackstands on the highest setting. This puts the car about 22" in the air and very solidly positioned.

The following users liked this post:
leep123 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Dleit53
If you are really interested in getting under the car yourself, visit your local Harbor Freight. Get 2 sets of 6 ton jackstands, a low profile 3 ton jack and a low profile creeper. It will cost you about $200. You will also need a piece ot 4x4 and a piece of 2x8 to help raise the car. Jack up the front, under the crossmember. Get the jack stands, on the lowest setting under the front control arms so the edge of the spring pocket sets in the jackstand. Go to the rear, place the jack in from the rear center to the differential. use the 2x8 to distribute the load and raise the rear under the differential until you can get the jack stands under the rear shock mounts. The rear control arm and the plate on the back keep the stands from going anywhere. Now add the 4x4 and raise the rear to the highest setting on the jackstand. Go back to the front, position the jack straight in fron the front center, back under the crossmember and use the 4x4 on the jack to raise it enough to get the front jackstands on the highest setting. This puts the car about 22" in the air and very solidly positioned.
Do this, and then placed two or more rimmed tires, stacked if possible, in and around the areas you will be working in... It is not a myth... People do get crushed under cars. It happens FAST!

SAFETY first good people! Safety first!

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
leep123 (05-08-2020), Steve Griffith (05-09-2020)