XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Evans Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 06:56 AM
Received 342 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Evans Coolant

Hi all. Yes Grant I said it might be controversial but here we go. I have acquired some Evans Power Cool 180 waterless coolant and enough prep fluid to do the job on the Jag. It didn’t cost much from a friend who never got round to using it. Well I drained the old coolant as instructed and managed to remove 19.5ltrs including the over flow tank in the wing. I’m lucky that my cooling system is spotless. I flushed it when I first got the car and no crap came out so I have to assume that it’s been changed regularly throughout its life.
I filled up with the prep fluid last night ran it up to temperature and let it sit all night. I have just drained all the prep fluid out fitted my new thermostats and we are now ready to fill with the coolant. Right let’s go and fill her up. I will let you know how it goes later.
Rob.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:37 AM
Received 619 Likes on 378 Posts

Controversial - depends - insane certainly, but you got it cheap so no harm done I guess. That's expensive stuff to have the V12 pewk all over the floor, although it isn't supposed to boil until it hits 180°C, but I've considered it also so I don't think controversial. It is the price that puts me off totally, at around £12 per litre times 19.5 litres thats £234 and that's without all the preparation nonsense and costs (£143ish @ 7.33 a litre), so I'd want to be 110% sure of things engine and cooling wise before I installed it as no matter what you do recovering it when you take something apart is only going to be partially successful because the net cost of installation is circa £400 - that's a fat no chance from me even if I was sure of my system though.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 441 Posts

I know Jay Leno uses it in a lot of his cars, especially ones he doesn't drive a lot. He says they typically run 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than normal antifreeze/water mix. If you live in a mild climate, I guess that would be OK. I live in a hot climate, so I wouldn't take the chance.

Jon

Old 07-23-2022, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,440 Likes on 5,525 Posts

Robbo
This is an earlier thread on the subject. Buy in haste...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oolant-172898/

Greg

Old 07-23-2022, 01:37 PM

I have done plenty and reading YouTubing etc so I know all the pros and cons but for what I paid I thought why not give it a go and see. If nothing else I can satisfy my curiosity. Happy to report back my findings as we go along. Anyway first problem is my home made thermostat gasket leaked. DM sent me the wrong one for the 4 bolt housing and I couldn’t wait until Monday for the correct one to arrive. Never mind should be up and running next week.
Rob.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-24-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 03:18 PM

Quick update. New gasket arrived yesterday so I filled the system with the Evans. System bled ok and ran up to temperature. I have been measuring all the coolant out prep fluid in then out and lastly the quantity of Evans coolant in. I emailed Evans all the details and a chap called Nathan there worked out the water level in my system which is now around 1% so perfect. I can send him a sample and he will measure the amount of water in the coolant but he is confident that his working out is correct. So so far all good I will be out and about at the weekend so will see how it goes.
Rob.

The following 2 users liked this post by Robbo D:
Greg in France (07-27-2022), Mike1610 (07-27-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 11:53 AM

An update if anyone is interested. I decided to fit 82c thermostats(genuine Jaguar) with Evans as it runs slightly warmer than normal coolant. Anyway I have been out to a car show today around 120 mile round trip with 28c ish outside temperature and I have to say the car behaved perfectly. I did fit a new 7psi cap from an E Type to the expansion tank as the Evans doesn't build much pressure. This works perfectly on my car allowing any expanding coolant to flow into the overflow bottle and then sucking it back as the engine cools. My gauge reads bottom of the N rising slightly in traffic with the fan coming on and off as needed. So far happy with the results.
Rob.

The following 3 users liked this post by Robbo D:
Chap1958 (08-09-2022), FerrariGuy (08-11-2022), Greg in France (08-07-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 02:54 AM

Another update. All is well with the conversion so far. I did send a coolant sample to Evans for testing and they sent me a picture showing 0.9% waster content which is amazing as I didn’t remove any hoses to drain the old coolant just sucked it out of the radiator with my vacuum extractor and used compressed air to blow through the system. It took a few days with the car jacked up at the rear so all the coolant pooled in the lowest part of the radiator. The temperature gauge does read higher than with normal water / antifreeze mix so I got myself one of those Laser thermometers to check actual temperatures. Temperatures at the thermostat housings between 86- 89c and the bottom hose going back to the water pump reads around 74c this is after a 10-12 mile run yesterday with outside temperatures of around 28c. How do these figures stack up? Auxiliary fan cuts in and goes off as needed when sitting in traffic etc. The car is running really nicely at the moment.
Rob.

Rob.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,440 Likes on 5,525 Posts

Temps seen fine, Robbo.
Greg

Old 08-14-2022, 05:56 AM

Cheers Greg. That’s what I thought. I took the temps a couple of minutes after I shut the engine off some there may have been a bit of heat soak going on. A bit weird the the gauge should read higher but the coolant temperature is spot on. I have read elsewhere that this happens. I don’t know if what people say is correct that Evans takes more heat from the engine so the coolant temperature is higher but the engine metal is cooler. Anyway so far so good.
Rob.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering using Evans coolant, I think you were lucky to have such a small amount of water left in the system. Where I live in Portugal we get very high temperatures ( This year upto 47 degrees. )
I will be replacing all hoses and clips and caps before I start as these are the things that usually go if the engine gets too hot.
When an engine boils ( 100 degrees ) that pressure needs to go somewhere... all car manufactures test their car to the extreme ultra hot?cold.
but if you get a leak, the air in the system changes everything, and all bets are off!!
The only way around being stuck in traffic in extreme temperature is to put you heater on and if you get a boil over you're "up the creak without a paddle."
I've seen friends have a total rebuild of the older type of engine with steel block with massive repairs to corroded alloy heads and as soon as it's completed they fill it with a water based coolant again!! ... the old saying comes to mind... " Cheap's Dear. "
Still, we all have our own take on things... as long as we keep our little darling on the road eh!!?

Old 08-14-2022, 10:33 AM

Hi Moody.
47c bloody hell I couldn’t put up with that. 29c here in North Norfolk today and it’s to much for me. I measured the old coolant out so I new there couldn’t be much left. It took a few day with the car jacked up at the rear then on the LH side so all the old coolant pooled at the bottom of the radiator under the banjo bolt. I just kept sucking it out until I could get no more. I did run the prep fluid for a little while then drained that the same as the old coolant again blowing through with compressed air. Fitted new 82c stats after checking they worked and opened to the correct length to block the bypass when needed. I also removed the valve in the bleed hose under the central filler cap and also opened up the hole in the banjo fitting on top of the radiator filled her up and so far so good.
Rob.