XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Exhaust Repair Piece Will It Slide Over The End Of The Downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021 | 08:34 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Exhaust Repair Piece Will It Slide Over The End Of The Downpipe?

Hi Guys

My Exhaust Repair piece just turned up and would like to ask if anyone has the dimensions of the end of the bend on the Downpipe with the 'Flange' cut off

In other words if I cut the 'Flange' off the end of the Downpipe would my 'Repair Piece' slide over the end, so that I can adjust the length before I Weld it or would I have to Butt Weld it, or even Split the Repair Piece so that I can hammer it on and adjust the length of it before Welding

Will this Tube slide over the end of the Downpipe if I cut the Flange off the end of the Downpipe as this repair piece has got already got a new Flange on to replace it

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-04-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2021 | 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Guys

My Exhaust Repair piece just turned up and would like to ask if anyone has the dimensions of the end of the bend on the Downpipe with the 'Flange' cut off

In other words if I cut the 'Flange' off the end of the Downpipe would my 'Repair Piece' slide over the end, so that I can adjust the length before I Weld it or would I have to Butt Weld it, or even Split the Repair Piece so that I can hammer it on and adjust the length of it before Welding

Will this Tube slide over the end of the Downpipe if I cut the Flange off the end of the Downpipe as this repair piece has got already got a new Flange on to replace it
If it's needed, you could bring both bits (if ya wanna take the downpipe off) to an exhaust shop and they can 'stretch' open the end of your splice an 1/8th or a little more.

When I was ready for the exhaust shop after installing my new down pipes I drove Cherry Pie open and raw,,, downpipes only,,, for a mile or two... Every dog on Staten Island was under the bed, lol... Take of the intermediate pipe and mid muffler as a whole section and DRIVE her over the shop... Hot rod style!!!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021 | 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Oh!!!
are you the welder!?
If so, I'm jealous.

I have a snap on tools mig welder but no place to plug in... I haven't used it yet

orangeblossom (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021 | 09:42 AM
|
Veteran Member

Hi Jay

Unfortunately Exhaust Shops who do what you suggested are a little bit few and far between in my neck of the woods, you guys in the US are thoroughly spoiled like that as even Tuning Shops over here are pretty much non existent unless you want some Fluffy Dice to hang on your rear view mirror so we have to improvise as best we can

Although I can Butt Weld it if I have to, I was hoping my Repair Piece, would slide over the end of the Downpipe to give it extra strength and though I could measure it myself we are in the middle of a rainstorm at the moment and so the Car is difficult to get to

Old 06-04-2021 | 06:03 PM
|
Veteran Member

Hi Jay

On reflection, you are absolutely right and that exhaust repair piece needs to be opened up a fraction to go over the pipe, although the only guys that have these machines are way out of Town

The bodge up you see in the photo was like that before I got the Car, so I'm going to do a much better 'bodge' of my own until I know my Cage Rebuild is ok and then I'll take the down pipe off my 'scrapper' when 'The Ice Princess' is off my Car Lift, as that downpipe seems to be in good condition while also looking a nightmare to undo

Old 06-05-2021 | 08:36 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Amazon Amazon

This Powerbuilt 940378 Medium Tailpipe Expander Set should work to expand that pipe...

The following 2 users liked this post by Vee:
Greg in France (06-06-2021), orangeblossom (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021 | 05:41 PM
|
Veteran Member

Hi Vee

Cheers!

Now that's what I call perfect timing and those Exhaust Expander Kits cost Peanuts over here in the UK. under £16

And while I didn't even know that you could buy such a thing, I'd like to go through the reviews on YouTube just to get an idea of how they work in practice, although I think I overlooked an obvious Solution as I'm pretty sure that my local hydraulic Shop has got a professional one but then of course being Saturday they are closed

Where to make matters worse the Rain is back, so still no chance for a Test Drive at the moment

But anyway thanks for your Input and your help

Alex

Greg in France (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021 | 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm. I hate to be THAT guy, but this is what I'm thinking.

For those types expanders, if you can get them on a fairly long section of pipe, even better with bends, even better stretching a section of pipe that is partly installed and connected to a longer section of pipe that is connected to an exhaust system, and it is pipe that is standard wall thickness ---- it is STILL hard as hell to get a significant increase in ID with an expander, breaker bar or some sorta torquing tool... Stretching exhaust pipe can be tough.

For that very short section of pipe in the photo above with what looks like an extra thick wall,,, you might be in for a real wrestling match with an Amazon type expander and a socket wrench... Just holding it in place is going to be tough.

orangeblossom (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021 | 04:58 PM
|
Veteran Member

Hi Jay@Vee

Cheers!

My thoughts exactly and so I am working on another way to solve this problem and if it works I'll write it up

Thanks again to both of you for your help

Alex