XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Exhaust system replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 10:13 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Exhaust system replacement

As seen below it was recommended that I start a new thread on this. Not sure if there was a direct way to do that so instead am simply pasting in the original questions. Apologies if this is not the right way to do it.
---Quote (Originally by billmgeo)---
Folks: I know nothing about replacing all or parts of the exhaust system on the XJS (mine is 1992 facelift, 6 cylinder, coupe). Is there a consensus as to the best types of replacements if I go for stainless steel (quallity)?
If I am replacing say, half of the system, should I simply go for the whole thing starting after the catalytic converters (assuming they are OK).
What alternatives are there? And are there some that cause problems?
Sorry if this is too vague or open a question.
Bill
---End Quote---
Start a new thread, this thread is ten years old and doesn't really relate to your question

The following users liked this post:
Softball60 (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 02:29 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If you’re doing it yourself, there aren’t a lot of aftermarket options.

There is someone around here that is selling a stainless manifold. If you have the money for that, I’d do that to avoid the eventual cracking you’ll get from the cast iron manifolds.

It really depends what you want from the replacement. You haven’t clarified why you want to replace your exhaust in the first place.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Bill,

I think it depends on 2 questions:

- Why are you thinking of changing it? - Has part of it worn out, or are you trying to get a performance or noise change?
- What restrictions do you have in Canada? Eg do you need the front cats or centre boxes etc to pass emissions legislation?

I know you're overseas, but you could contact AJ6 engineering in the UK to get their advice. They do a lot of exhaust replacements / upgrades for all models of XJS and can perhaps suggest what you might do. See here:

HIGH QUALITY XJS EXHAUST SYSTEMS from AJ6 ENGINEERING / AJ6 Engineering (jagweb.com)

Cheers

Paul

Old 09-29-2023, 01:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Exhaust system replacement - reasons - worn out

Thanks Vee and Paul
To clarify why - I have a major service going on right now which includes a lot of work on the power steering, but the mechanic recognised a lot of corrosion in the mufflers (close to a hole through), broken clamps, rusty pipes, etc in the exhaust system (as Paul said "part of it is worn out"). As a result, lots of bits could be replaced or I go for a new stainless system. I am inclined to do the latter, but if I am spending that kind of money I want to do ir right. There is a local (southern Ontario) company that would make a new stainless system but I am not sure of the ins and outs of a locally made system like that. My main concern would be can it adversely affect the car in other ways like performance, etc.
I am double checking, but I think the cat converters are OK.
I think that as long as it is done well, a locally made system is likely to be far better financially compared to importing something from UK (though import from USA should be duty free and I see there may be US made systems that are suitable).
I am not in a hurry as my intention is to do this in the Spring when I take the car out of winter storage.
Bill
Southern Ontario
1992 XJS Coupe 4 litre "facelift"