XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fell in love with 1995 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fell in love with 1995 XJS

Hi, saw a white 1995 XJS driving down the road and for some reason just fell in love with it. Cant stop thinking about her since last few weeks. Looks like i am in love... even though i drive an brand new sedan.

Did some research and found out these may be white elephants and too expensive to maintain (average sales price i saw was around 10k which isnt much).....since this is a forum for Jag enthusiasts , i was wondering i can get some advise on how costly is it to maintain a 1995 Jag XJS if it currently checks out fine. I love the jag but dont want to take out a second mortgage to maintain it.

Thanks in advance !

Old 07-22-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I can assure you that a 95 XJS with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder is VERY inexpensive to maintain, IF, you can do minor maintenance yourself. I am a Jaguar enthusiast. I currently own 5 Jaguars. 2 of them have the 4.0 engine. A 95 XJS Convertible, and a 97 XJR. My wife drives the XJR as her daily driver. we have had it 3 years, and in those three years, we have put new tires on it, one crank sensor, and changed the oil several times. A extremely reliable car. We have only had the 95 XJS a few months, and look for it to be just a reliable, although we only use it a weekend pleasure car, so mileage will stay relatively low.

The following 3 users liked this post by superchargedtr6:
Flint Ironstag (07-26-2017), LuvmyXJS' (07-24-2017), rockfella (07-23-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 323 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm under my 95 right now. Talk about a car you can't kill. Yeah the suspension bearings just gave out, but it's got 180,000 miles and I treat it like a Honda. The AJ16 engine, and ancillaries, are decades more modern than my two V12s. The galvanized body is so much better than my earlier cars. Even beat to crap and with bad paint it's still a great shape for a car.

As fot price, with 103000 miles it was $3500, but that was probably 6-7 years ago. Prices are up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagsandmgs:
Flint Ironstag (07-26-2017), rockfella (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
I can assure you that a 95 XJS with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder is VERY inexpensive to maintain, IF, you can do minor maintenance yourself. I am a Jaguar enthusiast. I currently own 5 Jaguars. 2 of them have the 4.0 engine. A 95 XJS Convertible, and a 97 XJR. My wife drives the XJR as her daily driver. we have had it 3 years, and in those three years, we have put new tires on it, one crank sensor, and changed the oil several times. A extremely reliable car. We have only had the 95 XJS a few months, and look for it to be just a reliable, although we only use it a weekend pleasure car, so mileage will stay relatively low.
Thanks. I am even more excited reading about your experience ! btw, thats a lot of jags !

Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
I'm under my 95 right now. Talk about a car you can't kill. Yeah the suspension bearings just gave out, but it's got 180,000 miles and I treat it like a Honda. The AJ16 engine, and ancillaries, are decades more modern than my two V12s. The galvanized body is so much better than my earlier cars. Even beat to crap and with bad paint it's still a great shape for a car.

As fot price, with 103000 miles it was $3500, but that was probably 6-7 years ago. Prices are up.

Thats a lot of miles, good to hear its still going great. Do you use that in the winter weather too or just the summers?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I too, fell in love

Hi, saw a white 1995 XJS driving down the road and for some reason just fell in love with it. Cant stop thinking about her since last few weeks. Looks like i am in love... even though i drive an brand new sedan.
Rockfella, I like you, fell in love with the XJS on a chance meeting. I was looking for a fox body mustang and came across a 1990 V12 XJS and quickly forgot about getting the mustang. Why have a 5.0 V8, when you can have a V12? And like you, I was very, very nervous about taking the plunge, but with some diligent research and the help of this forum and others, I felt confident enough to take the plunge. I am not mechanically inclined, so the V12 made me nervous, but I'm willing to get my hands dirty.

Going into the purchase, I knew I'd have to spend a little, even on the best car I could find, to keep it maintained. And from all the people I've spoken too, if you maintain the car, keep up with its services on a regular basis, you'll be fine.

With my purchase, the fuel lines and rubber bushings needed to be replaced -- a little beyond my capabilities, so I found a Jag Only mechanic to do the service. The cost is not unreasonable given that the car is 27 years old and the with 31,000 miles on it. It was worth the risk.

I love driving this XJS -- there is nothing out there that looks like it and I always get a wave or a head nod when I'm driving it.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 323 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rockfella
Thats a lot of miles, good to hear its still going great. Do you use that in the winter weather too or just the summers?
It was my main car until one snowstorm the crank position sensor got wet and ended up having the car towed to work. It dried out and I could drive home but it was the end of daily driving it in snow storms! Snow tires and the first gear lock out these cars have made winter possible, but it was an excuse to get the new F250 I wanted

Old 07-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Jags have been my favorite for years. We currently own 4 XJSs, and the XJR. The 6 cylinder cars are definitely easier to maintain, less costly to operate. The V12 cars are a bit more interesting, but not really much more powerful than the 4.0 inline 6.