XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A few questions, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

3 years ago I was looking to replace front shocks and someone on the forum said Ford shocks would work I forget what model Ford car it was but I bought them and installed, would these shocks have any adverse effect on the alinement ?
I just remembered when I replaced shocks on passenger side the hole on fender well was rusted out so I installed over sized washers under and on top of the rusted out hole and I checked it a few minutes ago and it is tight cannot see that there has been any movement, could this be part of the problem ? if so do I need to have the washers welded in place or something different ?

After reading the replies I'm thinking any alinement shop should be able to set toe in/out as long as shims have not been mucked with, am I right or wrong ?

You guys have been a blessing to me as I know nothing about alinements.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
3 years ago I was looking to replace front shocks and someone on the forum said Ford shocks would work I forget what model Ford car it was but I bought them and installed, would these shocks have any adverse effect on the alinement ?

Nope

I just remembered when I replaced shocks on passenger side the hole on fender well was rusted out so I installed over sized washers under and on top of the rusted out hole and I checked it a few minutes ago and it is tight cannot see that there has been any movement, could this be part of the problem ? if so do I need to have the washers welded in place or something different ?

Your shocks won't make a difference. However, IF there's significant rust where any of the other suspension components attach, this might be a problem....as there's a chance such components are not securely and correctly positioned on the subframe.

After reading the replies I'm thinking any alinement shop should be able to set toe in/out as long as shims have not been mucked with, am I right or wrong ?

No shims involved with the toe settings; any shop should be able to do it, yes. But if there's any doubt that the camber and/or caster settings are not correct, then have a full alignment done

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,254 Likes on 5,435 Posts

3 years ago I was looking to replace front shocks and someone on the forum said Ford shocks would work I forget what model Ford car it was but I bought them and installed, would these shocks have any adverse effect on the alinement ? .
No

I just remembered when I replaced shocks on passenger side the hole on fender well was rusted out so I installed over sized washers under and on top of the rusted out hole and I checked it a few minutes ago and it is tight cannot see that there has been any movement, could this be part of the problem ? if so do I need to have the washers welded in place or something different ?.
The top of the shock should be secured in the inner wing using the factory-type washers and bushes. They should go, top to bottom: nut, flat washer, rubber bush, special dished washer [inner wing] special dished washer, rubber bush, flat washer. As in this diagram:

I am not clear how you have used the extra washer you mention; but a proper repair of the inner wing steel is a good idea. However even if the shock is poorly fixed at the top, none of this should affect alignment.

Toe is NOT affected by shimming, only camber and castor the values for which I gave in an earlier post. As shown in this diagram: the toe is adjusted by turning item number 13 as it is threaded into the balljoint at its end each side of the car (the balljoint is not numbered in the main diagram but shown separately as item 10 in the box below the main diagram), having first loosened locknut item 12.

If the camber or castor are off, the toe can still be adjusted to spec, even if once the camber and castor are corrected it will need doing again! It is also important to note that a decent laser alignment place can measure all of toe, camber and castor, and I suggest, if they measure either camber or castor as way out of spec, you post here with that data before the place does any adjustments other than toe. For example, if you have worn top suspension bushes this can cause mis-alignment. In this diagram the top suspension bushes are numbered 4 and 5, the castor shims (which control the fore and aft "tilt" of the hinge on which the front wheel turns) are numbered 11.

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-04-2017 at 11:12 AM.
macdoesit (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned

Greg and Doug, I can't express enough how helpful you are.
I made a printout of directions and diagrams, I will take these to alinement shop. In case they are intimidated by your directions and diagrams, so be it, I will find a shop that will follow your instructions.
Maybe they can learn something ?

I will take it to (Hibdon tires plus) first of next week.
Hibdon is a big outfit here, they have at least 7 locations here in the metroplex,
Hopefully they have the capacity to learn older Jag techniques ?

I don't know how to thank you all for your time, advise,instructions,etc.
If you lived near by I would treat you all and your families to the biggest all you can eat B-B-Q dinner you have ever had, B-B-Q is one thing I do very wellA few questions, need help-t92uhkr.jpgA few questions, need help-wnbrkia.jpgA few questions, need help-oiuekyt.jpg

and the Jag
A few questions, need help-paol5de.jpg

Last edited by macdoesit; 08-05-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 AM
Banned

Thanks JigJag

Last edited by macdoesit; 08-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

Imgur.com is a reliable image host that is unlikely to convert to a paid business model.

macdoesit (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JigJag
Imgur.com is a reliable image host that is unlikely to convert to a paid business model.

I deleted photobucket account. Still have all my photos on computer.
Thanks for the Imgur.com

Last edited by macdoesit; 08-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I deleted photobucket account. Still have all my photos on computer.
Thanks for the Imgur.com
I deleted my PB account too. I now upload pics to an album on Jaguarforums and copy the link to my post.