XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

First time Jag buyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

What you do is take out a permit to drive the car from Vic to Queensland, its done through Vicroads, costs very little and take note you will have no plates on the car. I did this last year and after all the stress and bother thinking every copper is going pull me up, we drove home without being even looked at once.
I drove mine from Melbourne to Canberra a 9 hour drive, no problem at all.
Take insurance out pior to driving back including breakdsown and go for it!
Do it it winter, and take some spare hose and clamps. Mine started leaking fuel 2/3rds of the way back, youcould smell it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Katoh:
orangeblossom (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Hi guys

I have just joined this forum. Been a jag enthusiast for years without ever actually owning one. Finally in a position to buy. Life long dream. Love many jags but the XJS is my favorite so I am seriously considering getting one but dont want to rush in with out any research. I live on the Sunshine Coast right near the beach so wanted to know your guys recommendations for an XJS in relation to where I live (V12's playing up in hotter climates, rust probs near the beach?), what year (70's 80's or 90s) , Engine type (V6, v12?) and basic things to look out for.

I want this car to be a daily driver and to basically cruise around the coast with it. Wouldnt mind joining a local jag club too and get involved.

I think the XJS looks best in Jag green also...thoughts?

Where do I start?

Your help is greatly appreciated...
Hi Paul

For Starters! what are you doing looking exactly like me!

We could be Twins! I thought that I was looking in a 'Mirror!' except that I am a bit older, though hopefully as good looking as yourself!

I've got the same Hat! We wear the same Shades! and We even wear the same Clothes!

I actually thought I was looking at my own photo!

I haven't put one up yet and now there is No Need!

But if you are thinking of Buying yourself an XJS, then hopefully you can learn from my mistakes! which I could never have ever put right without the help I've been given from all of the Guys on this Forum!

Unless you are very lucky enough to buy yourself a 'Cream Puff' then Trust me when I tell you, There will be Blood, lots of Sweat and also plenty of Tears!

As well as times you'll be kicking yourself for being so dang stupid for buying one of these Cars!

That's why I've also got a Merc as my daily driver, as in 10 years of ownership, no matter how much I abuse it, it never goes wrong! except for the odd little prob that takes a few minutes to fix.

The XJS is however a totally different 'Animal all together'

So let's just hope that you have got plenty of Money and or the Will to fix it, should She ever go wrong!

As this is a Car that can both Delight or Frustrate you, depending on what kind of mood this 'Diva' is in!

And what 'Greg' and 'Grant' and others don't know, you don't need to know!

Just make sure you are well tooled up, before you buy the Car!

In the form of a 3 ton Trolley Jack and preferably you want Two!
It's a Big Heavy Car!

Then of course you are going to need the obligatory Fire Extinguisher! which everyone seemed quite surprised that I hadn't got!

When a Stuck Brake Caliper, nearly turned my Car into a Fireball!

There is never a dull moment in owning an XJS!

In my own book the best Car on the Planet, that hopefully wont send you into Orbit (too many times!)

Buy the Best You can afford, or you will end up throwing money at it! and so its best to spend that from the 'get go'

Don't go and buy a Pre HE as this has got Carburetors, unless you've got some Shares in a Filling Station.

Do you want one with the 'Gothic' rear lights or the later 'Face Lift' Model

Then the most important decision of all The 6cyl or 12 cyl engine and though they may both look alike, as much as you and I do!

Apart from looks, they are both very different!

As while the Six is very frugal at around 28 mpg

The V12 can drink Petrol, like there is no Tomorrow! 15-19 mpg about max

My personal best so far is around 17 mpg if you drive around in Carpet Slippers!

Which you will not want to do for long!

So if you want a daily driver, then that's something to consider.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

ha ha ha. Thanks for the advice guys. That is a coincidence OrangeBlossom. I dont normally wear cold weather gear but that photo was from down in the Blue Mountains NSW on a winter holiday. The hat a mate brought back from York in the UK. Ha ha...small world.

Myself i have an electrical background, with a little mechanical experience. Sounds like it will be baptisim by fire.

In all honesty I just want to get one that works with minimal tinkering (if possible) as I do want it to be a daily driver.

However i do expect to get my hands dirty. Will be good for my eldest son who is a mad car enthusaist so we can use it for some bonding time.

So V12 vs V6, you think one is more reliable than the other? Most of what i have seen on offer around home appears to be the V12s. The V6 came later on right?

Im looking to spend between 10-15K in my country. Seems like for that price you can get a reasonable one before 1989 (1985 being the most common), non-convertible version.

What year did the HE start?

orangeblossom (07-15-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

It's an IL6 (inline not "V") and I own the 6 in my X300 and the V-12 in my XJS and for occasional use I much prefer the V-12 for it's smoothness and generally who doesn't like sporting a V-12 badge on their car? For daily use the 6 is probably way more economical and less troublesome over the long haul.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
orangeblossom (07-15-2014), paulyling (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

ha ha ha. Thanks for the advice guys. That is a coincidence OrangeBlossom. I dont normally wear cold weather gear but that photo was from down in the Blue Mountains NSW on a winter holiday. The hat a mate brought back from York in the UK. Ha ha...small world.

Myself i have an electrical background, with a little mechanical experience. Sounds like it will be baptisim by fire.

In all honesty I just want to get one that works with minimal tinkering (if possible) as I do want it to be a daily driver.

However i do expect to get my hands dirty. Will be good for my eldest son who is a mad car enthusaist so we can use it for some bonding time.

So V12 vs V6, you think one is more reliable than the other? Most of what i have seen on offer around home appears to be the V12s. The V6 came later on right?

Im looking to spend between 10-15K in my country. Seems like for that price you can get a reasonable one before 1989 (1985 being the most common), non-convertible version.

What year did the HE start?
Hi Paul (or is it Pauly?)

I think the HE started in 1981 and with the kind of money that you have to spend you could pick up a nice one.

Although I've also got a 6 cylinder XJS (1995) this is a car that nowadays I very seldom use, as once you've driven a V12 there is no going back, even though the Cost of fuel in the (UK) is horrendous!

The first time that I filled her up Cost £126! and no exaggeration to say that I am regularly spending £150-£200 per week! Just on Petrol alone!

And this Car isn't even my daily driver! Its just for nice Sunny days and Tripping about!

So if you ever want a small fortune, then its always best to start with a large one!

Like: £400 on a couple of tyres/tires.

Plus Circa: £250 on all new parts for the Brakes.

The list goes on but I don't want to bore you.

I've had my Share of problems, that almost drove me to drink but once you get it sorted, its a very reliable Car except of course that the prospect of rust is never that far away.

Make sure its got a long MOT or whatever you have where you are and if it were me, I would get another one done before money changed hands.

There are lots of rubber bushes in the Suspension, so do make sure that they are all good, or the labour for doing the job plus the parts, is likely to cost an eye watering sum to put right.

Unless you think you can do it yourself, in which case you could end up kicking yourself for buying this kind of a car.

Also check the Rotors on the inboard rear disc brakes, as if the Rotors need replacing, then you will have to drop the IRS in the cage that is under the Car, which is a job that I will shortly have to do myself.

From my own personal point of view, Full Main Dealer Service History is an absolute must, as at least it shows the Car has been looked after.

The Tyres/Tires had also better be good, as they are very expensive to replace, as is the Exhaust.

Getting back to your Photo, You look even more like me, than I do!

So tell me that's a 'Kangol' Hat and that will make my day!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM

ha ha ha. I had a brown kangol the other day but gave it to my brother as i didnt think it suited my noggin. nah the hat i got in the photo isnt a kangol.

thanks for the advice man. Petrol sounds expensive in the UK though! wow.

Yeah i went from a family car 6 cylinder to a little 4 cylinder and the difference really annoyed me. I think a V12 would be nice. Chances are its what ill get as the seem to be more common than the 6.

I am still really loving the darker paint jobs on the XJS and also silver. Seen a nice example the other day but it was in yellow. Not really a fan. What colours are your guys?

orangeblossom (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member

ha ha ha. I had a brown kangol the other day but gave it to my brother as i didnt think it suited my noggin. nah the hat i got in the photo isnt a kangol.

thanks for the advice man. Petrol sounds expensive in the UK though! wow.

Yeah i went from a family car 6 cylinder to a little 4 cylinder and the difference really annoyed me. I think a V12 would be nice. Chances are its what ill get as the seem to be more common than the 6.

I am still really loving the darker paint jobs on the XJS and also silver. Seen a nice example the other day but it was in yellow. Not really a fan. What colours are your guys?
Hi Paul

Colour is all down to personal taste but since I suffer from OCD there was a time when I had a fleet of XJS's in most of the primary Colours.

All of them Taxed and all Insured, so I could drive a different one, every day of the Week!

Absolutely Crazy I know but I'm an XJS Petrol Head in need of Professional Counseling!

So whatever Colour floats your boat and doesn't show the dust like some Colours do, or you will be forever cleaning the dang thing, even when She doesn't really need it.

The best one to choose is the Colour that makes you go WOW! and if you're anything like me, which you are not, 'as you could be my Double! (Ha!)'

Then I think you will know it the moment you see it, it's that kind of a Car, the one that has you reaching for your Cheque book far too soon for your own good.

But they are not everyone's cup of Tea as if they go wrong in a big enough way, (leaking radiator) (broken oil cooler) (master cylinder playing up) then it is almost an 'out of body experience!'

So when you run out of 'Swear Words' you'll be making up some of your own!

After anyone buys a Car, especially one like this, some people have a Compulsive urge to go and replace the Brake Pads, as this Car can fly like a Rocket! so of course you will want it to STOP!

And if that description applies to yourself, then this is the moment that you could be walking on 'Quicksand!'

When changing the Brake Pads on this Car, you 'MUST' undo the bleed nipples on the Calipers, as in the event you do anything (like levering the Brake Pads Back) that results in sending brake fluid back up to the Master Cylinder, 'You Could Do Some Serious Damage!'

Unless of course you get 'turned on' by spending £1,000 on a replacement, if you could manage to find one! which could be just as difficult, as trying to Win the Lottery, on Roll over week!

So you would have to fix it yourself, which won't exactly be a piece of Cake!

But when its running right, then its amazing!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-14-2014 at 03:18 AM.
paulyling (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 AM

thanks again for all the advice. Wow how many XJS you own?

orangeblossom (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

Make sure its got a long MOT or whatever you have where you are and if it were me, I would get another one done before money changed hands.
Queensland has the best,or the worst RWC(Road Worthy Certificate) system ever. It is a one-off system where the seller has to supply a RWC if the car is being sold registered,or you obtain your own if buying an unregistered car before you can register it. It is quite strict as in on fluid leaks at all ....., You need the RWC to transfer the vehicle into your name,once it is in your name you drive it as long as you own it without having it looked at again.
So it is up to you keep your car road worthy. But there are some real **** boxes on the road that shouldn't even be driven.
The last time my jeep had any kind of inspection was 1997. Although I it would pass RWC any day as I keep it that way, a lot of people here just drive until it stops then fix what is broken.
Other states make you get a RWC every year,in NZ it is 6 monthly.

I find when buying used vehicles colour is not usually a choice you have as you are mostly going to buy the best car for your money which leaves you very few colour options. Once you get to know the car you'll get used to the colour.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (07-14-2014), paulyling (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

thanks again for all the advice. Wow how many XJS you own?
Hi Paul

3 X XJS V12 Convertibles 1 X XJS 6 cyl Convertible 2 X XJS V12 Coupes

I used to have 10 altogether but some of them had to go as I ran out of space.

paulyling (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,074 Likes on 1,715 Posts

That's just greedy!

orangeblossom (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Sorry guys posted in the wrong thread so this is a nothing post.

below is where the was supposed to go.(and has gone)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-paper-121794/

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-22-2014 at 08:36 AM.