XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

First V12, First tune up

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First V12, First tune up

Just purchased a Burgundy 92 XJS. 76k miles. It runs great and shifts smooth. Everything seems to be in good working condition (except a/c) I'd like to keep it off the road for a couple weeks while I perform a good tune up and I need some suggestions from you veterans... Here's a list of some of the things I'll be doing and some questions to go along.

-Oil change (what brand and weight do you like to run?)
-Cap and Rotor (reliable brands?) I'd like to avoid any fires. This car is hot enough
-Radiator Flush (any process tips?)
-Thermostat change (what temp/brand? I've seen two different kinds) keep in mind I live in Texas
-Fuel Filter
-Air filters
-Belts
-Tranny filter and flush (is it easily accessible?)
-Fuel hoses
-EGR valve clean
-Brake job (easy enough or nightmare waiting?)

I just need answers to the ones with questions or suggestions on more to do while i'm at it. I appreciate any input

Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Need a little more info 1992 is the facelift model is yours 5.3 or 6.0L, some of the 6.0L had a version of Fords EDIS so do not have distributors.

Check in the V to see if it has a distributor if so it will be Marelli ignition. I pulled my cap and rotor a couple of months ago and they were good just gave the rotor a clean and put it back together.

I would pull the plugs and check them especially the hard to get to ones under the AC compressor.

Brakes should be a snap as it will have outboard rear disks.

I would not bother replacing the thermostats unless you have an overheating issue and everything else has been done first.

Does it overheat? if so I would pull the radiator and have it rodded or recored, if not I would drive it no point in fixing something that is not broken, you can create more issues than you solve.

I use Nulon oil cant remember what weight but it was as per the book. Be prepared to buy a lot it holds 10-12L from memory.

The following users liked this post:
AsherDaze (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,988 Likes on 7,215 Posts

Originally Posted by AsherDaze

-Oil change (what brand and weight do you like to run?)

Assuming a V12 engine you want 20/50. Any name brand is OK in my book.

-Cap and Rotor (reliable brands?) I'd like to avoid any fires. This car is hot enough

Again assuming you have a 5.3 V12 you'll have Marelli ignition. The genuine Marelli cap is out of production. As of a year or so ago the genuine Marelly rotor was still available from Jaguar. I've seen three aftermarket caps all made by the same [unknown] manufacturer but sold under different labels

-Radiator Flush (any process tips?)

Are you familiar with the bleeding procedure?

-Thermostat change (what temp/brand? I've seen two different kinds) keep in mind I live in Texas

82ºC or 88ºC....you decide :-). The V12s 'stats are unique. Can't use a generic. Get one from a Jag vendor who knows what to sell. "Waxstat" is OEM...and what I'd ask for, personally.

-Tranny filter and flush (is it easily accessible?)

Dropping the pan means dropping the exhaust so plan on extra time :-)

-Fuel hoses

Good! 12 injector hoses plus the supply and return hoses, right ?

-EGR valve clean

I never knew the V12 had an EGR back in '92! Learn sumthin' new every day !

-Brake job (easy enough or nightmare waiting?)

Fronts are easy. Rears are easy if only pads are being replaced. If you need calipers and rotors it's a big project. BIG project :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
AsherDaze (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Yes it's a 5.3 with a distributor. I've read the link on this site to "accessing the V" and plan to go that route to reach everything. No overheating problems. I just thought it would be nice to get most of the preventative maintenance out of the way before i turn this car into my daily driver. I see your point though. Thank you for a quick response. Any other suggestions on the tune up?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for breaking it all down for me Doug. Your responses are always so helpful. It might not have an egr lol. I'm sure you know WAY more than I. To answer your question, no i do not know the bleeding procedure. Do inform me And I'm not sure about all the hoses. If I remember correctly I didn't see hoses to the injectors but I may be wrong. I thought 92 was the year they stopped using the hoses. Thanks again Doug!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hoses: Might be that I'm wrong, not you. I forgot that the injector hoses were eventually eliminated. Not sure when. If you have 'em they're only about 1.75" long at each injector.

I posted a bleed procedure. It's in the archives somewhere. A search with "cooling system bleed" as keywords oughta do it.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
Brakes should be a snap as it will have outboard rear disks.

That was more like 1994 or so, not 1992 :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Dangit

Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Sorry - Doug is right it was 1993 that the rears went outboard

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AsherDaze
If I remember correctly I didn't see hoses to the injectors but I may be wrong.
Check under the fuel rail for a very short hose. The later cars used a different fuel rail with shorter hoses to the injectors.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks Warrjon

Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

asher,

looks like a good round of tune-ups for your new car.

do you have an idea of what the budget will be like for the whole list? am thinking about picking up a similarly aged v12, and am wondering what i should budget to feel comfortable with it as a daily-ish driver.

DS

Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel Rail hoses

I also have a 92 XJS and the fuel rail sits directly on top of the injectors, as such it eliminates the short fuel lines that would always dry out and leak. My 90 has the short fuel lines and they are stiff and need replacement. Be sure and flush the cooling system to remove any sort of "krud" that may have found a home in there. I also had an overheating problem which ended up being bad thermostats. Fortunately I was able to get generic "stats" from AutoZone and replace my old ones. By the way AsherDaze, you will love having an XJS as they have such class and are frequently mistaken for a Ferrari until someone gets closer and then they drool on your car. Carry a quality rag to wipe off the drool. Burgundy is a beautiful color for an XJS. As to doing a radiator flush, I pulled my radiator out of the car to be sure it was done right. That may be a bit "over the top" but you NEVER want to overheat one of these cars. If you can, post some pix so we can see your new "delight".

Last edited by Schoe; 11-23-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

failsafe is a really good thermostat brand. if they take a dump on you, they fail open, instead of closed.