XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front parking sensors for facelift bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hello guys,

I have been looking for a sensor for my front bumper for a long time. The first time I had the car repainted and the bumper fixed, it took me exactly 1 week to hook it somewhere and tear it up, now that the car is being repainted again, the bumper is getting fixed again. I found these old battery operated backup sensors and I am going to install them on the front eyelets. They came out several years ago and are probably outdated, but what sold me is that they don't need to be wired into the electrical system and work of the lighter or batteries. They are meant as reverse sensors but can be placed anywhere :

Parking Sensor JML V1665 | eBay

I don't think they where ever sold in the US, so I am getting them from England

These are so cheap I am going to get them anyway, but if anyone has another solution let me know. I own 3 cars and drive them all regularly. I tend to forget that in the xjs backup parking is the way to go.
There's nothing better for the protection and the integrity/life of the facelift XJS front bumper's very low spoiler than a proximity sensor as used on back up warning systems.

I have a 12 year-old after market back up warning system (installed out front for this project) on my facelift XJS, but which I recently removed from the car in order to install my new lower mesh grille. The system uses the car's 12 volt supply and a sonalert (bell?) for warning; it mounts across the top of a license plate, with quite precise sensitivity adjustments down to inches from the target.

It really does the job, especially with those dreaded, spoiler-destroying concrete blocks at the top of parking stalls. I've set it to give me the "final warning" no less than 8" from it, or 5" with a slower approach. It also works with those pronounced "dips" at some intersections that force you to do a rather slow approach: no bells? Guaranteed no damage. Once you know exactly what the device does and how it does it, you're able to play with it until you get exactly the "coverage" that you want.

As electronic equipment gets more and more sophisticated without cost increases, some of these devices have become obsolete and today's replacement are physically very different, some even with cockpit LCD screen control panel. This one I have is no longer manufactured, but the proximity sensors in any newer device will come separate from the main control circuit, meaning they're smaller pieces that you can work into the spoiler area, in an inconspicuous spot.

Now I need to figure how/where I will re-install mine.

Cheers,

Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Reversing/Parking sensors

Last fall, I too purchased the other set of FOUR Reversing Sensors Kit for &14.95 from the same supplier. It arrived from UK to Canada for only $9.00 shipping.
I still have not installed the system, fully plan to in the spring. The sensors come in various colours, I chose flat black to match the bumper. The kit even comes with the proper size hole saw.
I know some purists will utter "Wussy" at the thought of not parking by eagle-eyeing or by knowing the exact parameters of my XJS size. I find the car's rear fenders curving inward just enough that you cannot see the bumper tips, and the convertible roof is high enough to hide the trunk cover also. I am just classy enough not to duct-tape flags on sticks on the bumpers.

They appear very simple to install, only one wire feeding into the back-up light, one to ground. The buzzer can be double sided taped anywhere out of sight. The four sensors plug into a harness behind the bumper with only one wire feeding into the trunk.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, what about just using a backup video camera system? Maybe one in front and one in back. Use a switch to select which one to display or get a video monitor that can display both video feeds.
I've gotten some decent units via ebay for $45 or less.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddrods
Well Flint, not everyone of us can have the awesome ability to never make the occasional mistake like yourself. But for those times when they do happen to me it would be nice to have a little extra reminder. I am glad that Lenoat702 is having fun with his car. It takes a special person to not follow the crowds. You should be praising him for going against the norm and not buying a Camaro, Mustang or any of the "cookie cutter" Japanese cars that all the other kids drive. It's arrogant, condescending comments like yours that give this hobby a black eye.
totally agree with ya

Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been monitoring this thread for the last seven or eight months hoping for a solution to the, to me, very real problem of constantly damaging the front spoiler on my '95 XJS.

There have been several posts where people say they are about to try using various back-up systems, sensors or cameras, to solve the problem, but no feedback on how it actually worked.

So, if anyone has actually installed something I would love to hear how it worked out, what brand/model you used, and anything else that would be helpful!

B.T.W.: Has anyone looked at or used electromagnetic sensors like these No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor or these electromagnetic car parking sensor,car ABS bumper protection,wide range detection,no dead angle,no drill,no hole!,far away metal-in Special Store from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com ?

The upside, to me, would be that there are no holes to drill in hte bumper.The downside is that you have to be moving, albeit slowly, for them to get a reading.