XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front & Rear Suspension Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front & Rear Suspension Parts

I have completed most of the electrical and lighting upgrades and now I am looking for advice as to what shocks, springs and suspension parts I should get and have replaced.
Regards,

Old 12-11-2023, 04:54 PM
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick 1989 XJS
I have completed most of the electrical and lighting upgrades and now I am looking for advice as to what shocks, springs and suspension parts I should get and have replaced.
Regards,
I like to browse Moss motors to see what kind of parts are available. They offer some parts diagrams to look at.
https://mossmotors.com/jaguar-xjs/suspension-steering

The following users liked this post:
Mguar (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Regards,
What are your plans for the car? If you want just OEM ride and handling, then all the rubber parts should be inspected and changed if needed, and the shocks also. If something else, what do you have in mind?
Checking the rear suspension bottom wishbone for play in its inner and outer fulcrum bearings is also important for proper handling and cornering.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (12-13-2023), roman_mg (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 03:46 AM
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I feel like this question might belong here. What springs for XJS V12 (Hess&Eisenhardt) ? All of them (I have a third set) get "tired" after one season and the car sags, especially in the front, and the ground clearance of the car decreases. Very unpleasant due to the "sticking" catalytic converters. I have always taken springs from SNG. I feel like I read somewhere that the DB7 springs are satisfactory and better (harder), but I don't want to experiment with a fourth set

Old 12-12-2023, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Roman
All springs settle, Jaguar provide shim rings in a hard plastic, all you need to do is to insert a few to adjust the ride height. Part number C41271.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (12-13-2023), roman_mg (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 07:24 AM
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you for answer. I know, I have spacer rings on the springs, but it seems to me that the drop (fatigue) of the springs is too great after maybe a year. About 1-2 cm compared to the condition when the new ones were installed. Maybe it's because the Hess is heavier because of all the iron they put in it in the US after cutting off the roof.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:53 AM

Thank you for the ideas. I am planning on replacing all rubber, plastic, bearings shocks and springs. I like a smooth medium stiffness. I don't want to be bouncing around. Tight and responsive steering and breaking. I don't need to replace any of the main structure just parts that can get worn out after 30 years or so on some parts. any particular springs and shock brands and part numbers for the front and rear? I did have a DB7 and now I have a DB9 the springs and the entire handling of the cars are amazing especially racing around the Aston Martin racing track in England.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

In that case I suggest standard springs and adjustable GAZ shocks all round, and if you can get it 0.5° of negative camber on the rear wheels, which is about the max you can get by removing all the shims.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Doug (12-13-2023), Grant Francis (12-13-2023), roman_mg (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Thank you for the ideas. I am planning on replacing all rubber, plastic, bearings shocks and springs. I like a smooth medium stiffness. I don't want to be bouncing around. Tight and responsive steering and breaking. I don't need to replace any of the main structure just parts that can get worn out after 30 years or so on some parts. any particular springs and shock brands and part numbers for the front and rear? I did have a DB7 and now I have a DB9 the springs and the entire handling of the cars are amazing especially racing around the Aston Martin racing track in England.
FWIW....

These cars respond well to minor changes. My "formula" is original springs with an up-sized front anti-roll bar, adding a rear anti-roll bar, firm shocks, plenty of negative camber at both ends, plenty of positive caster in the front, poly rack bushings. This yields a significant improvement in steering/cornering feel with very little increase in ride stiffness.

I'm presently running Bilstein B6 shocks in front and Boge in the rear.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
FWIW....

These cars respond well to minor changes. My "formula" is original springs with an up-sized front anti-roll bar, adding a rear anti-roll bar, firm shocks, plenty of negative camber at both ends, plenty of positive caster in the front, poly rack bushings. This yields a significant improvement in steering/cornering feel with very little increase in ride stiffness.

I'm presently running Bilstein B6 shocks in front and Boge in the rear.

Cheers
DD
I would think tires would get an honorable mention as well no?

Old 12-13-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseOHJ
I would think tires would get an honorable mention as well no?

Indeed.

But "tires" is a big topic. I was sticking to suspension stuff.....although it can be accurately argued that tires are part of the suspension

We'll see where the discussion takes us.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-13-2023, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Indeed.

But "tires" is a big topic. I was sticking to suspension stuff.....although it can be accurately argued that tires are part of the suspension

We'll see where the discussion takes us.

Cheers
DD
I plan on keeping my future Jag as original as possible. To me thats where the value sits. I want it to float like a magic carpet.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:52 PM

Thank you for all of the great options. I will definitely use the suggestion listed in the thread for the car. Can the shocks come pre-loaded? I do agree we should talk about tires. The original tires were Pirelli P600 235/60 VR 15 (t/less). I have a list of recommended maintenance items to be perform on the car at different dates or milage, I got the manual online I think from Jag Forums & Web Links/Repair. My dad did all of the regular maintenance items like hoses, wiring harness, fluinds, tune-ups, Etc. A Lot of the deep maintenance items In the recommended maintenance manual I don't think my father performed and I would like get all of the detailed items fixed. based on the age of the car and lack of detailed maintenance The instructions have you replacing and flushing all fluids, filters hosed, belts, sensors, suspension, gaskets, bushings, rubber pads brake cable, disks & rotors, uni joints grease nipples, etc. any suggestions as to if all this work needs to be performed? I can see that some of the items in the list have already been performed. Do the wheel hub bearings ned to be replaced or just greased? Since the breaks are off should the diff output shaft seals be replaced?