XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel hose(s) question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 07:39 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Fuel hose(s) question

Greetings everyone,

On Friday, I joined - finally - the XJS owners club with a 1992 V12 5.3L convertible. It is a pearler: glacier white with a dark brown hood. I will share pictures and details very soon (when I have some nice weather for photos, etc). First impression: Wow, why didn't I join this club sooner; this car is amazing! The XJS has the same power and awe factor of my primrose Daimler Double Six 6.0L. But the XJS possesses a degree of grace, glamour, and elegance that, in my opinion, exceed the stately Daimler.

I will do some obvious preventive maintenance (coolant hoses, replace header tank with an aluminium one as the original one is rusted; fuel hoses, transmission filter + + + etc) as the car has sat for roughly 12 months to 18 months).

One of the previous owners (I am number 3) replaced one of the longer fuel lines with what looks like an "upgraded" nitrile rubber with zinc plated wire hose. After seeing this, two thoughts came to mind.

Has anyone ever replaced the two hoses between the fuel rails with a 5/16th nitrile rubber with zinc plated wire hose (like the image above)? Can it be done; has anyone attempted it; would it be effective, would the standard jubilee or worm drive clips work with this type of hose? I am curious as I recently replaced the two connecting hoses on my Daimler with "standard" 5/16th hoses.

The other thought that came to my mind was: should I replace this "upgrade" with an original-style hose as I have never read anything about upgrading fuel hoses/lines on an XJS with this material.

Photos, and many questions, I am sure, to follow.

Charles

Old 04-19-2021, 07:41 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

One photo . . .

The following users liked this post:
Jag Punter (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,532 Likes on 661 Posts

Typically, the maker of the hose will tell you what attachment method you should use. As a general rule, the stainless steel braided hoses require an aeroquip style connector that threads into the hose as well as a retaining nut that compresses the whole kit together. It's a good idea to use the hose and fittings from the same supplier; some have different specs.

I'd probably remove the braided and replace with standard EFI hose and EFI clamps.

For reference, I have attached a picture of the braided steel hoses I used on my MGB when I upgraded the engine and went to fuel injection. The black fittings in the picture are the correct type to use with braided hoses.

Geewhite (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:30 AM
Received 10,478 Likes on 6,919 Posts

Yep, standard EFI hose and clamps.

Yours has the later fuel rail, and far less hoses than the earlier 5.3, which is a bonus.

You did it OK on the Daimler, same rail here, so I would stay with that.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this car listed on the various pre-owned vehicle websites in HK? I don't recall seeing it listed, as I've been looking lately for a pre-X350 saloons and there aren't many left in our city. It seems quite a few of these '90s Jags have sat unused for the past year.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlesHK
Greetings everyone,

On Friday, I joined - finally - the XJS owners club with a 1992 V12 5.3L convertible. It is a pearler: glacier white with a dark brown hood. I will share pictures and details very soon (when I have some nice weather for photos, etc). First impression: Wow, why didn't I join this club sooner; this car is amazing! The XJS has the same power and awe factor of my primrose Daimler Double Six 6.0L. But the XJS possesses a degree of grace, glamour, and elegance that, in my opinion, exceed the stately Daimler.

I will do some obvious preventive maintenance (coolant hoses, replace header tank with an aluminium one as the original one is rusted; fuel hoses, transmission filter + + + etc) as the car has sat for roughly 12 months to 18 months).

One of the previous owners (I am number 3) replaced one of the longer fuel lines with what looks like an "upgraded" nitrile rubber with zinc plated wire hose. After seeing this, two thoughts came to mind.

Has anyone ever replaced the two hoses between the fuel rails with a 5/16th nitrile rubber with zinc plated wire hose (like the image above)? Can it be done; has anyone attempted it; would it be effective, would the standard jubilee or worm drive clips work with this type of hose? I am curious as I recently replaced the two connecting hoses on my Daimler with "standard" 5/16th hoses.

The other thought that came to my mind was: should I replace this "upgrade" with an original-style hose as I have never read anything about upgrading fuel hoses/lines on an XJS with this material.

Photos, and many questions, I am sure, to follow.

Charles
No that is not the right hose. You MUST use fuel injection hose rated for high pressure. The hose you posted looks nice but it's just regular fuel hose. The spec here in the USA is SAE J30R14. In the UK use a hose like
COHLINE 2240 R9.

My impression is the crossover hose is 3/8 or 9mm. You also should use the proper clamps. Dont use Jubilee clamps. Use the crimp style OEtinker hose clamps of the right size.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:07 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Nitrile rubber is not the best choice to hot eng compartment environment, it will age quicker than expected. As mentioned above, be very careful with hoses on fuel injection. Use only hoses which are build for pressure, i would say they must have internal reinforcement layers. (if made of rubber) Teflon hoses with steel braided professional hoses are different story and they need correct fittings too.

Choosing correct hose is not always easiest task, world is full of different hoses with different specs.

Last edited by FinCat; 04-30-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,251 Likes on 5,433 Posts

My view is that Gates barricade fuel injector hose is pretty well the best. e.g.
Amazon Amazon

I do not like braided hoses, as you cannot see if they are giving up internally, whereas nrmal hose you can see if it is starting to bulge or fail.
Just measure the ID required (from the barb or the old hose) and order it up.

Grant Francis (04-30-2021)