XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

fuel leak near fuel cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fuel leak near fuel cooler

hello all I have a 90 xjs with 130k miles on it and im looking for advice. The car has been driving great and I am currently using it as a dd as I do some suspension work on my truck. I have already redone much of the fuel and ignition system to get it running right however i have not done the fuel return or supply fuel line to the fuel rail. I currently have a fuel leak at the fitting between that hose and the fuel cooler. I do have the right hose on hand so I could easily just replace that one section however the hose coming out of the fuel cooler and going into the firewall does not look so great either so I figured it would be best to just bypass the fuel cooler and run the hose directly to the barb on the firewall as im not to fond of the ac system on this car anyways.

does anyone know the diameter of the hose going from the fuel cooler to the firewall?

has anyone yanked the ac compressor, fuel cooler, and air pump. Anything terribly difficult about it and how easy do the exhaust manifold come off? I would ideally like to pull all that stuff and the upper cats. emissions is not a problem.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

I did the air pump delete and sealed the thing nicely, you can tap the covers on the engine abd then put a set screw in it. See relevant link:
Removing The Air Rails

will be doing AC/cooler removal and rerouting fuel lines to a Not-Peice-of-**** fuel pressure regulator soon. You can also delete the gigantic carbon capture spaghetti and canister located front driverside wheel well behind the panel. All in total that has got to be like 60lb of crap you can get rid of.

I've been looking for a compact electric compressor to put in the front wheel/bulkhead deadspace to retain AC, I may just buy a small walmart AC unit and try the compressor out of that along with some creative plumbing.

The following users liked this post:
cdabc123 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts
Smile

will be doing AC/cooler removal and rerouting fuel lines to a Not-Peice-of-**** fuel pressure regulator soon. You can also delete the gigantic carbon capture spaghetti and canister located front driverside wheel well behind the panel. All in total that has got to be like 60lb of crap you can get rid of

lol

Old 04-01-2020, 04:59 PM

thanks for the link. I just finished replacing the leaking hose and fuel filter but left everything else untouched. the hose coming out of the fuel cooler is still in need of replacement so I am still looking for the size of those. also would it be worth throwing a aluminum fin fuel cooler with possibly a small fan in the boot if I do end up bypassing the under hood one?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by cdabc123

does anyone know the diameter of the hose going from the fuel cooler to the firewall?

5/16" or 3/8"

Sorry I can't remember for sure

It doesn't actually go the to the firewall. It goes towards the firewall and the under the body of the car

Cheers
DD

Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

A fuel cooler isn't necessary IF your fuel filter is located in the trunk where it rightly belongs. The last iteration of the V12 had no cooler, it was added to eliminate vapourization etc but the morons Learned Gentlemen & Scholars who engineered the car never thought about moving the filter out of the engine bay until much later. Quite frankly that is a massive fire hazard to.

Depending on your engine's arrangement fuel lines may run close to cam covers, exhaust etc and this isn't ideal but yoir doing the work so you can move everything off.

I'd suggest looking at insulated hose sleeves, you can ger a nice roll of it with tidy velcro to keep it wrapped up if fuel temps are a concern.

cdabc123 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Good 5/16th FI rated fuel hose... Following sound advice I mostly look for Gates brand...

Also following sound advice here I deleted the incoming FPR and left the out going ONLY. And bypassed the cooler with a nice long stretch of that hose to the fire wall like you plan...

Removing all the tubing in the VEE and air pump (leaving the plumbing as it goes under the engine) was a first order of business and like the smart Brother above said,,, just fill holes with set screws.

cdabc123 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 PM

good to know on the cooler. Im probably going to replace the other hose then leave it for abit till I get my truck back going. when I get to messing with it again I will probably remove the ac and air system.

anyone know a decent way to address the fuel pressure regulation system? The one on this car is vacuum based correct?

I really want to pull the upper cats off but that's going to take some fabrication. I also was tempted to cut off some of the exhaust to make the car more vocal but honestly the stock system is still kinda growing me so idk if I can bring myself to do it. Has anyone done any exhaust mods that have came out well?

Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

I've got gutted cats with side exits and in-line high flow mufflers, it is very pleasing at a rolling idle (growls like an actual Jaguar cat) and a riveting V12 ferrari rasp at high RPM like the race cars, you can look on youtube for that. I made the mistake of tossing my rear resonators I strongly recommend keeping those! - my suggestion/personal opinion would be to gut the CATS and delete the large horrible mufflers and go with an Xpipe. You'll feel more horsepower to as the XJS exhaust is terribly restrictive.

Fuel pressure, havn't got there yet on my car but intend to, most people take the step of adding an in-line pressure gauge which is helpful, some use after market regulators to manually and permanently ensure the pressure I know Ron has one?

Here are some fun exhaust videos

Turn volume way up on my video

Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

Isn't the line from the cooler a return back to the tank?

Old 04-02-2020, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by brinny
It is Brinny, and upstream of the cooler is the B bank FPR which controls the injector rail pressure..

Old 04-02-2020, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brinny
It is...

Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cdabc123
good to know on the cooler. Im probably going to replace the other hose then leave it for abit till I get my truck back going. when I get to messing with it again I will probably remove the ac and air system.

anyone know a decent way to address the fuel pressure regulation system? The one on this car is vacuum based correct?

I really want to pull the upper cats off but that's going to take some fabrication. I also was tempted to cut off some of the exhaust to make the car more vocal but honestly the stock system is still kinda growing me so idk if I can bring myself to do it. Has anyone done any exhaust mods that have came out well?
I recently got my hands on 2 downpipes from the UK and, this is going to sound bad, I don't know the difference. I didn't drive the car much with what I had prior to the cat-less set up so, lol, honestly, I don't have a before and after understanding.

Two bungs for O2 sensors welded in.

Getting OE downpipes made it an easy thing.

They were a little hard to find but not to bad

Tried a Walker downpipe and something about it wasn't right and it hung down tooo low compared to the OE.

Still have middle exhausts and the rear... Been driving her a little bit MORE lately and I think she sounds great. Really. Just great! Since driving more some bugs have been popping up, to be expected, but I am pleased pleased.

I think your going in the right direction simplifying things only,,, I don't know your climate but what I understand is that they are hot running cars and an AC is needed. Just a thought

Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
I think your going in the right direction simplifying things only,,, I don't know your climate but what I understand is that they are hot running cars and an AC is needed. Just a thought
100% agree. A V12 XJS is undriveable in hot weather without the aircon!

Old 04-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
100% agree. A V12 XJS is undriveable in hot weather without the aircon!
Pffft. Its not so bad, just imagine your driving a 1890's steam locomotive! Hell the center ski slope can double as a hotplate for your drive-thru food.

The following 2 users liked this post by VancouverXJ6:
Bez74 (04-03-2020), Greg in France (04-02-2020)