XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel lines in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 05:15 AM
Received 10,517 Likes on 6,947 Posts

Brad,

That Blue wire is the battery +ve cross link.

All Jags from the Early XJ Sedans, and XJ-S have them. It is used to transfer battery oomph from the RH side to the LH side. Those "bolts" are studs. with nuts inside the car on each side, where they take the HOT volts from for all the inside goodies.

Marelli came about July 1989, and is based on Vin #. It depends on the market, and the actual build date, NOT the countries compliance date.

My HE was built in 5/1985, but complied in Australis in 1/1986, but it is a 1985 car in any Parts system, and makes perfect sense. Shipping from the UK takes ??time, then Red Tape takes ??time, and before ya know it, 6 months are gone.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Back again from my new second home at the junkyard. Today I got the AAV off the re-found XJS along with the RH tail light lens (I already have the left hand side), the flash shield from the distributor. Both of the '89's are definitely Lucas ignition cars.
As I was leaving I noticed a new XJS, '86 Cabriolet. The car was really crunched from behind and it had an engine fire (surprise) as well. Interior is all there though. Cream colored.
If I had the time and money I could go into the V12 coffee table business. lol

Too bad about the champagne colored car. When I first saw it it was in a restorable condition but not anymore. They really beat it up moving it around with the fork lift and someone has taken a lot of parts off the car already.

Any recommendations on specific parts I should try to get as spares for just in case situations somewhere down the road.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 10,517 Likes on 6,947 Posts

Brad,

That list would reach from your place to mine, and probably back again.

Anything inside the cabin electrically related, such as Climate relays etc, any other relays you can see, switches, any and all, puddle lamp lenses, trip computer, and the Interface in the boot, along with whatever is salvageable in the boot.

Engine bay, fire screws a couple of things, the EFI resistor pack should be OK, as would some other electrickery. distributor, even if burnt, the base etc should still be OK, and the Ign Amp itself. TPS is probably toast, but?? The 90deg hose that travels from the aircleaner backing to the Inlet of the AAV is NLA, it might have survived.

Its the little things, mainly trimming etc, and electrical that are getting NLA.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 PM

this car didn't have an engine fire. the other two did.
Distributor is still in all although some already took the cap and as rotor from the non fire car (along with the A/c, cruise control, throttle capstan) radiator is gone along with fan as well. I took another look at that big blue wire on the firewall today. I don't recall seeing that on mine. I'll check soon enough.
Big snow coming so likely no work on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I really hope once I get everything back together the A/C and the cruise control will work. I'd be thrilled to have a fully functioning 30 year old XJS.

I suspect you're right. The list could be endless, long enough to build another car!!

Thanks for the word on NLA parts.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 PM

I forgot to mention that I noticed something on the '86 cabriolet that I also took home. On the side vent pillars the metal piece has a small "leaping kitty" emblem at the bottom. The coupes don't have that. It looks kind of kewl. Nice bit of finishing trim. Two posts fit thru drilled holes in metal piece held in place with lock washers on the backside. Might have to change the angle of the kitty to make it fit.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM

I stopped in to look at my car on the way home tonite. I now see the big wire going from each side of the car along the firewall. It is just tucked in neat and tight along the firewall in a channel. Its not blue so there was nothing to catch my attention before. All is well in my world again. lol. I know more than I did and nothing is amiss on the car.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM

My headliner refurbishment wasn't going as well as I wanted so it was back to the junkyard this morning for the headliner board out of the champagne colored '89. Came out fine and is now at the interior shop. Fingers crossed. The headliner board came out of the car very easily and I did not even take the passenger seat out this time. It is a complete myth that you have to go thru the windshield or rear window to take the headliner out

I did pull a bunch of fuses from behind the glove box dash area: a big blue one (fan relay?), a red one, a white one, a black round one and a smaller square yellow one. Not absolutely sure that my '87 is identical to '89's but better safe than sorry. I am sure any one of those fuses would be expensive to replace.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Grant Francis (03-18-2017), orangeblossom (03-18-2017)