XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel Pump Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting comment; if you put a second fuel tank in the trunk you may have an insurance problem. If you put an external fuel pump in the trunk you wont have an insurance problem?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Besides insurance considerations etal, if you tied two tanks together with a common fuel connection and an in-tank pump in the new tank plumbed to the motor; wouldn't that work? It seems to me in that scenario you have increased the size of the tank and moved the pump to a new location. The objective of the operation being the easy replacement of the pump.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Hi Afterburner

I was never intending to fit a second tank, that suggestion must have come from someone else and while I would rather fit an external Pump like on a Pre-facelift V12

At the end of the day it may be a lot less hassle just to replace the Pump that was already in there

Its just that I like 'modding' and building better mousetraps but maybe that's just me

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Doug (07-22-2018), Greg in France (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

At the end of the day it may be a lot less hassle just to replace the Pump that was already in there

Probably so

Its just that I like 'modding' and building better mousetraps but maybe that's just me
So do I ....although much less so, it seems, as I get older. Looking back over the decades I did lots of mods and told myself they were really, really necessary or really, really useful but, fact is, I just really, really enjoyed doing them.

There can be a lot of satisfaction in mods and/or upgrades but sometimes you gotta do a 'benefit versus effort' assessment.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (07-23-2018), orangeblossom (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

And your driving along miles from home and your In-Tank Fuel Pump packs up (this will be the second time its happened in 2 years) and cannot be fixed at the side of the road like an external pump can

That would be a very expensive recovery and the chances of an external rubber Fuel Pipe failure must be close to zero
Do you carry an external pump innypur spares? Ibmean, the German ADAC doesn't carry any fuel pumps to fit if you need a new one... But I'm giving up.

Btw., rubber pipe failure... Consider the fuel injector hoses. Now consider it again. How often have these cars gone up in flames?

But sure, I doubt a lot of things and asked for reason why it wouldn't work. I've give you some. If you didn't want vetos, don't ask for reasons not to do so... *sigh*

orangeblossom (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Do you carry an external pump innypur spares? Ibmean, the German ADAC doesn't carry any fuel pumps to fit if you need a new one... But I'm giving up.

Btw., rubber pipe failure... Consider the fuel injector hoses. Now consider it again. How often have these cars gone up in flames?

But sure, I doubt a lot of things and asked for reason why it wouldn't work. I've give you some. If you didn't want vetos, don't ask for reasons not to do so... *sigh*
Hi Daim

I don't think you read my Post properly?

While I don't carry a Spare Fuel Pump, I did say that I can phone up one of my friends who would bring me a new one out if I broke down where putting on a New External Pump would be very easy

And I also like to 'Mod' my Car just because I find that interesting

Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

Well, then you don't drive far enough... If I was on holiday with my XJ-S in say Sweden, I wouldn't know who to call to bring me a fuel pump. So no matter if in tank or external, I would be stuck.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

bränslepump tack

Old 07-23-2018, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
bränslepump tack

Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 AM

I agree with Doug (DD) I think we do mods because we can, and it's our modification; and it gives us personal satisfaction. I find comments and thoughts presented here very informative and helpful.
In the US and I suspect in Europe you can obtain towing insurance that will tow you to the nearest garage. Mine costs $6.00 a year. I lost a fuel pump in the middle of Wyoming years ago
and had a tow truck arrive in about 45 minutes..I could have lost a distributes or a head gasket or any number of things. The question is how many spares can you carry to cover emergencies and how far are you from a friend?
Reading your comments and participating in your conversations is very constructive, but the real plus is the data base that we are all building over the years. That's the real plus!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:37 PM

OB, Greg talked about this. This site might be of interest to you

http://atlinc.com/atl-swirl-pot-st540.html

orangeblossom (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by afterburner1
OB, Greg talked about this. This site might be of interest to you

http://atlinc.com/atl-swirl-pot-st540.html
Hi Afterburner

Cheers!

But probably overkill for normal applications

Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

In-Tank Fuel Pump Recommendation wanted

After looking into it, I've decided to fit another In-Tank Fuel Pump, as the OEM Tank on my Car has a very awkward Fuel Inlet to try and modify

Many of the Suitable In-Tank Pumps on ebay are 120LPH at 12V going up to 140LPH at 13V (no idea why they mention 13V) on a Car with a 12V System

But what I have found is an In-Tank Fuel Pump for a Nissan Silvia 200SX which is 255LPH which seems to have a compatible plug for the existing wiring harness (if you can call 2 wires and a plug a harness)

While the bottom end of the Pump looks compatible with the retaining bracket, so unless anyone has a better idea, I am thinking of going with that one

Nissan Silvia 200SX Fuel Pump

What do you think Guys, looks like an ideal replacement to me

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Give Rockauto a try. Type in the brand, car, year and engine and you'll get exactly fitting pumps for very good prices. I frequently order from there and can't complain. Most things are better quality. Get something from Denso, as I am sure that is what Jaguar fitted...

Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

Cheers! I never thought or ordering from the US and Rock Auto looks a great place and seems to have exactly what I wanted but do you know if there is any Import duty to be added on?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes there is, as all imports into the EU over a certain purchase price require mandatory import duties. RA offer a customs service, if you use Fedex or DHL. Then you pay them in advance and have no problems going to pick anything up from the customs office...

Important: not only the purchase price determins your duties, but also the P&P. So if you order something for say £20, you may not need to pay. But the shipping costs are also added. You then pay the duties of shipping AND item. Don't be frightend though. I ordered 3 AC hoses. I paid like €15 on import duties for a sum of something like €160. The duties aren't high.

Last edited by Daim; 07-26-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Hi Daim

Cheers! I never thought or ordering from the US and Rock Auto looks a great place and seems to have exactly what I wanted but do you know if there is any Import duty to be added on?
There is always duty due the rate is about 20% from memory, but there is a de minimis practical limit below which duty is often waived. usually about 50 quid or so. As Daim said, Rockauto are really good, and even wth post and duty often miles cheaper than the UK let alone over here!

orangeblossom (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg@Daim

Cheers Guys, their Fan Clutches are really cheap as well but unless I missed something I couldn`t find any mechanical Fans to go with them

Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

They don't have everything. But most nornal parts what a car needs is sold there. All for good prices...

orangeblossom (07-26-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys

I am about to put a New Fuel Pump in my XJS 4.0L Celebration Convertible which has an In-Tank Fuel Pump

An OEM Fuel Pump for this Car is around £100 while one from a Ford Sierra is about £15 and they both look almost identical, as do many other Ford In-Tank Fuel Pumps

These New Ford Fuel Pumps come with a Wiring Harness, which is basically a Plug that goes into the Fuel Pump with a couple of Wires coming out of it to accept whatever plug you want to put on the end of those two Wires

As for me I can't see any point in Spending £100 on a Fuel Pump if a £15 Ford Fuel Pump will do the same job, where the only problem I can see is finding a Plug (The White one in the photo) to go on the end of the Wires of the Ford Pump

Does anyone know the name of this White Plug so I can get one on ebay or could I somehow take the White Plug off the Fuel Pump and re-use it

Just in case you were wondering the Plug on the other end that goes into the Ford Fuel Pump also looks different, so I can't just swap the harness over and re-use it on a New Ford Fuel Pump

Any ideas?

Jaguar Fuel Pump with 'White Plug' that goes into the Socket of the Round Evaporator that fits onto the Top of the Fuel Tank with a Sealing Collar

Where can I get a 'White Plug' like this to go on a Ford Fuel Pump which looks exactly the same apart from the Plug and the Price!
Hi
i have just read the responses to your post re fuel pump, I also have a 1995 4.L Convertible and I want to explore the possibilities of creating an access to replace the pump without dismantling the roof setup in the boot etc.
I know most people say it cannot be done but I want to have a look, can you tell me the exact location of the pump ? to give me a starting point please and I will go from there also can you recommend a decent manual for doing the pump?
thanks very much
michael

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Dilemma