XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Getting started...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started...

well i'm starting to fix my grandpa's old jag that he left me...i'm gonna try to get some pics up to make it easier to help me with my questions. and i just wanted to know what should i start doing with it first? as in cycling out the old gas? and it has been sitting in my garage for 8-10 years so i now that i need to cycle out the gas get a new battery because the old one won't take a charge. so any ideas are good so thanks!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts

Oy vey, 8-10 years?

First I'd carefully inspect the underhood fuel hoses and wiring for rodent damage. A fire is the last thing you need.

Yeah, pump out the old gas and replace with a few gallons of new. Change the oil and install a pre-filled filter...make sure you have coolant... and try to fire her up. If it runs for a couple minutes and sounds OK, shut 'er off and start looking at the rest of the car to size up the situation. If it won't run, well......geeez....what a dilemma.

To be 100% honest I can see many potential problems: rusty fuel tank, rusty brake hydraulics, dried/shrunk transmission seals, varnish/gummed fuel pump, hoses, and injectors, etc.

I understand there is perhaps a sentimental thing here, and maybe the car is extra nice in many respects....but ...go in with both eyes open. These cars are tricky to own even under the best of circumstances. I see "money pit" written all over this.

Enough of the sermon. If you're willing to dig in many here will help.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Oy vey, 8-10 years?

First I'd carefully inspect the underhood fuel hoses and wiring for rodent damage. A fire is the last thing you need.

Yeah, pump out the old gas and replace with a few gallons of new. Change the oil and install a pre-filled filter...make sure you have coolant... and try to fire her up. If it runs for a couple minutes and sounds OK, shut 'er off and start looking at the rest of the car to size up the situation. If it won't run, well......geeez....what a dilemma.

To be 100% honest I can see many potential problems: rusty fuel tank, rusty brake hydraulics, dried/shrunk transmission seals, varnish/gummed fuel pump, hoses, and injectors, etc.

I understand there is perhaps a sentimental thing here, and maybe the car is extra nice in many respects....but ...go in with both eyes open. These cars are tricky to own even under the best of circumstances. I see "money pit" written all over this.

Enough of the sermon. If you're willing to dig in many here will help.

Cheers
DD
well i did see that there were some rodent problems as in feces but i look at the wiring and it seemed to be okay a wire or two might be disconnected... but that should be too big of a problem. the car did run when we stowed it away so I'm thinking it couldn't be that bad except for the aging problems. i was thinking of possibly replacing the old fuel tank because I'm pretty sure there is a few gallons in there or maybe have it cleaned... i was thinking is there any things that i could run through the carburetor or fuel tank tat could clean the fuel pumps? and as for the other thing lets say all the worst happens as for the list that you said how much would you think it's going to cost to replace those things?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts

You could remove the tank and have it professionally cleaned then add some fuel injection cleaner to the fresh gasoline....it might clean any varnished fuel in the lines and injectors. It all depends how bad things are.

It's not unusual to buy a fair/decent XJS in *running* condition and spend thousands od dollars bringing everything back up to good condition if you are paying a shop to do the work. You won't spend any less with your car, that's for sure.

If you're a decent DIY mechanic you can save lots of money, of course.

Cheers
DD