XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ghetto Brake Fluid Flush - Does It Work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I'm going to throw in here.

If brake fluid didn't "cycle around" then the reservoir fluid would never get dirty. In fact, after you park your car the brake fluid naturally circulates, as the fluid at the calipers is hottest, and rises in the system.

But, how long will that take? I'm not sure if I'd choose the word 'circulates'. I think of it as 'migrates'

If you don't have the money to have someone do it, or the time to change it, I am all for doing reservoir swaps once a year to keep fresh fluid circulating in your system.
I flush my system every 2 years, 3 years at the most.

I can see changing out the fluid in the reservoir between actual flushes just to sweeten things up but not for eliminating cruddy fluid.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

NEVER push fluid back into the reservoir on a car equipped with ABS, the possibility of crud (as evident in the reservoir) fouling the valve block in the ABS unit is quite possible. End result ABS problems.
It would be interesting to check the quality of the BF coming out of the caliper versus the reservoir to see how much difference in them is. I will be doing this when I get my XJR back from the panel beaters after having an off caused by brake fade, BF in reservoir measured <1% moisture before the vent. Mind you I was pushing quite hard